MN vs “B1G powers that be” game thread…

What extensive training? Training includes computer tests and watching film. Outside of games, where is the on the field targeting practice? These officials have day jobs during the week. If anyone should be suspended or questioned, it's the Replay officials.

Interesting that the Big Ten crew working the Louisville/Ole Miss game, missed 4 targeting calls and the replay official made them all targeting.
My son just did all the work to become a youth soccer ref - it was like 10 hours of training.
I hope to be a Big Ten ref you need more training than that.
How many hours of training does a Big Ten crew have to do? How many each year to stay current?
If they're not getting trained, then I think we know why there is a problem.

Interesting that the Big Ten crew working the Louisville/Ole Miss game, missed 4 targeting calls and the replay official made them all targeting.
What do you account for the difference?

T
My son just did all the work to become a youth soccer ref - it was like 10 hours of training.
I hope to be a Big Ten ref you need more training than that.
How many hours of training does a Big Ten crew have to do? How many each year to stay current?
If they're not getting trained, then I think we know why there is a problem.
They train, but not enough on field opportunities IMO. Their training is the years of experience built on top of each other. With COVID they officiated about 5-7 games since the 2019-20 season. Again this is why replay was created to fix plays. Replay is where the problem is.

Not meaning to be a troll but come on. Sad for the injury to Mo. I hope recovers fully. It is time to move on. Minnesota’s best chance to beat the Bucks. A lot of things in the Gophers favor other than 2 bad calls. First time qb, 8 new defensive starters, rain, hostile crowd. This was the big chance. The good news is that Gophers showed out. They should be in the hunt for the West title which is great. It will be tough without Mo but they looked a hell of a lot better than the Badgers. See you in Indianapolis

T

They train, but not enough on field opportunities IMO. Their training is the years of experience built on top of each other. With COVID they officiated about 5-7 games since the 2019-20 season. Again this is why replay was created to fix plays. Replay is where the problem is.

C’mon, man. I agree officials have a very, very tough job and aren’t well compensated for their time and effort but generally on obvious penalties, for example pass interference, laundry flies in from every point of the compass. In the targeting play does it seem odd every official from the field to the booth missed a bone crushing head to head hit simultaneous with a catch that resulted in momentary loss of consciousness and a fumbled ball? It strains credulity. This crew is either full of Helen Keller’s, completely incompetent, or compromised in some way. The commissioner was at the game! One would think they would be enforcing player safety rules, right?

Separately, I’d like to see a better compensated officiating corps in FBS football or at least Power 5.

I will re-watch as well. Wish the stadium crew would be better at showing replays but they aren't.

I completely stopped watching the NBA about 15 years ago because the officiating was such a joke and it was obvious the league is largely a scripted event. If the NCAA/B1G insists on going the same route they'll probably experience a similar decline in overall interest.
Agree 100% on the NBA and I quit even earlier than you did.

C’mon, man. I agree officials have a very, very tough job and aren’t well compensated for their time and effort but generally on obvious penalties, for example pass interference, laundry flies in from every point of the compass. In the targeting play does it seem odd every official from the field to the booth missed a bone crushing head to head hit simultaneous with a catch that resulted in momentary loss of consciousness and a fumbled ball? It strains credulity. This crew is either full of Helen Keller’s, completely incompetent, or compromised in some way. The commissioner was at the game! One would think they would be enforcing player safety rules, right?

Separately, I’d like to see a better compensated officiating corps in FBS football or at least Power 5.
I think I read Big Ten refs make $3000 a game. Enough?

I think I read Big Ten refs make $3000 a game. Enough?

Sure, seems like it to most people. NFL is at least 4x that IIRC.

College football is awash with wasteful spending. IMO the leagues could afford to trickle down a bit more to the guardians of fair play considering travel and time requirements, expertise/training/skill, and threat of crazed fans stalking or worse, other temptations.. Do leagues care? I suppose that’s the question here this week,

honestly i don't get why the B10 doesn't go back and review all targeting calls that were called and picked up and review them internally then release the results. they have bigger screens, better tech, etc.

you can then uphold/enact suspensions after the fact and serves as quality control similar to how the NHL reviews all of their hits. The suspension fiasco that the NHL runs into after they decide is much easier in FB where it's you're out for the next half rather than out for X number of games. It would suck for the team that didn't get the call on the field, but ultimately would hit on the player safety idea rather than giving them a split second in real time followed by 20-30 seconds for the replay official and a 1-5 minute review on smaller screens to make a bigger decision.

Top Bottom