Minnesota ranked #10 in final AP Poll

I've seen some publication and writer rankings for next year already. We haven't even been listed in top 25. Iowa was also absent in both.
I would be shocked if we aren't ranked to start the season. I can't imagine it's very often that a team finishes a season in the top 10 and doesn't start the year in the top 25, especially a power 5 team.

I was expecting a 7-5 type season, but PJ even blew my socks off!

This is the first time the Gophers have finished as a top 10 team in either poll since 1962.

It's the first time they've finished a season ranked since 2003.

Would have to go back to August but pretty sure very few 10-2 predictions. I was a very hopeful 9 win season but really expected 8 and was mentally prepared for 7 Ws. Very happy to be beat by this team.

Progress.

My prediction was 8-4 but I qualified that all over the place with my opinion that I wouldn't be shocked if the Gophers topped my official prediction. I was still wrong, and of course happy about it, but I did bring up a few comparisons to Northwestern's breakout season and said it was possible. It didn't happen to the degree of the Rose Bowl, but the Auburn win was the best consolation prize I could imagine. It is going to be a long off-season counting the days to the 2020 season.

My prediction was 8-4 but I qualified that all over the place with my opinion that I wouldn't be shocked if the Gophers topped my official prediction. I was still wrong, and of course happy about it, but I did bring up a few comparisons to Northwestern's breakout season and said it was possible. It didn't happen to the degree of the Rose Bowl, but the Auburn win was the best consolation prize I could imagine. It is going to be a long off-season counting the days to the 2020 season.
Yeah, if you told me before the season that we were gonna lose to Iowa and Wisconsin, and miss the Rose Bowl, this would be the pie in the sky season scenario that met those conditions.

McMurphy's too early 2020 top 25 is missing the Gophers and the USA Today too early top 25 is also missing the Gophers.

That is shocking honestly. I can see moving us around some but given where we finished the year and considering what we bring back on offense I really don't see anyway someone can justify leaving us out of their preseason top 25 (way to early or not).

I see where both have us at #26. Oh well, more things for Fleck to use to fuel guys during the off season :)

I predicted a 10-2 record, but figured the 2 losses would be PSU and one game we should win but let slip away(the Iowa game ended up fitting that spot). But I didn't expect the first 3 games all being so close, almost made those wins more special actually, and then I didn't expect games 5-8 all being blowouts. I figured we'd get a winnable Bowl Game, but 2nd guessed that when we got Auburn, but wow, winning that game, Fleck just may deserve a statue, lol.

Interesting to go back and read what people were thinking before the season last year. 9 people in the poll predicted 10 wins but Some Guy was the only one I found that flat out said 10-2 in his post.
I voted 10 wins, but never responded to the thread.

View attachment 6922

We end up above two teams we lost to and behind one team we beat haha! Gotta love it tho!

Go Gophers!

It's great you made the top 10. Looking at 1-9 you're in with great FBS company and at #10 you're now at the top of the FBS. Great recruiting tool. I hope you break 10 regular season wins and win your bowl.

Last edited:

I see you have Tennessee Tech, from the OVC on your schedule as your FCS game.
2019 record 6-6
2019 schedule https://www.ttusports.com/sports/fball/2019-20/schedule
They rush for 142 ypg@ 3.5 YPC
They pass for 238 ypg
Score 28 ppg

They allow 35ppg
they allow 425 ypg

I see the Gophers beating them badly

Last edited:

I see you have Tennessee Tech, from the OVC on your schedule as your FCS game.
2019 record 6-6
They rush for 142 ypg@ 3.5 YPC
They pass for 238 ypg
Score 28 ppg

They allow 35ppg
they allow 425 ypg

I see the Gophers beating them badly

It better be a beat down.

It better be a beat down.

They are no top tear FCS team like NDSU, SDSU or JMU.

With them giving up
They allow 35ppg
they allow 425 ypg

You should be able to trow up 500 yards and at least 48 points to their 10 points.

I predicted a 10-2 record, but figured the 2 losses would be PSU and one game we should win but let slip away(the Iowa game ended up fitting that spot). But I didn't expect the first 3 games all being so close, almost made those wins more special actually, and then I didn't expect games 5-8 all being blowouts. I figured we'd get a winnable Bowl Game, but 2nd guessed that when we got Auburn, but wow, winning that game, Fleck just may deserve a statue, lol.

I can see 10-2 or maybe +1 & pad your stats with your OOC opponenents.

I also see you play FAU who were 11-3 last year.

FAU's 2019 schedule -http://warrennolan.com/football/2019/schedule/FAU

They could give you a little trouble in the first half. They were ranked # 27 in both the AP & Coaches poll and beat SMU 52 - 28 in their bowl.

I see that GSU plays FAU in its 3rd game of the season. You gophers soften them up for us. :drink:

10% of the voters of that poll claimed that they expected the Gophers to win 11 or 12 regular season games in 2019, and the poll was back in July.

:rolleyes:

When there's no actual skin on the line, people will make all kinds of absurd bets.

Me too, though I think I was more realistically thinking 9, optimal was 10.

Interesting to go back and read what people were thinking before the season last year. 9 people in the poll predicted 10 wins but Some Guy was the only one I found that flat out said 10-2 in his post.
Like I do in elections I voted multiple times.

Congrats on your great season and may the success continue. I'm a Bison fan, but I also support the Gophers. Both NDSU and the U of M are part of my family. Carry on and best of luck in 2020.

We have to get used to a new reality of the Gophers being ranked.

An eight win season in 2019 is what I thought was their ceiling only to be pleasantly surprised with an 11-2 season.

Yup. The victory over Auburn was a nice consolation price for missing out on the Rose Bowl by four points and a couple of plays down in Iowa City.

IMHO, the Gopher could have beaten Oregon had they gone to the Rose Bowl.

They key to the Gophers' success is the coup in signing Curtis Dunlop and Daniel Faalele from IMG Academy joining Sam Schleuter, Blais Andries, John Schmitz, and Conner Olson.

The Gophers model is to use massive offensive linemen to move heaven and earth to stage their version of RPO. We saw what it can do in the Outback Bowl against a highly ranked Auburn Defense. They played aggressive and smart and wore down the Auburn Defense.

The Gophers better keep recruiting those massive OLs coming. The Gophers have signed 6' 7" 344-lb OG Tyrell Lawrence and 6' 7" 320-lb OT Martes Lewis in the 2020 Class.

This weekend, 2021 recruit OT Cameron James who is 6' 8" 280 lbs is visiting with the Gophers. It will be nice to get an early commitment from him.

Top Bottom