More from Fuller Blog - Gophers making late recruiting push

VarmintKong

Reaction score
From the Pioneer Press website:

Less than a week before signing day, the Minnesota football coaches are working hard to fill the rest of their needs in the 2010 recruiting class.

The biggest area seems to be the defensive line, because the Gophers picked up an oral commitment this week from defensive end Ben Perry of Southlake Carroll High School in Texas, according to GopherIllustrated.com.

The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Perry becomes the 13th defensive player to join this year's class. Minnesota coach Tim Brewster is also trying to land a late gem in three-star safety Earnest Thomas from St. Mary's High School in Michigan.

Thomas, who recently visited Minnesota, will likely decide on signing day Wednesday between the Gophers, Wisconsin and Illinois. At 6-2, 195 pounds, Thomas might be able to play immediately.

-- Trinity Catholic High School athlete Marquise Hill told me Wednesday that some schools still were recruiting him pretty hard, even though he's committed to the Gophers. Hill, who expects to compete for a starting wide receiver spot, said he planned to sign next Wednesday with Minnesota.

The 6-0, 165-pound senior told that to the other programs trying to get him to renege on his commitment, but that didn't stop them from making their case. Hill is a former Missouri commit, and he also had Nebraska high on his list.

"Other schools are just coming in now, and they're telling me they're going go send me papers on signing day," Hill said, "just in case I change my mind or something like that."

Hill said it really made a difference to him that new offensive coordinator Jeff Horton called him as soon as he was officially announced as the replacement for Jedd Fisch, who left to take the Seattle Seahawks quarterbacks coaching job last week.

-- CBS College Sports Television recruiting expert Tom Lemming said he expected Brewster's 2010 recruiting class to be ranked fifth in the Big Ten right now which is ahead of Wisconsin.Lemming will have Cretin-Derham Hall lineman Seantrel Henderson announce his college decision Wednesday on his CSTV signing day show in New York.
Lemming said he has no idea what Henderson's decision will be, but he thinks Ohio State, Southern Cal and Minnesota are three of the top schools being considered.

Good stuff, hopefully the hard work pays off. Good to see Horton help keep Hill solid.

I like Lemming and all but I have a feeling his including Minnesota in the Henderson talks is just his way of sticking up for Brewster since he has indicated before of being a Brewster supporter.

From everything I have read and heard (majority from rivals radio) that Henderson is down to Ohio St, USC, Florida with Miami and Notre Dame making a late push. Also I have read that Iowa is a sleeper.

I like Lemming and all but I have a feeling his including Minnesota in the Henderson talks is just his way of sticking up for Brewster since he has indicated before of being a Brewster supporter.

From everything I have read and heard (majority from rivals radio) that Henderson is down to Ohio St, USC, Florida with Miami and Notre Dame making a late push. Also I have read that Iowa is a sleeper.

Considering that Iowa is no longer recruiting Henderson... That would be some sleeper.

That being said, we will know all too soon. Cross your fingers and hope for the best but don't be surprised if Henderson doesn't choose the Gophers.

Top Bottom