Minnesota vs. Michigan game features the first all African American football officiating crew in the history of the Big Ten

GopherLady

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this had been posted, but at quick glance, didn't see it, and it's worth being posted twice if that's the case.

Press release:
The Big Ten Conference is proud to announce that tonight’s game between Minnesota and Michigan features the first all African American football officiating crew in the history of the Big Ten and any Autonomy Five conference. Comprised of 11 men and one woman, the historic crews includes on-field officials, replay official, communicator and timer:

Larry Smith – Referee

Ed Feaster – Umpire

William McKoy – Head Line Judge

Dorsey Skinner – Line Judge

Lamont Simpson – Field Judge

LaShell Nelson – Side Judge

Robert Smith Jr. – Back Judge

Greg Nelson – Center Judge

Calvin Diggs – Alternate

James Robinson – Replay Official

Terry Young – Communicator

Darrel Leftwich – Timer

On Oct. 23, the Big Ten Conference announced the launch of the ‘United As One’ social justice campaign. ‘United As One’ is among several conference-wide Equality Coalition initiatives dedicated to constructively and collectively recognizing and eliminating racism and hate in our society by creating resources for inclusion, empowerment and accountability.

The Big Ten Conference established the Equality Coalition in 2020 with 227 members including presidents and chancellors, directors of athletics, coaches, student-athletes, conference and school administrators, alumni, families and friends representing all 14 institutions.

#B1GVote was established in partnership with the National Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights as a nonpartisan conference-wide educational collaboration to encourage student-athletes to take part in the electoral process.

Twenty-two percent of the 2020 Big Ten football officiating staff is comprised of minorities and/or women.

Photo Information (L-R): Darrel Leftwich, LaShell Nelson, James Robinson, Gregory Nelson, Terry Young, Calvin Diggs, Commissioner Kevin Warren, Edward "Ed" Feaster, Gil Marchman, Larry "Smitty" Smith, Lamont Simpson, William "Will" McKoy, Dorsey Skinner, Robert Smith Jr. (University of Minnesota/Brad Rempel)

Officials.JPG

Can't say I was paying super close attention to the refs (due to the Gopers' own issues) but I don't remember a single bad call.

Can't say I was paying super close attention to the refs (due to the Gopers' own issues) but I don't remember a single bad call.

I honestly think it was the least complaining I've heard about calls in a Gopher for a long long long time.

Very true. They took command of the game and called a good one.

Top Bottom