MN Daily: Gaston Diedhiou could be eligible to join Gophers within a week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except GW's story is a figment of imagination.

Gaston Diedhiou, a 6-9 forward and native of Senegal who played at a high school in the Canary Islands last year, passed the NCAA Clearinghouse — typically the major academic hurdle — as a full qualifier earlier this summer, but he was denied by the school’s office of admissions, which deemed him unprepared for academic success at Minnesota, according to multiple university officials.

Those sources told the Star Tribune that Diedhiou’s English proficiency test scores were cited as the major concern.

I don't disagree with you in this case. If I had to put my money on what really happened here, I would fall on the side of exactly what has been published. However, maybe I'm too cynical, I don't believe that we hear everything that happens in these stories -- nor should we. So when somebody offers another opinion, I like to listen to it. Disagree with his/my/whomever's position by all means. That's healthy. It's the other garbage that gets annoying (to me anyway).

The U's admissions aren't unreasonable. He need's to get his scores up. His original scored showed he didn't have basic English reading skills.

I think we common folks wonder, then, how he was able to pass the ACT (or SAT, whatever he took which led to the widespread reports that he passed the NCAA clearinghouse standards). There seems to be a significant disconnect between those two pieces of information. Or is that a somewhat normal occurrence?

In any case, I sure hope he is admitted any day now. It seems very important to have him in the next 3 games so we can get him ready for conference play (and see if he's ready).

I can't say how I know, so I totally understand if you don't believe me, but I have first hand knowledge of his TOEFL scores. Everything on the first one was pretty low, but his reading score was what really stood out.

I think we common folks wonder, then, how he was able to pass the ACT (or SAT, whatever he took which led to the widespread reports that he passed the NCAA clearinghouse standards). There seems to be a significant disconnect between those two pieces of information. Or is that a somewhat normal occurrence?

It's really easy to pass through the NCAA Clearinghouse. They use a sliding scale that means the higher the GPA you have the lower your ACT/SAT score can be. So Gaston is either a very good student when taught in his original language, he takes a bunch of "easy A" classes, or a combination of the two.

If a student gets above a 3.55 core GPA they only need 37 total points on the test. Which means If you add up math, reading, english and science they only need to average a 10/36 on each section. Which is ridiculously easy. I averaged an 18 when I took it in 9th grade. Heck I've never heard of anyone getting below a 15. So, no shock he got through the Clearinghouse.

Here's a link to that information:https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2011-12_Quick_Reference_Sheet.pdf

i appreciate the info fraternity2017. and welcome to gh!

Excellent info Frat! Now if we can get someone on campus who has seen him play some ball to report in and let us know how good he looks at buckets- we will be in business.

It's really easy to pass through the NCAA Clearinghouse. They use a sliding scale that means the higher the GPA you have the lower your ACT/SAT score can be. So Gaston is either a very good student when taught in his original language, he takes a bunch of "easy A" classes, or a combination of the two.

If a student gets above a 3.55 core GPA they only need 37 total points on the test. Which means If you add up math, reading, english and science they only need to average a 10/36 on each section. Which is ridiculously easy. I averaged an 18 when I took it in 9th grade. Heck I've never heard of anyone getting below a 15. So, no shock he got through the Clearinghouse.

Here's a link to that information:https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2011-12_Quick_Reference_Sheet.pdf

Bad info. You're missing the complexities of an International education.

Bad info. You're missing the complexities of an International education.

I see you're now hedging your prediction that GD won't be on the team due to players lost. Nice way to CYA when your made up nonsense is proven wrong as usual.

You're so knowledgeable about sports and have such great journalistic integrity that I think you should quit your day job to focus on your blog 24/7.

If his suggestions aren't worth much, here is a rule of thumb: don't give them so much attention. The only thing continuing this thread is the back and forth about GW; there is little or no information about Gaston. This is how forums degenerate into virtual worthlessness.

I guess now that he's just a blowhard poster and not a modorator/'contributor' to this site, fair enough.

Good info. You cleared up the complexities of an International Education.

Andre Hollins looks hurt to me. I'm thinking GW is right on and he will be redshirting this season. Maybe next season too. How does the recruiting class look next year? Could be a huge year with a healthy Hollins!

Everybody rips on GW and he's annoying sometimes. He's no where near the bottom tier on this site. Gold Vision has never had an original thought in his life. There are others as well but not as pompous so they shall remain nameless

Andre Hollins looks hurt to me. I'm thinking GW is right on and he will be redshirting this season. Maybe next season too. How does the recruiting class look next year? Could be a huge year with a healthy Hollins!

GW lost me an many when he went on his Mbakwe crusade... Coach Kill, Norwood, etc.

Another practice that is not rare in Florida is for a judge to “withhold adjudication”. This means that while the court finds an individual guilty, he is not “convicted”. This can be beneficial for the defendant in that certain civil rights may be preserved (i.e. voting, right to bear arms. Editor’s Note: Our understanding is that Mbakwe is registered to vote in Minnesota and is considered to be a “convicted felon” under state statutes that cover voter eligibility despite the withhold as long as he remains on probation; therefore, it appears he’s currently unable to legally vote, so the withhold doesn’t have the same benefit as it may if he lived in Florida).

So, was Mbakwe convicted of the felony? No (although he may be this Friday). Was he found guilty? Absolutely.

Turns out Mr. Mbakwe never lost his right/ability to vote.

Good info. You cleared up the complexities of an International Education.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not....

The only difference between an international student and a regular student is the TOEFL score (or a version of it). And if a student does well enough on the ACT or SAT they don't even need the TOEFL

From the admission's website

Freshman applicants may be exempt from the total score requirement if they have:
Scored 430 or greater on the SAT critical reading (verbal) section; or
Scored 18 or higher on the ACT exam on the English AND Reading sections.

Additionally, a student may be exempt from the writing subscore requirement if they have:
Score greater than 470 on the SAT writing; or
Scored greater than 20 on the ACT writing

Note: For a native english speaker these scores should be no problem.

So, International applicants are required to submit the same materials as regular applicants. (Application, Application Fee, ACT/SAT and transcripts) but if the ACT/SAT is not good enough they ask for the TOEFL or an equivalent.

There are some complexities when it comes to getting Visa's and certain paperwork, but that is only after the student is accepted.

No sarcasm intended or directed toward you. You provide 'good info', especially with regard to NCAA Clearing house and U Admissions.

IMO you know more about this subject than anyone else on this thread - with the obvious possible exception of GW. :)

The only difference between an international student and a regular student is the TOEFL score (or a version of it). And if a student does well enough on the ACT or SAT they don't even need the TOEFL

So, International applicants are required to submit the same materials as regular applicants. (Application, Application Fee, ACT/SAT and transcripts) but if the ACT/SAT is not good enough they ask for the TOEFL or an equivalent.

There are some complexities when it comes to getting Visa's and certain paperwork, but that is only after the student is accepted.

Classic example of effective communication vs non effective communication. If you want someone to think you know something about a subject, educate. Don't belittle and say "it's too complicated for your pea brain" or "we'll see", "or you don't know what you're talking about...".

Thanks fraternity for educating the masses and providing sources to establish credibility. Now if some others on here would learn from that when they are making claims these threads could be much more productive.

Nope. There are specific nuances with each & every country and the various educational systems that can exist within the very same country (e.g., see Spain). How and which grades are translated for purposes of admission is complex and dependent on the specific circumstances.

Ask Oto about it.

Nope. There are specific nuances with each & every country and the various educational systems that can exist within the very same country (e.g., see Spain). How and which grades are translated for purposes of admission is complex and dependent on the specific circumstances.

Ask Oto about it.

I'm not going to argue, especially when I say something and you just reply "Nope". I promise you I know what I'm talking about from an admissions standpoint.

Nope.

Ask Oto about it.

GW rarley answers direct questions or gives any evidence when he claims people are wrong.

If you stick around here long enough you will learn that most of the questions directed to him that he actually answers appear to be written by him (under his other GH avatars) to make himself look like the "helpful expert".

Care to elaborate? I'm not an expert, but I do have first hand experience in this subject and I'm fairly certain that you're full of sh*t. The process for translating grades & setting admissions requirements is not complex at all. All major universities have and want students from other countries and are really efficient in determining what they need to admit someone, and usually use standard requirements to determine eligibility.

I feel like Sargent Schultz from Hogans Heroes, "I know nothing, NOTHING!" on this issue. Just hope the kid can get back on the team.

Soooooo...anyone have info on when we might be able expect a conclusion?

(On Gaston, not on whether or not GW is full of it.)

Right, that is all 95% of us care about anyway.

Well.... Since he is said to be taking the exam sometime this week and the team should know withing a few days that could be tomorrow, Friday, Monday, Tuesday... Maybe Hernandez needs some arm twisting from Norwood to not sleep on this until after Christmas!

Get it done fraternity2017!

University of Minnesota international freshman recruit Gaston Diedhiou will retake an English proficiency test next week and the team could know his eligibility status within a few days according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
Diedhiou -- a 6-foot-9 forward and native of Senegal who played in Spain's Canary Islands last year -- committed to Minnesota and new coach Richard Pitino in April but was denied entry by the school's office of admissions.
Director of admissions Rachelle Hernandez would have to approve Diedhiou's new test scores. If she does, Diedhiou would be eligible to compete and receive scholarship money when the second semester begins.
There is no minimum score guidelines for the test -- it's essentially a judgement call, Hernandez explained this summer.
Diedhiou, who passed the NCAA Clearinghouse last summer, has been on campus since August, participating in an English-intensive program as a non-student. He is allowed to watch Gophers practices and games and use the facilities to work out on his own, but he can't practice or go through any training with the team, nor can the team house him or pay for any expenses with scholarship money.
The coaches are not permitted to speak about Diedhiou per NCAA rules, since he is still a recruit.

Get it done fraternity2017!

I'll see what I can do. I'd assume his process will be expedited however. So as soon as his scores are available he'll probably have a decision within a day. (This might be different because of the holidays, who knows.)

Here are the test dates and locations: http://www.ets.org/bin/getprogram.c...country1=group_UnitedStates&t_state=Minnesota

I'd assume he's taking it Friday or Saturday in Woodbury if he hasn't already. But he may have already taken it (just a hunch, but we'll see) he just doesn't have the scores yet due to long processing times. I'll do what I can guys.

I'll see what I can do. I'd assume his process will be expedited however. So as soon as his scores are available he'll probably have a decision within a day. (This might be different because of the holidays, who knows.)

Here are the test dates and locations: http://www.ets.org/bin/getprogram.c...country1=group_UnitedStates&t_state=Minnesota

I'd assume he's taking it Friday or Saturday in Woodbury if he hasn't already. But he may have already taken it (just a hunch, but we'll see) he just doesn't have the scores yet due to long processing times. I'll do what I can guys.

Which fraternity?

Which fraternity?

I'm not super interested in putting that online, especially since I've been dropping some semi classified information. If there is a way to direct message on here feel free to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom