Minnesota: The cursed sports wasteland

stocker08

Reaction score
I hate to be the boy who cried wolf, but luck cannot begin to describe this.

- Timberwolves continue to be one of the worst teams in the league despite countless top picks. Not to mention the fact that we have never moved up in the lottery, only down.
- After nearly making it to the super bowl, the vikings come back and play a terrible season.
- The twins, again fail to make it past the first round in the playoffs.
- Gophers football after somewhat turning it around the past couple of seasons come back for 2010 worse than ever. Another loss to an FCS team :facepalm:. I still cannot believe the sports gods allowed us wins over Illinois and Iowa to end the season.
- Gophers hockey is canned in the first round of the WCHA, 2 games to none.
- Gophers basketball has a worse breakdown than your 30 year old datsun. A couple injuries and a transfer take a big ten contender and makes them look like a cheap ikea dvd rack. It looked as though there was no way we wouldn't make the tournament, we didn't even make the NIT.
- Did I mention the Timberwolves are still pretty bad???

Minnesota sports are clearly cursed.

yea but

The twins beat the yankees today. The curse is over *wink*.

The t-wolves are on a two game winning streak as well. Bright days ahead folks!

Don't forget about the Wild.....The best arena and best fans in THE STATE OF HOCKEY and they can't put together a decent roster or lure any elite free agents. Instead I have to watch a bunch of stiffs I'v enever heard of.

don't forget the Wild losing back to back 4-0 games and really damaged there playoff chances, they fit right in with the normal Minnesota team, everything to play for and they fail to even show up. Even the womens sports at the U are falling on there faces, in addition to Borton's bunch of underacheivers, we have the womens hockey team getting thumped in the first round. Joel might be the most upset over that.

The twins are the lone bright spot on the twin cities sports scene

The Twins are the lone bright spot but let's face it.....they play in a mediocre division and really only compete with 2 other teams for a playoff spot. Kansas City and Cleveland are usually eliminated from playoff contention by May 1st.

this curse crap is just BS. We just have the worst leadership of local sports teams in the country.
Glen Taylor is a business ace and a sports nitwit. The more he gets involved the worse it gets. The Wilffs know as much about sports as the average poster on this board. Maturi is an accountant at heart. The guy who owns the Wild borrowed so much money to buy them he has to make a buck every year.
The only stable franchis is the Twins, and that is because Carl did not panic and throw out his management team when things looked bad a couple of times. For the money they spend they do a great job. Everyone else is in "On the Job Training".
The biggest problem is that Maturi will never really get it, but I don't want him to hire anymore coaches.

Memo to Minnesota athletes and their coaches, both collegiate and professional -- STOP SUCKING! I can't take it anymore.

Cursed Sports Wasteland?

Yeah, but...

Didn't the Gopher Dance Line win the National Championship? Ha!! Take that Ohio State!!!

I'm a raging optimist and even I've had a really bad sports year. Rubbing salt in the wound is seeing the Badgers roll over the Big Ten and get to celebrate in Pasadena (the loss was gratifying however ;)...The Packers have a shiny new trophy...The Badger hockey team is still playing...The Badger hockey girls beat our Gopher girls for yet another trophy...

Man, I'm pathetic, but good grief. Will one major sports team deliver something worth celebrating? Pretty Please?

Go freakin Gophers!

The only stable franchis is the Twins, and that is because Carl did not panic and throw out his management team when things looked bad a couple of times.

The same Carl who was willing to let the Twins be contracted?

The Vikings and Gophers are cursed. Who can deny it? Is it Finks AND Red McCombs and Ziggy's fault that they've never gotten over the hump even though they had the talent? Or is it something more? And we know about Ghost of Gangelhoff.

The Twins may just have run their luck in the red in 1987 when they had no business winning the World Series. But I think they've made up for it already x 10. Time for more good luck.

In all seriousness, the 3 biggest issues facing the MN sports scene are Bruinicks/Maturi, Wilf/Speilman and Taylor/Kahn. None are good at their jobs as it pertains to winning games.

For those of you who talk about Wisconsin and the Rose Bowl and the Packers and the Super Bowl and the Badgers in the NCAA tournament, I simply offer this consolation.

They also have Scott Walker as their governor.

I'd rather lose than have that joker as our governor.

The Vikings and Gophers are cursed. Who can deny it? Is it Finks AND Red McCombs and Ziggy's fault that they've never gotten over the hump even though they had the talent? Or is it something more? And we know about Ghost of Gangelhoff.

The Twins may just have run their luck in the red in 1987 when they had no business winning the World Series. But I think they've made up for it already x 10. Time for more good luck.

In all seriousness, the 3 biggest issues facing the MN sports scene are Bruinicks/Maturi, Wilf/Speilman and Taylor/Kahn. None are good at their jobs as it pertains to winning games.

I agree with your post, however I feel somewhat bad for the Wilfs as they do seem to be willing to spend whatever it takes to make the Vikings a model franchise. Unfortunately, they fall in love with the first coach they interview (Childress) and then when they fire him, they go directly to Frazier without interviewing anyone else. Some of the other people don't seem to care too much about winning.

The Twins are the lone bright spot but let's face it.....they play in a mediocre division and really only compete with 2 other teams for a playoff spot. Kansas City and Cleveland are usually eliminated from playoff contention by May 1st.

Cleveland isn't really that far removed from success, and Detroit isn't that far removed from horrible teams. Each division has bottom dwellers each year.

I know it's sick right. :( I always tell my friends its easy to cheer for winners all the time but it takes real heart to be a MN sports fan.

Exactly.. People in the office love discussing the brilliance of their governors :rolleyes:

You mean people don't wear shirt with pictures of their governor on casual Friday? I once had one that said 'My governor can beat up your governor.' But I got rid of it when T-Paw left office. ;)

You undersold the Twins. Losers of twelve (12) straight postseason games! That's enough to bring any fan to their knees. Isn't the record 13?

Overall, hard to avoid the suspicion that this is a big, cruel joke.

Top Bottom