Monson fired...Tubby fired...

KyGopherfan

Reaction score
Who is next? There seems to be a trend at the U. Maybe it's not the coaches? Maybe it's the program and the lack of resources? Monson seems to be doing well at LBSU. Tubby certainly did well before Minnesota and I'm sure he'll do fine somewhere else. It's all fine and dandy to keep firing coaches, but the problems at the U are much deeper. If you think someone is gonna ride in here like a knight in shining armor and bring in B1G championships one year after another, you guys are gonna be sorely disappointed. There are some structural deficiencies at the athletics department and administration at Minnesota that won't be corrected with a new coach.

I agree with your post. Some of the deficiencies were corrected (hopefully) with the hiring of a new AD, so not all is doom and gloom.

It's a new administration, premise failed on transport to launch pad.

Who is next? There seems to be a trend at the U. Maybe it's not the coaches? Maybe it's the program and the lack of resources? Monson seems to be doing well at LBSU. Tubby certainly did well before Minnesota and I'm sure he'll do fine somewhere else. It's all fine and dandy to keep firing coaches, but the problems at the U are much deeper. If you think someone is gonna ride in here like a knight in shining armor and bring in B1G championships one year after another, you guys are gonna be sorely disappointed. There are some structural deficiencies at the athletics department and administration at Minnesota that won't be corrected with a new coach.

Nobody thinks that. A slight puff of excitement and intensity from the head coach would be a start.

Hopefully Pam Borton next year since you asked.

One factor that isn't talked about enough is how tough it is to coach in the Big Ten, not just at Minnesota. Alford did fine before and after but struggled to get over the hump at Iowa, for example. Amaker is another for-instance. It's a tough gig; it's a meat grinder.

When I first opened this thread, I thought that Monson had been fired at LBSU.

Monson seems to be doing well at LBSU.

I'm sure he'll do fine somewhere else

Would be shocked if Tubby coached a big time program anywhere again. No energy left for that.

Monson is fine at a mid-major/bottom tier conference. Recruting, marketing, fund raising at a BCS conference school not as much.

Obviously the program is part of the problem, but it's not like we are fickle with our coaching changes. We've had two coaches since 1999. Neither Tubby nor Monson had a quick trigger.

You and I and a few others know what Tubby could have done here is all was right. As you said, Tubby will be fine and MN will hire FS and then fire him and then the AD will be fired and then another coach and then another coach and then another AD. Meanwhile, MSU, OSU, and Wisky keep winning and people on this board will keep crying.

All the best to Tubby.

You and I and a few others know what Tubby could have done here is all was right. As you said, Tubby will be fine and MN will hire FS and then fire him and then the AD will be fired and then another coach and then another coach and then another AD. Meanwhile, MSU, OSU, and Wisky keep winning and people on this board will keep crying.

All the best to Tubby.

Thanks Mrs. Smith. I always enjoyed seeing you at Williams Arena. Have fun with the 2.5 million in Barbados.

Obviously the program is part of the problem, but it's not like we are fickle with our coaching changes. We've had two coaches since 1999. Neither Tubby nor Monson had a quick trigger.

No, but we have been naive enough as a fanbase to believe the primary problem, and thus solution, has been coaching. We have proven over and over that it is something more than that. Anyone with options would be foolish to not get some legitimate promise that the infrastructure issues will be addressed.

All the best to Tubby.

+1000

You are naïve to think that Tubby is the answer. His recruiting, team improvement during the season (and out of bounds plays!) are sufficient reasons. We can win here or at least go over 500 in the conference once in awhile! Good for Teague wanting to raise the bar!!!

No, but we have been naive enough as a fanbase to believe the primary problem, and thus solution, has been coaching. We have proven over and over that it is something more than that. Anyone with options would be foolish to not get some legitimate promise that the infrastructure issues will be addressed.

Absolutely the infrastructure needs to be addressed but that doesn't give the coaches the excuse of constant mediocrity. We have changes that are necessary in our Athletic Department but there are schools with less who have done quite a bit more. Despite the lack of ideal infrastructure, Tubby's teams have underperformed, they've been a headache (Trevor, Royce, players transferring, etc), and they looked ill prepared on several key situations.

I get your point, but we also have a problem with the head coach.

All the best to Tubby.

Every Gopher coach since the 1940s who has been here more than two years has finished among the top three in the Big Ten at least twice. Until Monson. Then Tubby.

It's not all Monson and Tubby's fault. We have a facilities problem, for sure. And if Monson had gotten over the hump in his first few years -- maybe one more conference win and he gets into the tournament with Rickert and Holman -- maybe things turn out differently for him. But he got seven years. And Tubby probably lasted longer than someone not named Tubby Smith would've lasted.

You are naïve to think that Tubby is the answer. His recruiting, team improvement during the season (and out of bounds plays!) are sufficient reasons. We can win here or at least go over 500 in the conference once in awhile! Good for Teague wanting to raise the bar!!!

Even people in Nebraska knew how to raise the bar. You build your facilities 1st and then will bring fresh faces. We'll see how many of these players will leave and how FS will be able to bring big-name players here to MN. Next in line is Teague himself.

We'll see.

And their wives really appreciate that.

Even people in Nebraska knew how to raise the bar. You build your facilities 1st and then will bring fresh faces. We'll see how many of these players will leave and how FS will be able to bring big-name players here to MN. Next in line is Teague himself.

We'll see.

Why does it have to go practice facility and then new coach?

I realize Nebraska did it that way, but tOSU did not, several other programs did not.

Top Bottom