MN-IA football on Black Friday???

tjgopher

Reaction score
If this has already been posted, I apologize. But, this Iowa newspaper article indicates that the Gophers and Hawkeyes are discussing moving their annual game to the Friday after Thanksgiving. What do you think?

I think this would be fantastic. There aren't that many games on that day and the few that are, are intense rivalries just line Minnesota/Iowa. It would almost certainly get a national tv audience on ESPN at the very least.

Yeah, no one goes anyway, so it shouldn't hurt anyone's travel plans.

Although, regardless of where it was played, there would likely be few students attending because of the holiday.

Although, regardless of where it was played, there would likely be few students attending because of the holiday.

That might not be all bad for the schools, with a little creativity they might be able to sell some more tickets at a higher price and generate even more money for the local economy to boot.

This is a bad idea, a lot students would be home for thanksgiving. I can't even imagine the length of the threads on how much student suck after a Black Friday game at the bank. Making students chose between visiting their family and going to the only football rivalry of the year would not be a good move.

Next year would be a great year to start it. Already a bye week before the tilt. Even better, T-Giving Day.

Students can return tickets for a $10 gas voucher/coffee and then get resold for face. I'm sure there are plenty of sponsors to set it up.

This is a bad idea, a lot students would be home for thanksgiving. I can't even imagine the length of the threads on how much student suck after a Black Friday game at the bank. Making students chose between visiting their family and going to the only football rivalry of the year would not be a good move.

Do these other schools that play on black fridays, not have students who go home for thanksgiving? they seem to find ways to make it to the game. I think this is a brilliant idea

Do you think that those who wouldn't be there for a Friday game would be there for a Saturday game? I think most wouldn't.

Do you think that those who wouldn't be there for a Friday game would be there for a Saturday game? I think most wouldn't.

You don't think a greater number of students would come to a game on saturday than friday? Think about it, are you going to drive 6 hours home on wednesday, have thanksgiving with your family on thursday, and then drive back that night or the next morning? A game on saturday would at least allow you to be home for more than one day.

Plus a great excuse to get back to campus for a saturday night party.

Agreed. This year proved that not even a new stadium will mobilize our student section. Either win, or they don't show. I'm ready to press forward without the ones who thought the season ended after the Wisky game - hopefully the incoming freshman class steps it up.

If this has already been posted, I apologize. But, this Iowa newspaper article indicates that the Gophers and Hawkeyes are discussing moving their annual game to the Friday after Thanksgiving. What do you think?

would this mean that Reusse would have to then postpone his annual Turkey of the Year award to AFTER the game?

Minnesota should be playing Wisconsin on the last day of the season. Both schools consider the other their primary rival. They played each other on the last day of the season for more than 40 years. Iowa doesn't even have a hockey team while Minnesota and Wisconsin have combined for 11 championships in the last 35 years. Let Iowa play Iowa State that week.

Minnesota should be playing Wisconsin on the last day of the season. Both schools consider the other their primary rival. They played each other on the last day of the season for more than 40 years. Iowa doesn't even have a hockey team while Minnesota and Wisconsin have combined for 11 championships in the last 35 years. Let Iowa play Iowa State that week.

Who cares about hockey? That has nothing to do with the battle for Floyd.

Love the idea. It might take a few years to catch, but once it did I think it would be a great atmosphere, and positive exposure for both teams and a great rivalry.

Eh...I think your opinion's a bit colored by your dual-monikerness. The split between badger haters and iowa haters is pretty close to even.

Eh...I think your opinion's a bit colored by your dual-monikerness. The split between badger haters and iowa haters is pretty close to even.
You'd think so, but there was a thread on here a while ago and I'm pretty sure the Badgers took the "most hated" title. Also SI or Sporting News polled fans across the Big 10 and MN and Wiscy both named each other as the biggest rival. I'll see if I can dig it up.

You'd think so, but there was a thread on here a while ago and I'm pretty sure the Badgers took the "most hated" title. Also SI or Sporting News polled fans across the Big 10 and MN and Wiscy both named each other as the biggest rival. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I think the number one factor in that is both Minnesota and Wisconsin don't have another DI football instate rival. Iowa has ISU, MN has WI, and vise versa.....

\

Yeah, I just dug it up....looks like I was wrong. I'm a bit surprised by it, though....maybe I just know too many people from southern MN.

Do these other schools that play on black fridays, not have students who go home for thanksgiving? they seem to find ways to make it to the game. I think this is a brilliant idea

Nebraska/Colorado have no trouble filling the stands and that includes their students. I think the idea is a great one and I really hope this happens.

While the idea doesn't sound bad in principal, I'm against anything that would increases the odds of having more hawkeyes in TCF.

I think a game on black friday would add more hawkeyes to their typical turnout. Our student's game attendance declined with just about every home game as the season went on, and that was during the inaugrual season. There are more than enough casual fans in the stadium. We don't need to give them another excuse, be it holiday travel, or shopping, to sell their tickets to a hawkeye fan.

I can't see them going up against the 5A Championship. It'd have to be during the day on Friday.

The biggest revenue source is TV. And I think ESPN has a little bit more cash than Channel 9.

The biggest revenue source is TV. And I think ESPN has a little bit more cash than Channel 9.
Point taken. KSTC holds the Prep Bowl rights now. I feel it would be a bad PR move for a school that's not exactly the media darling in this town.

While the idea doesn't sound bad in principal, I'm against anything that would increases the odds of having more hawkeyes in TCF.

I think a game on black friday would add more hawkeyes to their typical turnout. Our student's game attendance declined with just about every home game as the season went on, and that was during the inaugrual season. There are more than enough casual fans in the stadium. We don't need to give them another excuse, be it holiday travel, or shopping, to sell their tickets to a hawkeye fan.

+1

Unfortunately you are likely correct in your assertion. Also, unfortunately, it's a pretty sad state of affairs in Gopher Nation that this is our big concern - having even more visitors in the stands for a rivalry game.

Top Bottom