MN native Jermaine Johnson transferring

Per his dad: “He wants to be able to use his talents,” his father said. “Jermaine is a Dawg. He would have loved nothing more than to leave as a Dawg going to the league, but you can’t get to the league without film and the constant rotation for no reason, that’s not going to do it.”

Yeah I'd be a little nervous about that 'no reason'.

Don't need parents complaining publicly about who you play when and so forth.....

Doesn't mean you don't pick him up, maybe you can play him a lot and it never comes up again, but I'd be a little concerned.

Per his dad: “He wants to be able to use his talents,” his father said. “Jermaine is a Dawg. He would have loved nothing more than to leave as a Dawg going to the league, but you can’t get to the league without film and the constant rotation for no reason, that’s not going to do it.”
I guess I understand what he is saying and if that's how the kid feels then that's cool. However, most of the time I am slightly irritated when parents have to weigh in on stuff like this...and with recruiting. I know they want what's best for their kids but sometimes I wish they would stay out of it.
I dunno...my dad's only involvement was before I moved out and headed off to vo-tech - "Good luck," he said, "and don't get caught drinking". That's pretty much all it was.

This is one of the issues with going to a team that picks up four and five star guys at every position....every year.

Pretty much exactly what you said in the first place.

This is one of the issues with going to a team that picks up four and five star guys at every position....every year.

Is that what usually happens though?

If I've got 4 and 5* guys left and right ... I feel like I still gotta pick some core guys ... otherwise i'm in a 2 QBs situation... granted it's not the same as QB but I still want to pick a guy to take the majority of plays to get that experience in....

I missed it, thanks for pointing it out.

I still disagree with what you said, that he's transferring because he doesn't want to be a team player. It's not binary, there is a spectrum. It's possible that less rotation would make more sense for their team than rotating just to rotate. I doubt anyone thinks the same 3 or 4 guys should play on the DL for 100% of the snaps.

Right. If they're trying to roll 15 guys into getting some amount of meaningful game reps on the DL, just so they can "keep a promise made during recruiting", or who knows what. I'm making that up, but that would be an example of "excessive rotating". I haven't watched a snap of Georgia, so I don't know what the actual situation was and how it compares to our DL rotation.

Top Bottom