Move Ed/Tommy Olson to DEFENSE???

g1976b

Reaction score
Context: KFAN Gopher show talking about the coaching search and how it's important to put talent on the defensive side of the ball to win games. (I agree). Then, out of nowhere, the Fargo Flash says:

"Take Ed Olson and his brother that is coming in here. They're great players. But, I mean, you couldn't you put them on the defensive side of the ball maybe at DT or DE?"

The stupidity leaves me SPEECHLESS. In general, sure. Put talent on the defensive side of the ball when you have athletes that can play multiple positions. But these are TOP recruits on the OL. I just don't get it. This is a former GOPHER spouting out these ideas. How STUPID are people?!?!

Could one of the Olson brothers play D? We need help there first. I thought the comment was spot on if the kids are elite players.

I don't think the defense will too bad next year. We're young and inexperienced and it shows. Next year we'll have a defense full of seniors and I expect the results will be different. Add Beal to the mix at linebacker and I think we have something.

I can't agree more.

How many guys have to be moved to defense? We have been moving guys that direction under Brewster from the very beginning. To rebuild this program you need to have a defense for sure but before that you better have one good offensive line. Put a good O-Line on the field and everything changes. Mason's Gopher teams had great RB's but the line is what carried the team even with pathetic defenses. The Gopher D a year ago was one of the best the school has had in some time but the offense was so terrible it didnt matter. Build the O-line with the Olson's, Gjere, and the other recruits and the program can turn around. The Defense with another year and all the experience this year should be better next year. Hopefully its a big enough of a turnaround to make am impact in the win vs loss record.

Could one of the Olson brothers play D? We need help there first. I thought the comment was spot on if the kids are elite players.

Fargo, is that you??? My brain exploded when I heard that comment. Possibly the dumbest take I've ever heard on the fan line, and that's saying something. I should expect better out of our alumni, but I just got done reading about Jack Brewer wanting Mason to come back to coach us again. Jeez, good thing these guys had tutors for school.

The Fargo Flash

has proven with his comments throughout the past few years with KFAN that he is not a head coach candidate, but with his football opinions and knowledge we do need someone to wash the jockstraps! He and PA can form the jockstrap sniffers club!

Tommy plays DT for just about every snap for his HS team... that being said, his nastiness better translates to the O-line at the next level... but not dumbest take ever to suggest that he play along the D-line for the Gophers... Ed, not so much this far in.

Tommy plays DT for just about every snap for his HS team... that being said, his nastiness better translates to the O-line at the next level... but not dumbest take ever to suggest that he play along the D-line for the Gophers... Ed, not so much this far in.

He does play a lot of d-line, but he is far from dominating like he is when he plays on the o-line. He is an average d-tackle, in all honesty...........

Year over year Talent Management of the D line

Depth at the defensive front is thin. Too many bunched into a single year. We need to take in 2-3 front guys each year to be consistent. This year is a nightmare for recruiting. The class remains in tact but the fact we are stuck at less than our goal is putting the whole thing at risk. We will need to have some good walk ons come on board to make even a slight push forward in the next two years. It will take at least 3 years before the defense is out of the cellar from a talent management perspective. Yes, a new coach can teach up the performance. But, not outside of their natural talents. Given what we have returning, I would think we could rise no higher than 70th in ranking. If we move players we might be able to move to a rank of 50. That would give the offense enough of a fighting chance to win games. At 50, we still have more risk, but the program would mark steps forward. May have to sacrifice a player or two to do that until we can recruit better and more consistently.

How many 6-7 300+ defensive lineman are there around the Big Ten? He is the prototypical OT and that is the correct place to put him. I'm all for moving talented athletes to the defensive side of the ball but you have to recognize certain players fit better at certain offensive positions. Also, there isn't a unit in football that is more important than the offensive line and LT is generally considered the most important position along the OL.

There is a reason Fargo Flash is working at General Mills and not coaching a college team.

Context: KFAN Gopher show talking about the coaching search and how it's important to put talent on the defensive side of the ball to win games. (I agree). Then, out of nowhere, the Fargo Flash says:

"Take Ed Olson and his brother that is coming in here. They're great players. But, I mean, you couldn't you put them on the defensive side of the ball maybe at DT or DE?"

The stupidity leaves me SPEECHLESS. In general, sure. Put talent on the defensive side of the ball when you have athletes that can play multiple positions. But these are TOP recruits on the OL. I just don't get it. This is a former GOPHER spouting out these ideas. How STUPID are people?!?!

This is only half correct. Conzemius WAS talking about moving the best athletes to defense, an idea that has been mentioned on this board many times.

However, he was NOT talking about Olson. He was talking about the McAvoys, who have committed here. I don't think he used anybody's name in particular, but he mentioned "the twins" who play offensive line and have committed. I don't know if that makes the idea better or worse. But he wasn't talking about either Olson.

We are losing most of the O-line starters (seniors) at the end of the season, and someone thinks it would be a good idea to move a few more players with experience playing O-line to the other side of the ball? Huh? The defense just needs a good coach and another spring of experience. They should be much better next year (assuming current Freshmen/RFreshmen don't transfer out).

He does play a lot of d-line, but he is far from dominating like he is when he plays on the o-line. He is an average d-tackle, in all honesty...........

JackiO, you'll have to excuse Doogie. He isn't very good at this sports stuff. Especially football.

JackiO, you'll have to excuse Doogie. He isn't very good at this sports stuff. Especially football.

Okay D bag. I've been to every single Mahtomedi game this year. Look at the rushing yards allowed by mahtomedi. Shut your mouth

It is an absolutely atrocious take. I'm not even trying to use hyperbole, but it is a terrible idea. Almost every big time division 1 recruit plays both sides of the field. Seantrel played DT last season on quite a few snaps (and was pretty good on that side of the ball). The fact that TOmmy plays some DT against Simley doesn't even slightly infer that he would be succesful at that position against Sconny. I'm not ripping on the kid, I think he will be a tremendous offensive lineman.

It is one thing to bring up this idea on a team that has an embarrasment of riches at certain positions. (Like maybe I could see Wisconsin talking about moving one of their 4 decent RBs), but to suggest that we move one of our better O-Line prospects to a side of the ball he was merely average at in HS is shockingly stupid.

It is an absolutely atrocious take.

Could not agree more. I often wonder the following about the Fargo Flash:

1. Is he watching the same games we are?
2. How could he have ever played college football, his observations / opinions are just horrible and oftentimes flat out wrong. See the beginning of the year when he formed the opinon that tall QB's had fallen out of favor with the NFL. What the?
3. His continued presence on KFAN, being held out as an "expert" on Gopher Football, shapes public opinon of the casual fan/listener. That is not good, because he spouts horrible takes and opinions. Most recently...Ty Willingham. 'nough said.

This is only half correct. Conzemius WAS talking about moving the best athletes to defense, an idea that has been mentioned on this board many times.

However, he was NOT talking about Olson. He was talking about the McAvoys, who have committed here. I don't think he used anybody's name in particular, but he mentioned "the twins" who play offensive line and have committed. I don't know if that makes the idea better or worse. But he wasn't talking about either Olson.

Actually HM, he was for sure talking about the Olson's. I was with my buddy at the time and our jaws dropped. In fact, I would be very surprised if Fargo even knew who the McAvoy's are. It's gonna be my word against your's, but he definitely named Ed and Tom Olson.

You're making me question if I heard it right though...

Actually HM, he was for sure talking about the Olson's. I was with my buddy at the time and our jaws dropped. In fact, I would be very surprised if Fargo even knew who the McAvoy's are. It's gonna be my word against your's, but he definitely named Ed and Tom Olson.

I can't say for sure that you're wrong. I don't remember him mentioning the Olsons by name, but maybe he did. I do know for sure he mentioned "the twins." With two sets of brothers on the OL -- and three of the four aren't here yet -- it's easy to get confused by all of them.

Yep, I don't want to get into a pissing match here but I very much stand by my original post...it WAS the Olson's he was referring to.

Also, Stan brings up another good point. During the same segment, the Flash was touting TY WILLINGHAM as the next Gopher coach because he's a "winner" and has a "big name". Also I believe said something weird like he would be at a big advantage in the Big Ten due to the fact that he's African American and that would help tremendously (I believe he was referring to recruiting).

Yes! Ty is certainly a winner...

11-37 at Washington. 6-29 in the PAC 10.

The next job that guy should get is at Macalester. Another example of The Flash being completely out of touch.

Top Bottom