Minnesota's P.J. Fleck on Kirk Ferentz's late-game timeouts? 'Didn't offend me one bit'

Role reversal? The Ferentz's would have done what was needed to put the ball in the end zone and avoid the shutout too. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

Role reversal? The Ferentz's would have done what was needed to put the ball in the end zone and avoid the shutout too. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.
Doubt it. You really think a HC should be that concerned about avoiding a shutout and risking an injury to a starter in a 35-0 game?

What was the upside? Being able to brag you've never been held scoreless in a game?

Doubt it. You really think a HC should be that concerned about avoiding a shutout and risking an injury to a starter in a 35-0 game?

What was the upside? Being able to brag you've never been held scoreless in a game?
Agree to disagree.

That's what I don't get ... of course you'd understand why the other team would want to score ...

With 22 seconds to go? You're already getting your ass beaten..35-7/35-0.

I see little difference.
You wouldn't want to erase the shutout against your 2nd biggest rival?

Youve never played or coached sports, have you?
So ... moral victory not getting shut out? LOL

Just beat Wisky and Iowa this season and I'll be convinced 2019 wasn't a fluke.

So ... moral victory not getting shut out? LOL

Just beat Wisky and Iowa this season and I'll be convinced 2019 wasn't a fluke.
Do we need to beat them? At least one, hopefully both. It is the necessary next step in a progression upward. If we don’t beat them, however, I fail to see the logic in saying that 2019 was a fluke—a season in which we LOST to both Iowa and Wisconsin! We are good enough to beat Iowa and perhaps Wisconsin (depending on which Mertz shows up). But the psychological disadvantage we have allowed ourselves to be placed at is a formidable obstacle. That will take both coaches and team leaders to overcome.

2014 Kill team beat Iowa 51-14 at TCF...

51-14

big games from Maxx, Maye, Mitch, Cobb, and a defense loaded with NFL talent

was third win in five years for MN...had to help in landing that good local class for 2016...Coughlin, Tyler, Martin, Barber, Schlueter, Olson...Winfield, Seth

next year, went into Kinnick for a night game and almost ruined their undefeated season...40-35

close games in '16, '17, '19

You can do the research, but the discussion is if the HC had the starters in the game in those "closing seconds" you refer to?

Get back to us when you find out.

TIA
I'm not going to research 7 year old Iowa football depth charts to answer this question, in large part because I don't care if Iowa had their starters in or not, it doesn't bother me either way. It looks like backup QB CJ Beathard was in, and RB Akrum Wadley got 5 of his 9 carries on this final drive, which ended up being about half of Iowa's rushing yards for the game, so he was likely the second RB behind Mark Wiseman. That's the extent of how much I'm going to examine starters vs. backups.

Iowa received a punt at their own 19 yard line with 2:37 left in the 4th quarter, down 51-7. They passed 4 times and ran 5 times, with two of those runs being after clock stoppages due to first downs, and one of them being a successful conversion on 4th and 1. They also called a timeout just before scoring a touchdown with 14 seconds left in the game.

So with 2:37 left in the game, and down 6 touchdowns, they drove 80 yards in under 2 and a half minutes, went for it on 4th down, and called a timeout. It seems like Iowa wanted to score, and I don't really have a problem with that. Though now that I think about it, having been at the game, Ferentz might have gotten some boos for calling a timeout with 20 seconds to go.

vnn , yeartheisreally2021scenariocurrenttheI'm not going to research 7 year old Iowa football depth charts to answer this question, in large part because I don't care if Iowa had their starters in or not, it doesn't bother me either way. It looks like backup QB CJ Beathard was in, and RB Akrum Wadley got 5 of his 9 carries on this final drive, which ended up being about half of Iowa's rushing yards for the game, so he was likely the second RB behind Mark Wiseman. That's the extent of how much I'm going to examine starters vs. backups.

Iowa received a punt at their own 19 yard line with 2:37 left in the 4th quarter, down 51-7. They passed 4 times and ran 5 times, with two of those runs being after clock stoppages due to first downs, and one of them being a successful conversion on 4th and 1. They also called a timeout just before scoring a touchdown with 14 seconds left in the game.

So with 2:37 left in the game, and down 6 touchdowns, they drove 80 yards in under 2 and a half minutes, went for it on 4th down, and called a timeout. It seems like Iowa wanted to score, and I don't really have a problem with that. Though now that I think about it, having been at the game, Ferentz might have gotten some boos for calling a timeout with 20 seconds to go.
Thanks for the research. Brings back some good memories of an all too infrequent Gopher win over Iowa.

Given the current scenario, 2021 really is the season for a sweep of both the Badgers and Hawkeyes.

Likely can't win the West without it.

Top Bottom