MN Daily: Gophers men’s basketball eyeing long-term success

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per the Daily:

Johnson has recruited a mix of older and younger players. Currently, the roster has three true freshmen, with two more coming next season, and four players with four or more years of experience.

Cam Christie, one of the Gophers freshmen, made his collegiate debut against UTSA Friday after sitting out of the first game due to an illness. Christie put up 18 points, went four for six from the three-point line and had three rebounds.

“It was definitely rough to miss the scrimmage and the first few games but my teammates did a good job of keeping me included,” Christie said.

Christie said when adjusting to the tempo of college basketball, he would look to his junior teammate Elijah Hawkins to help him adjust, which made his transition from high school to college easier.

Finding a balance between recruiting large high school classes and smaller classes from year to year is a point Johnson made when discussing building a program according to his recruiting philosophy. Once he has an established program, Johnson said he would like to have an older team.

“To be able to stay old and have a couple of younger guys that could develop within your program,” Johnson said. “That could be an advantage to us.”

Go Gophers!!

“To be able to stay old and have a couple of younger guys that could develop within your program,” Johnson said. “That could be an advantage to us.”

With the new transfer portal rules, I think that's what most coaches are trying to do. Even those programs with perennially outstanding freshman classes (Kentucky, Duke) have taken a few transfers.

Top Bottom