More details emerge in UNC academic fraud case; McCants says Ol' Roy knew

Norwood was associate AD at UNC from 2002-05, right at the heart of this thing, although he was more in charge of external partnerships. I wonder if he'll be part of the story in any way.

Just to be devil's advocate, wasn't the crux of the Gophers problem that Clem had knowledge, organized, and encouraged the cheating while at the same time, the University was seen as not providing appropriate, minimum oversight?

I seem to remember Clem has some sort of oversight to the academic counseling program that Ganglehoff worked at and this was seen as different than other universities. In effect, the U was guilty of creating a system set up for cheating. It was a perfect storm.

Clem's actions were worse than whether Roy knew about the cheating. To be the same, it needs to be proven that Roy approved and organized the cheating. I suspect he was smart enough to avoid anything that will implicate him.

this is kinda how I see it too

Clem's program's cheating was against Minnesota Pollicy
Roy's program's cheating was with UNC Policy

the NCAA might act against an athletic department, but would they act against a University?

UNC should be facing unaccredidation

Illinois fans and Bruce Weber should feel the most upset.

That said, I would think the statute of limitations has passed long ago for anything that McCants has alleged.

Ol' Roy is so popular that WalMart even named their schittie dog food after him.

Illinois fans and Bruce Weber should feel the most upset.

That said, I would think the statute of limitations has passed long ago for anything that McCants has alleged.

Does the statute of limitation apply outside the court of law? We aren't talking about felonies here, it's the NCAA?

Norwood was associate AD at UNC from 2002-05, right at the heart of this thing, although he was more in charge of external partnerships. I wonder if he'll be part of the story in any way.

I knew something was fishy about this guy from day 1 -:)

This is at least as bad as what MN did. The University itself seems to be involved in this charade, rather than a rogue tutor and the players arranging it themslves. Yet their punishment will be far, far less.

this is kinda how I see it too

Clem's program's cheating was against Minnesota Pollicy
Roy's program's cheating was with UNC Policy

the NCAA might act against an athletic department, but would they act against a University?

UNC should be facing unaccredidation

Eh, the NCAA brought a huge hammer down on PSU for the Sandusky issue. Sandusky wasn't even part of the football program there (but WAS given emeritus status at the university), at the time he was accused of an episode of molestation on-campus.

The issue there was that there was a major public outcry, and the NCAA vastly overstepped its bounds to immediately act on the PSU case. There is no major public outcry on the UNC cheating issue. Thus, the NCAA will likely do everything it can to hope the issue just goes away and avoid having to do anything to one of their darling East Coast schools.

And, to me, that's exactly what this is all about - whether every school is held to the same rules and, by extension, allowed to compete on an equal footing. It's ultimately a matter of competition. If it wasn't about competition we might as well watch the Globetrotters play the Generals every night.

Perfectly stated.

We support the team in hopes of lots of W's.

Trent Tucker was just giving his opinion in his KFAN show, saying it would have been best if McCants would have kept quiet about it at this late date. To me, Trent sounds like someone who participated in or was aware of shenanigans like this during his time at the U. Just reading between the lines.

Highly doubt anything will come of this, unfortunately. The NCAA has already pretended nothing actually happened at UNC, probably thanks to some nice political maneuvering and internal reviews that, big surprise, resulted in nothing. As for UNC themselves, their plan of attack has been to attempt discrediting anybody has had the gall to call them out. It happened with Willingham and no doubt, they'll now unleash on McCants. Granted, McCants has an ego the size of the solar system and that's not going to help him here. But make no mistake, UNC will do absolutely anything to absolve themselves of wrongdoing. They're already starting to sound like the loonies in Crappy Valley. In other words, the Tarheel faithful will become another case study in self delusion.

Highly doubt anything will come of this, unfortunately. The NCAA has already pretended nothing actually happened at UNC, probably thanks to some nice political maneuvering and internal reviews that, big surprise, resulted in nothing. As for UNC themselves, their plan of attack has been to attempt discrediting anybody has had the gall to call them out. It happened with Willingham and no doubt, they'll now unleash on McCants. Granted, McCants has an ego the size of the solar system and that's not going to help him here. But make no mistake, UNC will do absolutely anything to absolve themselves of wrongdoing. They're already starting to sound like the loonies in Crappy Valley. In other words, the Tarheel faithful will become another case study in self delusion.

Pretty good article about the academic scandal at UNC.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-02-27/in-fake-classes-scandal-unc-fails-its-athletes-whistle-blower#p1

This isn't just going to "go away". Even ESPN has this at the top of their NCAAM story list. The NCAA is going to have to come out with something. Anything less than major sanctions will end with the NCAA looking weaker than they are already perceived. They care more about the organization than they care about one single university. My guess is that they wreck UNC over this.

This isn't just going to "go away". Even ESPN has this at the top of their NCAAM story list. The NCAA is going to have to come out with something. Anything less than major sanctions will end with the NCAA looking weaker than they are already perceived. They care more about the organization than they care about one single university. My guess is that they wreck UNC over this.

Never underestimate the power of waiting something out and letting it blow over. Ask the archdiocese about that tactic.

This is one time I'll stand with Duke. They should make sure this stays alive. Then again, Maybe Coach K just doesn't want anyone looking in his glass house.

Never underestimate the power of waiting something out and letting it blow over. Ask the archdiocese about that tactic.

It's like my catholic schoolmate keeps telling me......"we must have not been very cute cause the priests never hit on us."

Probably something similar to Russ Archambault. ... somewhere along the line there became an ax to grind. Now's his chance to get back at UNC or Williams for whatever perceived misdeed they did to him. I don't believe for a second he's doing this for the "betterment" of everyone in the future.

Exactly; DPOdoll wants 2 more years of probation for the U while UNC continues their cheating ways!!

There's currently an article on the front page of ESPN saying "Roy Williams in disbelief over McCants' claims."

And here's a statement from Ol' Roy:

This is one time I'll stand with Duke. They should make sure this stays alive. Then again, Maybe Coach K just doesn't want anyone looking in his glass house.

Duke has their own example of a situation just "going away" over time (see Corey Maggette).

Does anyone remember this fantastic Rashad McCants quote?

"The Development League is nothing but what my agent told me is a plea from the league saying, that ‘We want you to show humility to get back in (the NBA),' " McCants said.

If that was the goal, it didn't work.

After initially saying he was better than 70-percent of the players in the NBA, McCants upped the ante after being told his agent thought the percentage was even higher.

"I was being modest saying 70-percent," McCants said. "My honest opinion is 95-percent. I don't even think there are top-tier All-Stars who are better than me, and they know who they are."

I have no doubt that UNC is guilty here, but I'm not sure that McCants has earned our attention to his opinion

You can delete my post but the bottom line is the DPBarbie thinks that NC should get off scot free while UofM should get death penalty because Clem neglected to add a layer to the accountability chain, LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

You can delete my post but the bottom line is the DPBarbie thinks that NC should get off scot free while UofM should get death penalty because Clem neglected to add a layer to the accountability chain, LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

You and your butt buddy BadGopher can make up stories about me all you want, big guy. DPBarbie, you're just so goshdarned clever. I bet jokes like that kill with your coworkers at Mickey D's.

Top Bottom