MN Daily: Roster change, uncertainty keeping Richard Pitino busy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

As Pitino works on addressing internal uncertainty facing his program, he remains aware of the external uncertainty facing the whole world at this time. Having to stay home amid the COVID-19 pandemic has meant that all recruiting is now remote.

In addition to finding players to complete the roster, Pitino is also searching for a new member for his coaching staff. Pitino is attempting to replace former assistant Rob Jeter, who took the head coaching job at Western Illinois this offseason. That, Pitino says, has proven difficult.

"I'm being patient with that," Pitino said. "It's very important for me, when I hire an assistant, staff chemistry is so important. It's very important that whoever we bring in understands how we operate on a daily basis."

Even after this offseason's challenges get resolved, Pitino is aware that the pandemic may have long lasting effects on college sports as a whole. With the athletic department estimating revenue losses as high as $75 million, he feels budget cuts will be inevitable and necessary.

"We need to look into it without affecting the performance of the program," Pitino said. "That's something where I think every athletic department and every coach needs to be smart about it."

Nobody knows when college athletics will return or in what form. In the meantime, Pitino will remain active, both as a head coach and a father, trying to manage his children's WWE obsession.

"The problem with wrestling if you have little kids is it devolves into its own little match in your living room." Pitino said. "Then all of a sudden, they are beating each other up and taking each other down."

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom