Minnesota Will Not Practice on Tuesday, Will Hold Meetings Virtually

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per U of MN press release ->

Upon the advice of medical experts, the University of Minnesota football team will not practice on Tuesday and will conduct all meetings virtually as a result of presumptive COVID-19 positive tests Monday. The team's goal is to return to a regular practice schedule on Wednesday in preparation for Saturday’s game at Wisconsin. An update will be provided when additional test results are returned and more information is available.

So I would assume if those presumptive positive tests are confirmed positives, there will be no practice on Wednesday either? From the outside looking in, it really feels like this game should be canceled.

0E5qYug.gif

When are we going to run out of guys to get Covid? There's only 100-ish players and tallying up all the waves we know of at least 30-40 guys have to have antibodies by now.

When are we going to run out of guys to get Covid? There's only 100-ish players and tallying up all the waves we know of at least 30-40 guys have to have antibodies by now.
I’m not a math major but that leaves about 60-70 more guys who could still get it???

Cue Jim Morrison:

This is the end, beautiful friend
This is the end, my only friend
The end of our elaborate plans
The end of ev'rything that stands
The end
No safety or surprise
The end

That doesn't necessarily preclude false positives or such. And there have beeen documented cases of what look like 're-infection'. Positive tests, someone fights it, and later out of nowhere more positive tests (not common but worrisome).

As far as I know no sports leage has implmented a "yeah he's clear because he had it" policy.

That doesn't necessarily preclude false positives or such. And there have beeen documented cases of what look like 're-infection'. Positive tests, someone fights it, and later out of nowhere more positive tests (not common but worrisome).

As far as I know no sports leage has implmented a "yeah he's clear because he had it" policy.
And even if half the team had it...that still leaves the other half the team that can get it

Not sure of this...but if Wisconsin loses another scheduled game, I’m thinking their post season aspirations would be done.

Walking in the other guy’s shoes...that would suck.

Not sure of this...but if Wisconsin loses another scheduled game, I’m thinking their post season aspirations would be done.

Guess they shouldn't have made the choice to cancel against Nebraska and Purdue cause their two QBs were out? If you recall those were not Big Ten-mandated

The Northwestern loss all but ended their shot at the Big Ten Title so while this game getting cancelled would officially eliminate them from the Big Ten title picture it wouldn't really have been an issue anyway. Northwestern is not losing 2 of their last 3 games given who they have to play.

Hopefully we can play in order to keep the streak going and also because our young defensive players need as many game reps as they can get this season to help get them ready to go for 2021.

Wonder why people jumped to that conclusion? :unsure:

"Fleck said in his video conference Monday that players who test positive from one of the daily antigen tests are presumed positive until follow-up PCR tests can confirm.

The Gophers are waiting for those confirmatory tests, but the athletic department decided to pause while waiting for those results. While not a Big Ten mandated shutter, the Gophers relied on their medical team for this call. It’s unclear how the team will continue if all or many of the new positive cases are confirmed.

Fleck emphasized how the 22 total from the Purdue game was a mix of injuries as well as COVID-19 positive cases, adding that only about half — or roughly 11 players — were from COVID issues.

“But that’s over a period of time,” Fleck said, referencing how players sit out 21 days after testing positive for isolation, cardiac testing and general recovery. “I think everybody heard that number and overreacted, [saying], ‘Wow. How could you do that?’ ”

They'll still go a bowl game (assuming those happen), but would take very extreme circumstances for them to get back into the Big Ten championship game. That will be Ohio St vs. NW.

Wonder why people jumped to that conclusion? :unsure:

"Fleck said in his video conference Monday that players who test positive from one of the daily antigen tests are presumed positive until follow-up PCR tests can confirm.

The Gophers are waiting for those confirmatory tests, but the athletic department decided to pause while waiting for those results. While not a Big Ten mandated shutter, the Gophers relied on their medical team for this call. It’s unclear how the team will continue if all or many of the new positive cases are confirmed.

Fleck emphasized how the 22 total from the Purdue game was a mix of injuries as well as COVID-19 positive cases, adding that only about half — or roughly 11 players — were from COVID issues.

“But that’s over a period of time,” Fleck said, referencing how players sit out 21 days after testing positive for isolation, cardiac testing and general recovery. “I think everybody heard that number and overreacted, [saying], ‘Wow. How could you do that?’ ”

I mean, didn't Fleck also indicate that we were close to cancelling the Purdue game? I feel like almost cancelling the Purdue game and then cancelling Tuesday's practice is a fair reason to get worried about the game on Saturday.

Is it bad that I'm sort of indifferent to them cancelling it?

Nope, there are so many things going on in life right now it's hard to process how we are supposed to feel about stuff...we're all going numb.
Vaccine optimism vs people saying they won't take it kind of canceling out the effectiveness.
Millions of people traveling because they are bored and impatient during a time of accelerated spread already.
No unified plan for schools leaving each to their own policy across the country.
Hospitals overwhelmed, asking retired vulnerable workers to return.
On and on, plus college game controversy if they'll play, if they should have played, with no answers to any of this stuff.
Indifferent almost is the only way to cope...too many controversies and repercussions to sort them all out.

Honestly the season shouldn’t have been played. If it was going to be played it should’ve been played early (Aug 1) not late.

Honestly the season shouldn’t have been played. If it was going to be played it should’ve been played early (Aug 1) not late.
Especially, once you canceled it. Early, would have allowed makeup dates. Spring could have assessed the vaccine. But, it's a bad fire drill now.

Top Bottom