MN Daily: Road games will determine Gophers' NCAA Tournament fate

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

At the halfway point of the Big Ten season, the Gophers have a 5-5 conference record, going 1-4 on the road but 4-1 at home, the only defeat at the hands of No. 14 Michigan State last Sunday.

The Gophers have reason for optimism with the schedule moving forward. For one, road teams have show improvement lately, going 8-5 last week after starting conference play 7-42. Also, one of Minnesota's remaining road games is against Northwestern, which, at 4-7, is the only Big Ten team more than one game below .500 at home this season.

However, there are still plenty of challenges ahead for Minnesota. There are four opponents on the Gophers' schedule currently ranked in the AP Top-25. Minnesota will play two of those teams on the road, beginning with a trip to take on No. 19 Illinois, who have not yet lost a Big Ten home game on Thursday, Jan. 30.

"I think you can sit here and say ... five more wins, you're an NCAA Tournament team," Pitino said. "I don't want that. I want to win every game."

Go Gophers!!

per the Daily:

At the halfway point of the Big Ten season, the Gophers have a 5-5 conference record, going 1-4 on the road but 4-1 at home, the only defeat at the hands of No. 14 Michigan State last Sunday.

The Gophers have reason for optimism with the schedule moving forward. For one, road teams have show improvement lately, going 8-5 last week after starting conference play 7-42. Also, one of Minnesota's remaining road games is against Northwestern, which, at 4-7, is the only Big Ten team more than one game below .500 at home this season.

However, there are still plenty of challenges ahead for Minnesota. There are four opponents on the Gophers' schedule currently ranked in the AP Top-25. Minnesota will play two of those teams on the road, beginning with a trip to take on No. 19 Illinois, who have not yet lost a Big Ten home game on Thursday, Jan. 30.

"I think you can sit here and say ... five more wins, you're an NCAA Tournament team," Pitino said. "I don't want that. I want to win every game."

Go Gophers!!

Pitino already lobbying by throwing that 5 (wins) number out there!

Top Bottom