MN native Jermaine Johnson transferring

Jeremiah Johnson!
xLTDVt9.gif

Local angle would be interesting but unlikely we would bring in two one year guys at the same position.

So he would have two years left potentially? This year doesn't count and he was never red-shirted. Is that correct?

I thought he was more of a DE, not sure he fits our system great if he’s a tweener.

Local angle would be interesting but unlikely we would bring in two one year guys at the same position.
Who is the other guy? Gibbens is an LB and Johnson is a DE who would likely start opposite Mafe.

The guy from Texas is MLB, this guy would probably be a "rush end" for us. Not at all the same position, in fact the latter has a separate coach entirely.

So he would have two years left potentially? This year doesn't count and he was never red-shirted. Is that correct?
That would only work if he redshirted 2021 and played 2022. He can't play both years. This was his last season (out of four) in 2020, but now he'll get a 5th season because of covid. First two were JUCO in Kansas.

Whoa, sounds like he's transferring because UGA rotates DL too much. I don't know the kid, but his dad doesn't sound like a RTB kind of guy. He does fit the mold though being a really similar size to Coughlin and Mafe.
Bolded: all the article said is that he wants more PT.

I think he'd be the same position as Mafe and Thomas Rush. Called "rush end" in our scheme.
Johnson and Mafe would both start at each DE spot if he comes here. People on here get to hung up on the whole strong side/weak side DE thing. I don’t even think our DE’s switch sides of the field depending on the strong side or weak side of the field. But even if it does matter, Mafe would just switch to SDE with Johnson at WDE.

Johnson and Mafe would both start at each DE spot if he comes here. People on here get to hung up on the whole strong side/weak side DE thing. I don’t even think our DE’s switch sides of the field depending on the strong side or weak side of the field. But even if it does matter, Mafe would just switch to SDE with Johnson at WDE.
We have two completely different types of players at the ends of our 40 front. We have a bigger, more traditional 40 front DE in a 3 point stance. That's the position you see Otomewo starting at. The other one is smaller and in a 2 point stance, and to make looks and plays more like a 3-4 OLB that lines up on the line of scrimmage. Those guys in the NFL are deadly pass rushers, think like Von Miller.

Off the top of my head, I don't know if they switch sides depending on the offensive formation and/or boundary/field.

We have two completely different types of players at the ends of our 40 front. We have a bigger, more traditional 40 front DE in a 3 point stance. That's the position you see Otomewo starting at. The other one is smaller and in a 2 point stance, and to make looks and plays more like a 3-4 OLB that lines up on the line of scrimmage. Those guys in the NFL are deadly pass rushers, think like Von Miller.

Off the top of my head, I don't know if they switch sides depending on the offensive formation and/or boundary/field.
Yes I’m well aware.

Yes I’m well aware.
Then why are you proposing both would start? That's not likely. Mafe very much fits the roll of the "rush end". I believe he has a large percentage of our sacks this year, from that position.

I think Johnson would be the same position, possibly beating out T. Rush as the backup to Mafe.

100% agree. You'll see many teams have their DEs switch between strong and weak side during games as a part of different rush packages. Mafe and JJ are athletes, they would have no problem on either end.

Johnson plays OLB, I believe, at Georgia. Why wouldn’t he be an OLB if he came here?

Then why are you proposing both would start? That's not likely. Mafe very much fits the roll of the "rush end". I believe he has a large percentage of our sacks this year, from that position.

I think Johnson would be the same position, possibly beating out T. Rush as the backup to Mafe.

A few things.

1. Mafe is plenty big and strong enough to be start at SDE. In fact aside from Esezi, Mafe is the biggest starting DE the gophers have had in the last 10+ years. He's bigger and probably stronger than Delatiboudere who was a 4 year starter at SDE, Cochran, Ekpe and Wilhite. No reason why he couldn't slide over to SDE while Jermaine plays WDE.

2. What you said assumes that what we have done the past few years is due to the scheme we run and not the players we have. I'd argue a big reason that we have a "rush DE" spot is because we had Coughlin at DE for 4 years and we started having our DE stand up because it suits his skill set better. And some of our DE's are or have been undersized like Rush and Devers. If our two best DE's were both in the 270 range, I'm sure Rossi would start them together and have both in a 3 point stance. Same thing if they were both undersized. I'm sure Rossi would have zero problem starting both of them and frankly I'd be very surprised if they both didn't start if JJ comes here. Both of those guys will play in the NFL.

3. Since we don't switch which side of the field they play on depending on what is the strong side (not 100% sure but pretty sure), half the time our WDE or rush DE would be lined up on the strong side with our SDE on the weak side of the field. So why would it matter if we have two prototypical SDE or WDE's on the field at the same time if half the time they will be lined up on the side of the field which isn't their strength?

Like I said, I think people on here are a little get two hung up on the whole SDE/WDE thing, and are a little too conventional of thinkers and we try to fit out players in a box too much meaning we think a player has to fit a certain profile in order to play. It's the same thing in basketball, we think guys have to be a SG, a SF or a PF when in reality, plenty of teams play 3 guys in the 6-5 or 6-6 range and there isn't much of a difference between positions 2-4. Or strong safety and free safety, field corner and boundary corner, Z and X receivers OT and OG etc. Most of the time, the coaches are just going to play the two best guys even if they are both prototypical boundary corners or both prototypical strong safeties etc.

Johnson plays OLB, I believe, at Georgia. Why wouldn’t he be an OLB if he came here?
UGA runs a 3-4 while we run a 4-3. I've always considered a 3-4 front to be more like a 5-2 because almost all the time the OLB's are lined up on the edge of the line of scrimmage just like a DE and the DE is lined up on the inside of the tackle like a DT. So it's more like having 3 DT's and 2 DE's, not one DT, 2 DE's and 2 OLB's.

Jermaine has been an edge rusher his whole life, or at least since HS and has never been a down LB. So while on the UGA roster he is listed as an OLB, he is really more of a DE that plays on the line of scrimmage and rushes the passer. Just like how we had Carter Coughlin listed as an LB, he never actually played like an LB and was always a DE for us, or at least had all the responsibilities of a DE and none of a LB.

Well like you most of you guys, I'll defer to Fleck. He knows who is coming back and who isn't. Kid must realize though that coach is going to put the best guys on the field. He and his dad have to understand that if for some reason he would come here, he is going to have to earn his playing time and be respectful of anyone rotating in and out for various reasons. I'm not 100% sold, but then I don't know the kid, his father, and how good he real is. Didn't like Kill obviously so didn't commit here.

Well like you most of you guys, I'll defer to Fleck. He knows who is coming back and who isn't. Kid must realize though that coach is going to put the best guys on the field. He and his dad have to understand that if for some reason he would come here, he is going to have to earn his playing time and be respectful of anyone rotating in and out for various reasons. I'm not 100% sold, but then I don't know the kid, his father, and how good he real is. Didn't like Kill obviously so didn't commit here.
Kill, or any other D1 school in the country, never offered him, presumably due to academics so he went to Juco.

PJ offered him after he went to juco and he visited here but opted for a blue blood in UGA.

Most UGA fans thought he would declare for the draft instead of transferring to a different school or coming back to UGA so I'd say it's safe to say he is pretty good. UGA has the most talented roster in the entire country according to 247's average player rankings, so the fact that he still managed to play 50% of the snaps tells me is he pretty good as well.

I think just one. Just to put it in a little perspective, Georgia is incredibly stacked at OLB/DE position and Jermaine Johnson is an NFL prospect. It's kind of like a backup QB leaving. I don't think it's being afraid of the competition as much as it is a business decision.

As others have said on here, he is a LBer and he would be one of our better players on defense next season.

Kill, or any other D1 school in the country, never offered him, presumably due to academics so he went to Juco.

PJ offered him after he went to juco and he visited here but opted for a blue blood in UGA.

Most UGA fans thought he would declare for the draft instead of transferring to a different school or coming back to UGA so I'd say it's safe to say he is pretty good. UGA has the most talented roster in the entire country according to 247's average player rankings, so the fact that he still managed to play 50% of the snaps tells me is he pretty good as well.
You're way ahead of me on this one and I had inaccurate information on him that isn't proper in my opinion.

A few things.

1. Mafe is plenty big and strong enough to be start at SDE. In fact aside from Esezi, Mafe is the biggest starting DE the gophers have had in the last 10+ years. He's bigger and probably stronger than Delatiboudere who was a 4 year starter at SDE, Cochran, Ekpe and Wilhite. No reason why he couldn't slide over to SDE while Jermaine plays WDE.

2. What you said assumes that what we have done the past few years is due to the scheme we run and not the players we have. I'd argue a big reason that we have a "rush DE" spot is because we had Coughlin at DE for 4 years and we started having our DE stand up because it suits his skill set better. And some of our DE's are or have been undersized like Rush and Devers. If our two best DE's were both in the 270 range, I'm sure Rossi would start them together and have both in a 3 point stance. Same thing if they were both undersized. I'm sure Rossi would have zero problem starting both of them and frankly I'd be very surprised if they both didn't start if JJ comes here. Both of those guys will play in the NFL.

3. Since we don't switch which side of the field they play on depending on what is the strong side (not 100% sure but pretty sure), half the time our WDE or rush DE would be lined up on the strong side with our SDE on the weak side of the field. So why would it matter if we have two prototypical SDE or WDE's on the field at the same time if half the time they will be lined up on the side of the field which isn't their strength?

Like I said, I think people on here are a little get two hung up on the whole SDE/WDE thing, and are a little too conventional of thinkers and we try to fit out players in a box too much meaning we think a player has to fit a certain profile in order to play. It's the same thing in basketball, we think guys have to be a SG, a SF or a PF when in reality, plenty of teams play 3 guys in the 6-5 or 6-6 range and there isn't much of a difference between positions 2-4. Or strong safety and free safety, field corner and boundary corner, Z and X receivers OT and OG etc. Most of the time, the coaches are just going to play the two best guys even if they are both prototypical boundary corners or both prototypical strong safeties etc.
Thank you for the well thought out post/points!

Bolded: all the article said is that he wants more PT.
Per his dad: “He wants to be able to use his talents,” his father said. “Jermaine is a Dawg. He would have loved nothing more than to leave as a Dawg going to the league, but you can’t get to the league without film and the constant rotation for no reason, that’s not going to do it.”

Top Bottom