Minnesota Prep Players Performance at Nike Combine

vames

Reaction score
Andrew Larson, 5'11 195, RB, from Eden Prairie and Keelon Brookins, 5'10 175, WR/CB, from Tartan had very impressive performances yesterday down in Chicago at the Nike SPARQ Combine.

Over 1100 players from the Midwest attended, Larson finished with the No. 7 SPARQ rating out of all attendees with a combined score of 103.08. Recorded an electronic 4.64 40 yd dash (20th) with football cleats on turf, 4.16 pro agility (18th), 35' medicine ball toss (131st), and 35.6' vertical (16th). Was named Rising Senior Honorable Mention.

From the article:

What a difference a year makes. After posting a 62.61 SPARQ Rating last year in Chicago, Brookins came back bigger, stronger and faster putting up a 93.60 Rating headlined by a 4.60 in the 40, and 35-inch vertical jump. As a sophomore, Brookins caught 13 passes for 245 yards and four touchdowns and picked off five passes from his corner position.

http://rise.espn.go.com/football/articles/2011/03/26-Chicago-recap-Nike-combine.aspx

So, have they both committed to the Gopher yet?

Andrew Larson, 5'11 195, RB, from Eden Prairie and Keelon Brookins, 5'10 175, WR/CB, from Tartan had very impressive performances yesterday down in Chicago at the Nike SPARQ Combine.

Over 1100 players from the Midwest attended, Larson finished with the No. 7 SPARQ rating out of all attendees with a combined score of 103.08. Recorded an electronic 4.64 40 yd dash (20th) with football cleats on turf, 4.16 pro agility (18th), 35' medicine ball toss (131st), and 35.6' vertical (16th). Was named Rising Senior Honorable Mention.

From the article:

What a difference a year makes. After posting a 62.61 SPARQ Rating last year in Chicago, Brookins came back bigger, stronger and faster putting up a 93.60 Rating headlined by a 4.60 in the 40, and 35-inch vertical jump. As a sophomore, Brookins caught 13 passes for 245 yards and four touchdowns and picked off five passes from his corner position.

http://rise.espn.go.com/football/articles/2011/03/26-Chicago-recap-Nike-combine.aspx

When are they going to offer Larson? Arguably the top RB in the state, great grades, atheletic good charactered kid.

I also noticed a Wisconsin running back, Leo Musso, in the article that was linked. Anyone know if we're going after him?
Musso had better scores/times/etc. than Andrew Larson.

Musso doesn't have any reported offers to date but has expressed interest in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Northern Illinois. Wisconsin just got a verbal from Vonte Jackson and he is probably going to be the only RB in this class. I wouldn't be surprised to see Musso in Dinkytown this spring.

When are they going to offer Larson? Arguably the top RB in the state, great grades, atheletic good charactered kid.

I think the fact that there are three running backs of similar caliber in MN and two more just like them in WI, that the staff will wait until camp to see if they will offer any of them. The fact that Larson is a good kid with great grades and just so happens to play for Eden Prairie are great tie-breakers, but Kill will offer the player he thinks is best suited for Limegrover's offense.

I don't think he is a big time running back. But that's just me.

Rose,

What don't you like about him? The kid is incredibly tough to tackle, gets the tough yards, cuts extremely well, has great vision and has legit speed. I know he is white and from MN so he won't blow up on the national stage, but I'm really trying to find reasons why he isn't worthy of a BCS scholly and I just can't find any.

His Gopher offer is just a formality, I heard Kill has a scholarhip for him at camp, if not sooner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_amAZuNrms

Larson is the kind of guy that you sign up and find a position for him. There really aren't many kids in the state of MN that are close to 200 lbs and run a 4.6 40 (electronically timed).

This is a kid who 17 months from now could easily be 205-210 who is timed in the late 4.5's (electronically). If he isn't a top notch RB, he could easily become a S or even bulk him up and turn him into a LB/DE/H-Back.

With his grades, size and speed, I can't imagine him not getting an offer.

Legit 4.6 speed doesn't happen very often in MN. He has to receive an offer on that basis alone. As others have already stated, find a spot for him if you don't like him at RB. But he has to be a Gopher.

He is the complete package that Kill says he loves. Tough, fast, smart, wants to be a Gopher and he has his head screwed on straight. Very good chance (imo) he would committ quickly to Minnesota if offered.

He reminds me of Jake mahacheck (spelling) from eastview. Great speed. Wing t. Solid line. Won't have a problem with him getting an offer, but not expecting him to set the world on fire either.

Top Bottom