Minnesota's football program continues to set new academic records

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dustin:

P.J. Fleck is known for creating a strong culture in Minnesota. It’s not just on-field success he cares about, the head coach also places a strong emphasis on success outside of football.

That includes the classroom.

Recently, Minnesota shared that its football team posted a fall semester grade point average of 3.41, the highest for any fall semester in program history. The team also has a cumulative GPA of 3.30, which is the highest in school history, as well.

In addition to the cumulative success, 107 Golden Gopher football players finished the semester with a 3.0 GPA or higher. That’s pretty impressive for any program at any level.

Go Gophers!!

per Dustin:

P.J. Fleck is known for creating a strong culture in Minnesota. It’s not just on-field success he cares about, the head coach also places a strong emphasis on success outside of football.

That includes the classroom.

Recently, Minnesota shared that its football team posted a fall semester grade point average of 3.41, the highest for any fall semester in program history. The team also has a cumulative GPA of 3.30, which is the highest in school history, as well.

In addition to the cumulative success, 107 Golden Gopher football players finished the semester with a 3.0 GPA or higher. That’s pretty impressive for any program at any level.

Go Gophers!!
This is absolutely amazing. Great job, Gophers!

About 10-15 years ago, I had a friend that was taking pre-med classes and had a player from the men's basketball team in an organic chemistry class. This player said he was being pressured to change his major to something easier (supposedly to help bring the team GPA up). Granted this is hearsay, but I'm curious if folks think this goes on (or used to).

About 10-15 years ago, I had a friend that was taking pre-med classes and had a player from the men's basketball team in an organic chemistry class. This player said he was being pressured to change his major to something easier (supposedly to help bring the team GPA up). Granted this is hearsay, but I'm curious if folks think this goes on (or used to).

Dude I know who played on 2 B1G teams said some guys would show up at school and go to the athletic staff ... and they'd hand them their schedule for that semester. Classes and everything were all registered for them. Presumably to be sure they took the 'right' classes.

Dude I know who played on 2 B1G teams said some guys would show up at school and go to the athletic staff ... and they'd hand them their schedule for that semester. Classes and everything were all registered for them. Presumably to be sure they took the 'right' classes.
If the kid doesn't really care and is just there to play their sport and is fine taking the "right classes," I have no concern over that. However, if the kid wants to take on tougher classes, I'd be disappointed to hear they are pressured not to. And maybe I'm quite naive about all this!

I would love to know the GPA of the scout team vs the rest of the team.

If the kid doesn't really care and is just there to play their sport and is fine taking the "right classes," I have no concern over that. However, if the kid wants to take on tougher classes, I'd be disappointed to hear they are pressured not to. And maybe I'm quite naive about all this!

I feel like when the team signs you up for your classes and etc the vaneer of 'student athlete' really starts to rub off... more than usual.

I was at the U in the early 90s and there were 2 future NHL hockey players in the IT Honors Program. I have no idea if they were getting any pressure to change their majors though.

I also know former D1 and D3 athletes who were very smart people, but whose GPA's suffered due to playing their sport. I'm not sure I would have been able to study for 12 hours on a Sunday if I was an athlete.

I would love to know the GPA of the scout team vs the rest of the team.

What is the scout team? Non-scholarship players?

Let’s say they make up 25% of the team. So even if they have a 4.0 as a group, I rest of the team has to have a roughly 3.22 GPA for the semester to get the 3.41 (I believe. Long time since I calculated team/individual GPAs, especially with just my phone calculator)

Edit: I doubt the non scholarship players have a cumulative 4.0 meaning if my math is correct the rest of the team has over a 3.22, which I’m guessing is much higher than the average student GPA)

Anyone saying kids are given classes to boost the team GPA may be right in some cases but plenty of these kids take completely legitimate and sometimes very difficult majors. Blaise Andries is taking tougher classes than I ever did. They have kids in Carlson, just like the basketball team does. Lots of hearsay in here.

Anyone saying kids are given classes to boost the team GPA may be right in some cases but plenty of these kids take completely legitimate and sometimes very difficult majors. Blaise Andries is taking tougher classes than I ever did. They have kids in Carlson, just like the basketball team does. Lots of hearsay in here.

There's like 1000 guys on a football team so I dont' think anyone is saying EVERYONE is taking easy classes.... but it is something that occurs to you when you see infinitely improving academic scores...

There's like 1000 guys on a football team so I dont' think anyone is saying EVERYONE is taking easy classes.... but it is something that occurs to you when you see infinitely improving academic scores...
Apparently, academics weren't very important to you.

I strongly disagree with you.

Top Bottom