More Brew Delusion

LesBolstad

Reaction score
On Sports Huddle this a.m. Brew:

"Now our goal is to win our final 5 out of 6 so we are bowl eligible. I really believe we can do it and it's something the kids are buying into."

Wow.

I'll be the first to say it: "What did you expect Brewster to say? We suck and it is only a matter of time before I am fired." But I understand your point.

I firmly believe if we win out we'll not only go to a bowl game, but be ranked.

See I can do it too.

On Sports Huddle this a.m. Brew:

"Now our goal is to win our final 5 out of 6 so we are bowl eligible. I really believe we can do it and it's something the kids are buying into."

Wow.

His goal is to save his job by any means necessary, even if it means continuing to try and sell this completely unfounded point of view. A few years back people might have actually listened. Now? Not so much.

If Brewster gives up on the team and stops being positive and trying to win the remaining games GopherHole posters will be coming out of the woodwork to rip him. People are becoming irrational about Brewster

And that means Adam Weber is gonna be our QB until the season ends. Very typical of Brewster.

And that means Adam Weber is gonna be our QB until the season ends. Very typical of Brewster.

Well he's in 'job protect' mode, for however much good that will do him (and I suspect not much). But he's trying to save his job, so benching his senior QB I'm sure is out of the question. He's not going to worry about getting developmental time for Alipate or Grey for next year, when most likely Brew won't even be here next year.

Brew must know the season is lost.
He must know his career here is done after this year.
Yet he pretends like he is not done.... that leaves me with one question:

The present is lost, so why not get a jump-start on the future --- why not play Gray to get some experience? Or if Gray is our future permanent WR, why not start someone else? Alipate? Anyone? Bueller?

What's sad is that with a different coach, I actually believe winning 5 of the final 6 games is possible.

Ohio State is the toughest remaining game... and that's at home.

Penn State is down (losing to Illinois???) and that game is at home too.

Maybe I'm delusional as well--- but if we could find a way to win the Michigan State or Ohio State game, the 5 out of 6 theory isn't bad.

What Brewster is doing is giving his players a chance to win. If a team doesn't have a positive goal for the next game, they will not have a chance to succeed. This is true for any team, in any part of their schedule. Right now, the Gopher's goal is getting to a bowl game and they will prepare for it. Once they lose 7 games, they will have a different goal. Brewster is in over his head, but he does get a lot of things right, and this is one of them.

If Brewster gives up on the team and stops being positive and trying to win the remaining games GopherHole posters will be coming out of the woodwork to rip him. People are becoming irrational about Brewster

Amen. He's going to be gone after which, it appears that dogs will no longer be dialing the Humane Society Animal Abuse hotline every Saturday afternoon in the fall.

if we could find a way to win the Michigan State or Ohio State game, the 5 out of 6 theory isn't bad.

We'll be double digit underdogs and then some in both of those games. We have a better shot of beating Iowa than those two. Those two (MSU and OSU) are the least winnable games left on the schedule. In fact, we're a solid underdog in all remaining games now.

Low single digit underdog, winnable: vs. Penn State
High single digit underdog, but minimally winnable: @ Purdue
10+ point underdog, nearly impossible to win: @Illinois, vs. Iowa
20+ point underdog, no chance to win: @ MSU, vs. OSU

Great salesmen are like that. I've known a lot of them over the years and they'll sit opposite you with a mad gleam in their eye and teeth gritted, absolutely convinced they'll hit or exceed that quota. Then, when it dosn't happen, they drink a lot (not to imply this with Brew). They are totally convinced at the time and often convince others - I think that's what happened when Maturi interviewed Brewster.

<b>Great salesmen are like that.</b> I've known a lot of them over the years and they'll sit opposite you with a mad gleam in their eye and teeth gritted, absolutely convinced they'll hit or exceed that quota. Then, when it dosn't happen, they drink a lot (not to imply this with Brew). They are totally convinced at the time and often convince others - I think that's what happened when Maturi interviewed Brewster.

Actually, it is usually the POOR salesmen who are like that. The good ones get results.

The poor ones become delusional over time and need things to convince them they aren't as bad as they are. Unfortunately, Brewster is now officially (in my book) into the delusional state, and this after being a Brew backer for some time.

At some point, after people have realized that the snake oil does cure their ailment, the salesman needs to shut up because he will only then infuriate the duped masses.

At some point, after people have realized that the snake oil does cure their ailment, the salesman needs to shut up because he will only then infuriate the duped masses.

Coaches have contracts for shows like that. He can't just shut up and not fullfill his obligation to be there? Do you think he wants to be there saying this stuff? What would you prefer he say? He has to continue to do his best to make his team believe they can accomplish something.

He could try the ol' we are going to keep working hard and give the players the best opportunity to win the remaining games. But this crap about being bowl eligible needes to stop. I will be absolutely amazed if he can get the kids to win another game.

Do I expect Brewster to come out with negative statements about the team? No way, but the statement about winning 5 out of 6 to be bowl eligible is just another example of diarrhea of the mouth: say ANYTHING, no matter how preposterous. There's no way he's actually stupid enough to believe that's realistically possible, yet he says it anyway. He either thinks his audience is stupid, or he is just out of control at the mouth, and since he can't think of a well thought positive statement just goes with the first nice idea that pops into his brain. As I've said before, you can't trust someone like that because they are literally just talking gibberish. If that's indicative of his coaching style, I can only imagine the nonsense that the players are getting.

How about, "After several disappointing weeks, our goal right now is to right the ship and win next week in convincing fashion. If we accomplish that goal, we will focus 100% on winning the following week. With a string of tough losses we need to focus on executing here and now."

There. Positive statement that is nowhere NEAR as asinine as "our goal is to win 5 out of 6 and become bowl eligible."

Actually, it is usually the POOR salesmen who are like that. The good ones get results.

The poor ones become delusional over time and need things to convince them they aren't as bad as they are. Unfortunately, Brewster is now officially (in my book) into the delusional state, and this after being a Brew backer for some time.

EXACTLY!! brewster just needs to SHUT HIS DAMN MOUTH!! everything that he says is BS so why not just go about your job and not say anything?????

Amen,

I remember this one technical sales guy who would always take me out to lunch on the 29th of the month. At some point during the meal he'd bring up every quote he had given me in the last year, and then pester me as to whether I'd be placing an order by the end of the month.

The best was one time he took half of my department out for lunch at some seafood place that used to be in Galtier Plaza. The bill comes. I'm sitting next to this clown and get to watch as every credit card in his wallet gets declined. Eventually all of his customers had to take up a collection to pay the bill.

Somehow that seems like an apt metaphor for what we're going thru. We have a total putz at coach whose mouth is writing checks his azz can't cash, and we're the ones who will be stuck with the mess after the season.

Well he's in 'job protect' mode, for however much good that will do him (and I suspect not much). But he's trying to save his job, so benching his senior QB I'm sure is out of the question. He's not going to worry about getting developmental time for Alipate or Grey for next year, when most likely Brew won't even be here next year.

Right, and that means that Gray was never one play away from being the starting QB.

Here's an analogy. You are falling off a cliff. Your only chance is to grab at a small branch. It's not likely to work. Still, it's your goal to grab that branch, because there is no alternative. Brewster's goal SHOULD be to win out. Throwing in the towel on the season would just create more disarray on the team, and wouldn't help for next year.

Brewster's should and will be gone at the end of the season. I don't blame him for engaging in "coachspeak", that is what coaches do. We have 47 days left until the final game, probably no more than 50 days left until Brewster is fired.

Brew's problem has never been that he chooses to be positive and upbeat. That's fine most of the time. It's that he doesn't even realize how dillusional and moronic he sounds. You want to be positive? Talk about how your sole focus right now is on winning one game. How you believe you can beat Purdue and that's where all of your effort is. Don't tell me you think you can win 5 of 6 when everyone with a rational thought in thier head knows that not true. That's not unbridled optimism, it's demented dillusion. And if it was the first, second or third time he said something riduclous, I'd give him a pass. Sadly, it's not.

It might be satifsying for Brewster to wear sackcloth and ashes, wail, gnash his teeth and rend his garments, but it doesn't actually do any good.

Even though I do think that Brew should be fired at the end of this season, what else is he going to say? This has already been eluded to so not much else needs to be said about this.

And another thing, Brew is not going to bench Weber. Weber is 29th in the nation in QB rating (http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/collegeQuarterbackRating). Not great, but not terrible, and certainly better than last year. Of course he still makes "freshman-like" throws, but I still think he is our best option as of right now. Do many of you want Brewster to put our best WR at QB and sit our senior captain QB who seems like he is very popular with the rest of the team? Gray will get plenty of reps for QB next year during pre-season practices. He's a hell of an athlete and will have no problem maturing as our future starting QB. Like many have said before me, Brew is in job-saving mode. Weber gives us our best chance to win, mainly because Gray would be at WR where we aren't that deep.

Even though I do think that Brew should be fired at the end of this season, what else is he going to say? This has already been eluded to so not much else needs to be said about this.

And another thing, Brew is not going to bench Weber. Weber is 29th in the nation in QB rating (http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/collegeQuarterbackRating). Not great, but not terrible, and certainly better than last year.

Another example of how statistics can be misleading. That very list puts Weber at 8th among B10 QBs, ahead of Freshman at ILL & PSU, and a 2nd stringer at Purdue. Take away his garbage time production and he would be way down the list!

You could make an argument about three of the TD's being in garbage time (one each against Northern Illinois, USC, and Wisky), but it's not like those teams were letting us score on them. I wouldn't really call scoring against a 1st team defense with 5 minutes left in the game is garbage time. Especially when you are playing a rival, like Wisconsin, where they were still trying to beat the piss out of our offense.

Top Bottom