Money Money Money Big Ten Money - "Staggering" News

Peacock?

No, the Big Ten doesn't necessary want their games on Peacock, where many fans could not find them. But would NBC be willing to pay enough to have a weekly game there to promote the service? The recent Gopher-Notre Dame hockey series was on Peacock, so it wouldn't be totally new to NBC.

I know Fox and ESPN are involved, so I'm just spitballing here. But you ask where they would put the games. If you're NBC and want to get into college football, three games on NBC (two Big Ten games and the Irish) and a game each Saturday on Peacock would be a great way to start.

If NBC got Big Ten product, they would almost certainly use USA Network as a channel to clear games. NBC owns USA Network (which hits 95 million homes). NBC already plans to put NASCAR and USFL games on USA Network. I could see them adding some premiere Big Ten games to USA Network should they get the contract.

The current ESPN/ABC packages gets - on average - maybe 2 football games per week and 4-6 MBB basketball games per week? I would guess among NBC, USA Network, and Peacock, they would be able to handle the inventory. Probably looking at one game football each week on regular NBC, and a secondary football game on USA Network. Then a handful of weeknight MBB games on USA Network or Peacock, with a game or two on NBC on the weekends.

If they got in a real pickle, I could see them putting weekend games on CNBC (which also hits about 95 million homes).

If I'm the Big Ten, I would hold off on allowing too many games on Peacock this time around. By next negotiating period, we may be watching all of our shows on apps anyway.

Last edited:

Does NBC have enough ways for us to watch all of the games? I am not familiar with all of the television broadcast technology that might be needed; like ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc.

Fox traded Joe Buck to ESPN for a Big Ten football game.

Really odd.
Fox gets out of a bad contract, gets to broadcast Notre Dame Ohio state instead of Penn State Purdue week 1 (is my guess on the swap)

ESPN loses an Ohio state Notre Dame game, gains a Penn State Purdue gain and gets to pay Joe Buck 12-15 million per year to watch an okay football game. If espn wanted better MNF ratings rather than spending money on Buck they should’ve spent money on getting a higher priority game.

Really odd.
Fox gets out of a bad contract, gets to broadcast Notre Dame Ohio state instead of Penn State Purdue week 1 (is my guess on the swap)

ESPN loses an Ohio state Notre Dame game, gains a Penn State Purdue gain and gets to pay Joe Buck 12-15 million per year to watch an okay football game. If espn wanted better MNF ratings rather than spending money on Buck they should’ve spent money on getting a higher priority game.
I am just happy for anything that means less Joe Buck in the games I watch. I don't mind Aikman but Buck is unlistenable.

Top Bottom