MNF @ TCF

OmahaGopher

Reaction score
Whatever anyone else wants to say this is a great get for Gopher Football.

Think about everything that is currently significantly wrong with TCF (which is a fairly small list):
  • Aramark sucks as the lead vendor -- There's no reason that The U has stuck by these guys with calculator vending for two full seasons. The NFL or their fans will highlight the problems with vending that are apparent in the stadium. This should become addressed soon after this game and I expect that the calculator vending system will be a thing of the past by kickoff of the New Mexico State game next year.
  • Awesome recruiting tool -- Think about how much the campus will be highlighted at this point during the recruiting process. How many other college-only stadiums have been host to regular season NFL games in the past few seasons? Illinois, Washington??? Say what you want, but it sure can't hurt to have MNF there next week.
  • In-stadium alcohol issue -- I'm not going to truly go there, but I think it will help The U make a better case for the alcohol issue. Having the NFL intervene and *probably* allowing alcohol will allow The Bank to be used for more concerts and other events going forward that alcohol would normally be allow alcohol consumption. This game will truly test the alcohol tolerance of the Board of Regents.
  • Even more widespread public support for outdoor football -- Whether it be Gophers or Vikings. This game will show recruits and fans that the place can get packed during cold weather games, if there is "an event" to attend. The problem is that we have not been able to market this new venue properly during its first few years. Getting this game there, during cold weather, will show that people in Minneapolis are willing to brave the cold weather to go to "an event" if the production value is worth of their time/money.
  • Excitement for Outdoor Football -- This game means essentially nothing to the Vikings, but does give The Bank a ton of TV exposure over the next week both in Minnesota and outside of the state. Don't forget what that does for The U and helping to gain the notoriety of the stadium.
  • Checkpoints/Admission-- Will the entrance points be as congested as other games in the past? I would think the NFL will get people through the turnstiles much faster than previous 'big games' that have been at The Bank.

So what do the Vikes get for playing this game at TCF?
  • Home Game (still) -- Other notable options would have been playing at Indy, St. Louis or Chicago... All would've dismissed home field. The other option would've been for the MSFC to say The Dome would be ready in time. This would have made this into a rush job, which wasn't as big of a deal with a new stadium in the 1980s, but since we are living in a litigious society this would not have given the Vikes proper assurances that The Dome would be 100% fixed and ready in time.
  • Acclimate Minnesotans to Their Roots -- This has been reported to be a "throwback" uniform game, so why not play outdoors. The season is in the latrine for the Vikes, so why not play a Purple People Eater's-type cold-weather game. This is a great way to shift public opinion about building a stadium for their team... One last shot prior to getting rejected by public support to help pay for the stadium.
  • Meaningless MNF Game in MSP Becomes Very Watchable -- This would've been a switch the channel game, but playing it outdoors like this makes this similar to how the Illinois/Northwestern game was this year. Unique venue = Watchable. Again, a huge gain for the UofM!
Other's thoughts??

In response to the first bullet point:

There were cash registers at the Bank this year.

[*]Meaningless MNF Game in MSP Becomes Very Watchable -- This would've been a switch the channel game, but playing it outdoors like this makes this similar to how the Illinois/Northwestern game was this year. Unique venue = Watchable. Again, a huge gain for the UofM!
[/LIST]
Other's thoughts??
According to the Gopher Hole Brain Trust (GHBT), the Wrigley game was one of the worst ideas in the history of college football. It was nearly universally panned by GH's resident football fans slash quantum physicists despite nonstop coverage on ESPNU and massive exposure for NU & IL in a novel one-off game in the heart of the 3rd largest media market in the U.S. Therefore, this arrangement at TCF could not possibly fly, and you, sir, are a child molester. :mad:

[*]Awesome recruiting tool -- Think about how much the campus will be highlighted at this point during the recruiting process. How many other college-only stadiums have been host to regular season NFL games in the past few seasons? Illinois, Washington??? Say what you want, but it sure can't hurt to have MNF there next week.

Absolutely. MNF is a grand stage.

[*]Even more widespread public support for outdoor football -- Whether it be Gophers or Vikings. This game will show recruits and fans that the place can get packed during cold weather games, if there is "an event" to attend. The problem is that we have not been able to market this new venue properly during its first few years. Getting this game there, during cold weather, will show that people in Minneapolis are willing to brave the cold weather to go to "an event" if the production value is worth of their time/money.

I would love for this game to be a huge success and get people considering the possibility of a cheaper, open-air stadium for the Vikings.

According to the Gopher Hole Brain Trust (GHBT), the Wrigley game was one of the worst ideas in the history of college football. It was nearly universally panned by GH's resident football fans slash quantum physicists despite nonstop coverage on ESPNU and massive exposure for NU & IL in a novel one-off game in the heart of the 3rd largest media market in the U.S. Therefore, this arrangement at TCF could not possibly fly, and you, sir, are a child molester. :mad:

Wait a minute. The consensus was that it was a horrible idea to play the game the way the field was configured due to the obvious lack of space in the one endzone and the danger it presented. AND THE SCHOOLS AGREED. THEY CHANGED IT.

Few posts ever said the premise of the game was poor, IIRC. The majority were baffled why they would play the game the way the field had to be set up, and as a result, they were right.

Hopefully playing on MNF at TCF will make the public realize that the U has a beautiful facility, one that is electric during a night game, and most importantly that we should not tolerate having a dime of taxpayer money go to a new stadium for a Vikings owner that will likely stand to profit hundreds of millions of dollars if successful. And if they can't find a way to get it done on their own, they can move to L.A.

All your dreams would then have come true! Right, Josh?

It's hardly something important enough for my subconscious to ever dream about. However, I am all for anything happening, however big or small the effect, that helps the Gophers become a stronger program.

However, I am all for anything happening, however big or small the effect, that helps the Gophers become a stronger program.

Really? I will just ignore the endless argument about the Vikings. It's been rehashed too often, and is not worth diving into.

But I wonder if you really can stand by your quoted statement....

What if you knew the Gopher program would be stronger if Iowa and wisconsin both had to fold their football programs for some reason? Would you be for that?

Let's say the Gopher program would become stronger if we decided to join what is now the Big12. Would you be for that?

Let's say the Gopher program would become stronger if they doubled all ticket, concessions, and parking prices for next year? Would you be for that?

Let's say the Gopher program would become stronger if Vagisil buys the rights to the stadium name? Would you be for that?

Great points, Omaha. I can't think of a negative for the U for having this game on campus.

Really? I will just ignore the endless argument about the Vikings. It's been rehashed too often, and is not worth diving into.

But I wonder if you really can stand by your quoted statement....

What if you knew the Gopher program would be stronger if Iowa and wisconsin both had to fold their football programs for some reason? Would you be for that?

Let's say the Gopher program would become stronger if we decided to join what is now the Big12. Would you be for that?

Let's say the Gopher program would become stronger if they doubled all ticket, concessions, and parking prices for next year? Would you be for that?

Let's say the Gopher program would become stronger if Vagisil buys the rights to the stadium name? Would you be for that?

Even though this exercise you are proposing is beyond stupid - I'll bite.

My answers to your hypothetical questions are:

1) Yes!
2) Yes
3) Essentially you are asking if I would be willing to pay double to attend games. Yes.
4) Yes - not sure why this is a "test" - it's just the name of the stadium for Pete's sake. It's not like you're asking me to use the product.

Obviously, every sane person has a line they would draw - so I suppose if the hypothetical was "your wife would lose a year (or a second) of her life to make the Gophers better" the answer would be no.

But did you really need me to clarify to know that I have a line I would draw? Common sense dictates that no qualifier is needed on my statement, since it is understood that my statement was made in the rhelm of the sports world only. My guess is that since you seem to be somewhat intelligent the answer would have to be no, you knew there was a line I would draw, which is why you sarcastically asked for clarifiers in the first place. Because of this, I can only surmise that you must be frustrated that someone has a desire to see a team that you love leave. I would rather people just come out and say "I love the Vikings -screw them going to L.A. I hate your opinion Josh" than to try to nitpick a statement.

Yes, 3 & 1/2 hours of talking about how small the stadium is, the cold, and how it snows so much in Minneapolis, buildings collapse, should have 1/2 of the population of Florida yearning to relocate here before New Year's.

Even though this exercise you are proposing is beyond stupid - I'll bite.

My answers to your hypothetical questions are:

1) Yes!
2) Yes
3) Essentially you are asking if I would be willing to pay double to attend games. Yes.
4) Yes - not sure why this is a "test" - it's just the name of the stadium for Pete's sake. It's not like you're asking me to use the product.

Obviously, every sane person has a line they would draw - so I suppose if the hypothetical was "your wife would lose a year (or a second) of her life to make the Gophers better" the answer would be no.

But did you really need me to clarify to know that I have a line I would draw? Common sense dictates that no qualifier is needed on my statement, since it is understood that my statement was made in the rhelm of the sports world only. My guess is that since you seem to be somewhat intelligent the answer would have to be no, you knew there was a line I would draw, which is why you sarcastically asked for clarifiers in the first place. Because of this, I can only surmise that you must be frustrated that someone has a desire to see a team that you love leave. I would rather people just come out and say "I love the Vikings -screw them going to L.A. I hate your opinion Josh" than to try to nitpick a statement.

Josh, I really don't hate your opinion, so I won't go so far as to say that. It's just that after all this time I've been on the GH, the "Vikings debate" has come up a half-zillion times -- and you always feel the need to speak up and let everyone know how badly the Vikings need to leave because they are one of the things stopping the Gopher football team from incalculable amounts of success. Obviously, I disagree... but that's not the point. For you, after all the posts and threads on this topic, this seems like a genuine agenda. Agendas are fine, but after all you've said, it seems more like spite than anything.

I bet you would rather people just say "I love the Vikes, so F you!" because that is the shallowest of arguments and one that would seem to suggest that the only reason Gopher fans want the Vikes around is for their own selfish love of them -- not any valid rational argument. You are in the same category, I believe, but on the opposite end of the spectrum. Your incessant devotion to this issue comes off to a lot of us as saying "I hate the Vikes, F you!" Now I know that you will deny this: "But I don't hate the Vikes, I just really love the Gophers, blah, blah, blah." But many on this board have been sick of this argument for a long time because the anti-Vikings side's champion is you, who despite your best efforts, seem to have started from a place of "common sense and reality" but have, at some point crossed the line into being motivated by spite for the Vikings.

I did keep my hypotheticals within the realm of sports and possibility, which is why I purposely didn't ask if you would risk a nuclear WWIII if it meant the Gophers would be stronger, for example. Obviously everyone has a line, and to be honest I'm surprised where yours is. While your one-pointed devotion to the Gophers is quite admirable, it crosses into unreasonable.

It is just as reasonable to think that Iowa and wisconsin dropping football could be more beneficial to the Gophers than the Vikings leaving. Let's say someone on this board took that stance, okay? Now imagine that every time wisconsin or Iowa was brought up, this poster would advocate for the dismantling of those programs, for the U's sake. Ridiculous, right? They would come off as bitter, and motivated by spite, right?

I think so.

In response to the first bullet point:

There were cash registers at the Bank this year.

My apologies on this... I haven't been to a game since the USD battle and I could've sworn there were still calculators at that game. Maybe the registers were installed after that game??? Nonetheless, I remember the lines for concessions being a long wait during that game.

I always chuckle at the fans who want so badly for alcohol to be served at the stadium.
They get all worked up to pay $8 for a tap beer.

My conditions/thoughts for the game.

1. No Viking Paint on field. @Detroit was OK and banners are fine.

2. Bud Grant should be honorary captain for coin toss.

3. U or M will have all expenses covered but they should also make some money on this.

4. TCF and other corporate sponsors at stadium should pay the U extra for the additional exposure of espn and MNF.

5. We need a PR person(maybe Dave Mona) in booth explaining to southern bone heads that it is not 20 below in MN year around. Espn to focus on the highlights of stadium and Gopher Football of the glory years. I don't really want to see numerous shots of a termometer in a snow drift.

6. If too cold for Gopher band play The Rouser at least twice on pa and scoreboard and Sweet Caroline.

7. Wear lots of Gold.

8. There will be a total lunar eclipse juat after midnight, too bad it can't be during game time.

Any others.

Edit: My #5 point was in regard to potential Gopher recruits

Yes, 3 & 1/2 hours of talking about the cold, how small the stadium is, the cold, and how it snows so much in Minneapolis, the cold, buildings and bridges collapsing, the cold should have 1/2 of the population of Florida yearning to relocate here before New Year's.

Fixed.

Absolutely. MNF is a grand stage.

I would love for this game to be a huge success and get people considering the possibility of a cheaper, open-air stadium for the Vikings.

The Vikes have said they don't need a roof. MN in general needs the roof.

It is just as reasonable to think that Iowa and wisconsin dropping football could be more beneficial to the Gophers than the Vikings leaving. Let's say someone on this board took that stance, okay? Now imagine that every time wisconsin or Iowa was brought up, this poster would advocate for the dismantling of those programs, for the U's sake. Ridiculous, right? They would come off as bitter, and motivated by spite, right?

I think so.

All of your hypotheticals said "if it made the Gophers stronger." If there was a guarantee that the Gophers would be a big time program, I absolutely would call for the dismantling of wisconsin. Nobody does because there is no guarantee, so we can atleast enjoy the rivalry. There's no guarantee that the Vikings leaving would make the Gophers stronger either, but there's a pretty good chance it would and they provide no benefit to us, so why not hope they go to LA?

All of your hypotheticals said "if it made the Gophers stronger." If there was a guarantee that the Gophers would be a big time program, I absolutely would call for the dismantling of wisconsin. Nobody does because there is no guarantee, so we can atleast enjoy the rivalry. There's no guarantee that the Vikings leaving would make the Gophers stronger either, but there's a pretty good chance it would and they provide no benefit to us, so why not hope they go to LA?[/QUOTE]

I know numerous U of M alums, and others, that are both Gopher and Viking fans(and season ticket holders of both) that hope the Vikes don't move.

Lets hope the heavy equipment and haste to get this done does not ruin the field. Lets also hope the people who go to the game respect the facility. Kinda feels like strangers in your house while your gone.

Lets hope the heavy equipment and haste to get this done does not ruin the field. Lets also hope the people who go to the game respect the facility. Kinda feels like strangers in your house while your gone.

It is my guess that this is one of the few college fan bases in the country that would actually want an NFL team and their drunk fans to play in their on-campus stadium. This is just more evidence that the Vikings own this town.

It is my guess that this is one of the few college fan bases in the country that would actually want an NFL team and their drunk fans to play in their on-campus stadium. This is just more evidence that the Vikings own this town.

Most fan bases would eagerly welcome the free publicity.

Hopefully playing on MNF at TCF will make the public realize that the U has a beautiful facility, one that is electric during a night game, and most importantly that we should not tolerate having a dime of taxpayer money go to a new stadium for a Vikings owner that will likely stand to profit hundreds of millions of dollars if successful. And if they can't find a way to get it done on their own, they can move to L.A.

+1

God I hope they don't end up getting the dome ready by monday night. This would be great for the U and for football recruiting. All of the kids watching MNF would see our great stadium and this would be a great sell to recruits to see it on TV. First I have heard of temp bleachers being brought in. The place will be super loud with that many people in it. I still don't think the vikings should be playing outdoors with Minnesota's winters but I would get behind doing it once a year or something as long as they do it early in the year. I can't see the vikings doing this for anything other than a pre-season game though since they would most likely want to showcase their own stadium and make more money as well. Maybe if we get a MNF pre-season game they can do it at TCF again. You should be able to get more people to an outdoors pre-season game than at the dome.

I know numerous U of M alums, and others, that are both Gopher and Viking fans(and season ticket holders of both) that hope the Vikes don't move.

Good for them, I wish more Viking fans were like that. Most of them are not.

All this has made it much more likely that the Vikings get a new stadium of their own. One of the chief objections to a new Vikings stadium is "you already have a perfectly good stadium!" But now there are very few people who could consider the Metrodome perfectly good. If they could have fixed it in time, then people would have thought better of the dome. Playing at TCF just highlights the problem with the dome.

Good for them, I wish more Viking fans were like that. Most of them are not.

They were ALL Gopher fans when Mason went 10-3, when Brewster was 7-1, for three quarters of the Friday night Michigan game...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Yes, 3 & 1/2 hours of talking about how small the stadium is, the cold, and how it snows so much in Minneapolis, buildings collapse, should have 1/2 of the population of Florida yearning to relocate here before New Year's.

As opposed to the tropical paradise that is Iowa *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty, eh Skywalker? The only difference between the two on Monday will be that MNF will be here, and only rednecks and drug dealers will be there. Temps will be the same.

I would rather people just come out and say "I love the Vikings -screw them going to L.A. I hate your opinion Josh" than to try to nitpick a statement.

So if the 'return' on the Vikings moving is that it has no effect for 20 years and then we start to get a few recruits who grew up when the Gophers were 'more beloved' due to no NFL team and we eventually win 2-3 more games would that be an adequate return for you? Would you ship the Vikings to LA, upsetting a significant % of Minnesotans and damaging the state's ecomony all for the return of winning 2-3 more football games 20 years from now? Because that's probably all it will translate to in the W/L column.

Top Bottom