Minnesota OL Nathan Umlor Entered the Transfer Portal

Good luck to young man

Ben Davis is a case in point where he doesn't have enough time to develop because he ran out of clock. He is getting his degree and graduates early.

Good luck to these fellows ! I hope things work out and they see action on the field.

Wasn't Nate rushed into playing DL as a freshman and then never saw the field again?

Wasn't Nate rushed into playing DL as a freshman and then never saw the field again?

He played DL, and then back to OL and appeared on the two deep but not sure how good he was.

He was initially in the group heading to Western Michigan and then came to Minn. with Coach Fleck. I think originally Nate came in as a tight end. They then moved him to DL as they were short players there and he played quite a bit in the bowl game last year, and was then moved to Off, guard this past spring.

Last edited:

Any guesses as to who?

I have zero inside information, but predicting these things is pretty easy every year. Look at the RS SO and RS JR who do not appear to be in the two deeps or rotation at all - they are likely candidates. Look at some of the RS FR who play positions that you seem to think "why are we recruiting this position so hard?" - they are likely candidates.

It's not an exact science, there are always guys I think will be gone who stick around and contribute. There are always guys that I think will be a big part of the team who leave, but it's not too difficult to guess most of them.

You can sign 25 guys per year, times five years is 125 players. But you can only have 85 guys on scholarship for any given season, which is a difference of 40. So on average, assuming that you expect all 25 guys you sign to be on campus for at least that first fall ... the other four classes have to contribute an average of 10 guys out of their original 25 who are no longer with the team. Which can be quite a variety of reasons:
- transferred out
- graduated early
- "encouraged" to do either of the two above
- retired/quit football, and so on

It always works out every season.

Interestingly, we have two guys who came in this season as graduate students (MDT and St Juste) who will have multiple years of eligibility. MDT has next year, and St Juste has two more years!

It's kinda incredible that St Juste was only at Michigan for maybe five spring/fall semesters, plus summers, and was able to earn enough credits to graduate with a Bachelor's degree. And that is a top notch academic school.

You can sign 25 guys per year, times five years is 125 players. But you can only have 85 guys on scholarship for any given season, which is a difference of 40. So on average, assuming that you expect all 25 guys you sign to be on campus for at least that first fall ... the other four classes have to contribute an average of 10 guys out of their original 25 who are no longer with the team. Which can be quite a variety of reasons:
- transferred out
- graduated early
- "encouraged" to do either of the two above
- retired/quit football, and so on

It always works out every season.

In addition, transfers do not count against the 25 per year, but they do count against the 85....

How about this as a pulled it out of rear, out of left field guess for a transfer: Demetrius Douglas.

#4 WR this year, and had a heck of a time as a return man on occasion. Looks like he grew up in Oregon (not really a recruiting territory for us), but came here because his dad played for the Gophers?

We have two high 3*/low 4* receivers coming in 2020, in addition to Bateman and CAB coming back, and who knows if JDS or some other transfer comes in.

Another guy (again wild guess) could be Bryce Witham. Has actually been on the team for five seasons, but was granted a sixth year for injury. I think most of the TE reps have gone to Paulson and Kieft, as they are the best blockers.

One last wild guess: Malcom Robinson. Been here three years now and doesn't look like he has contributed much on the field.

It shows how far we have come in only three years under Fleck. From a needed starter in his freshman year to being a transfer two years later. I too thank Nate for his contribution in making our progress happen. All the best, Nate!

How about this as a pulled it out of rear, out of left field guess for a transfer: Demetrius Douglas.

#4 WR this year, and had a heck of a time as a return man on occasion. Looks like he grew up in Oregon (not really a recruiting territory for us), but came here because his dad played for the Gophers?

We have two high 3*/low 4* receivers coming in 2020, in addition to Bateman and CAB coming back, and who knows if JDS or some other transfer comes in.

Another guy (again wild guess) could be Bryce Witham. Has actually been on the team for five seasons, but was granted a sixth year for injury. I think most of the TE reps have gone to Paulson and Kieft, as they are the best blockers.
Douglas is a legacy player and Witham a legend. Neither are going anywhere.

Top Bottom