MSHSL says No to seeding State FB playoffs

Is it really that bad to be seeded 8th in a state tournament? Will kids get scarred? Of course not, but the MSHSL apparently thinks it is.
It's just a concocted excuse so that they don't have to change.

Was there a vote again this year on boy's volleyball? I'd really love to see it pass.
They finally passed something that is like a half-way step to sanctioning it.

Spring sport coaches are the ones fighting it. So pathetic. Fight against more opportunities for kids, and especially as the Vball people have shown time and time again that the kids on the club teams now are largely not taking away from other varsity sports.

Was there a vote again this year on boy's volleyball? I'd really love to see it pass.

this is from an MPR article from last December.

Boys volleyball is on the way to becoming a sanctioned high school sport, after twice being rejected by the Minnesota State High School League.

The league's board last week approved boys volleyball as an emerging sport for next year, and recommended it be fully sanctioned in two years.

Boys volleyball has been a club sport for several years, organized by the Minnesota Boys High School Volleyball Association.

"Our organization will bridge the gap with the Minnesota State High School League and we'll work together,” association president Jenny Kilkelly said. “So they'll definitely still be spring league that will run, it just won't be fully sanctioned and fully run by the Minnesota State High School league until the [2024]-25 school year."

Kilkelly expects more than 60 Minnesota schools to offer boys volleyball as a sport in the spring.

A final vote to officially sanction high school boys’ volleyball is expected in May.

this is from an MPR article from last December.

Boys volleyball is on the way to becoming a sanctioned high school sport, after twice being rejected by the Minnesota State High School League.

The league's board last week approved boys volleyball as an emerging sport for next year, and recommended it be fully sanctioned in two years.

Boys volleyball has been a club sport for several years, organized by the Minnesota Boys High School Volleyball Association.

"Our organization will bridge the gap with the Minnesota State High School League and we'll work together,” association president Jenny Kilkelly said. “So they'll definitely still be spring league that will run, it just won't be fully sanctioned and fully run by the Minnesota State High School league until the [2024]-25 school year."

Kilkelly expects more than 60 Minnesota schools to offer boys volleyball as a sport in the spring.

A final vote to officially sanction high school boys’ volleyball is expected in May.
This is really bad for high school track and field.

a lot of the interest for Boys VB has come from minorities - lot of kids from Asian background - who are probably not playing the traditional spring sports of Baseball, golf or track.

and there could be some sport sharing. I've seen a number of kids play baseball and run some track meets as their schedule permits.

a lot of the interest for Boys VB has come from minorities - lot of kids from Asian background - who are probably not playing the traditional spring sports of Baseball, golf or track.

and there could be some sport sharing. I've seen a number of kids play baseball and run some track meets as their schedule permits.
Possible.
Still going to be really bad for track and field

Possible.
Still going to be really bad for track and field
Why track and field specifically? Why not tennis, golf, or baseball?
Not to mention, interest in sports changes over time. Maybe a number of kids think VB is a more fun activity than running track?

If it becomes sanctioned, I'm going to encourage my son to try volleyball. It's a super fun game.

Not to mention, interest in sports changes over time. Maybe a number of kids think VB is a more fun activity than running track?

If it becomes sanctioned, I'm going to encourage my son to try volleyball. It's a super fun game.
Because track and field is a numbers dependent non cut sport and it’s going to take kids away from it.

That’s fine if you don’t care about track and field. But track and field is the sport that will be most hurt by this.

Because track and field is a numbers dependent non cut sport and it’s going to take kids away from it.

That’s fine if you don’t care about track and field. But track and field is the sport that will be most hurt by this.
I hadn't thought about the no-cut aspect of it.

In the current state, that's incorrect. I forget the exact figure, but the boys who participate in what is already a pretty robust system of club teams that compete during the spring season and for a non-MSHSL sanctioned state title, largely were not former other spring sport athletes or indicated that they gave up another spring sport to play volleyball. It's large new participation opportunities.

That of course doesn't mean it couldn't go more that way once it is sanctioned.

Fantastic crossover sport for bball players.

It's entirely possible that a player could split time between two sports in the spring, especially at smaller schools.

It's entirely possible that a player could split time between two sports in the spring, especially at smaller schools.
Well maybe coaches will have the change how they do it but this won’t fly with 80-90% of coaches.

Fantastic crossover sport for bball players.
My 8th grade basketball player is signing up for volleyball this year. Loved it in PE class and wants to play it as a sport.

I don't think it will have much impact on other sports. Maybe cut down on some of the kids playing basketball in the spring.

Outside of relays, track is an individual sport. I get they made a team scoring component out of it, but track and wrestling are individual sports. Individuals that like it will still compete in track. It's all about opportunity.

Well maybe coaches will have the change how they do it but this won’t fly with 80-90% of coaches.
If a bball guy with a lean body and great springs wants to play and focus on vball, but also wants to just do high jump and is willing to practice it once a week in addition to coming to the meets, that’s not good enough for the coach?

I have no idea. I’m just sayin

If a bball guy with a lean body and great springs wants to play and focus on vball, but also wants to just do high jump and is willing to practice it once a week in addition to coming to the meets, that’s not good enough for the coach?

I have no idea. I’m just sayin
I’m saying most coaches don’t get into that
But maybe they will more often

My wild guess is the body types won’t match up between the sports for most events. Even long/triple, I don’t think being tall is beneficial. Baseball is also highly specialized.

I would think boys lacrosse would take more from track than anything.

Top Bottom