Minnesota offensive coordinator Mike Sanford has been named as a potential candidate for the Boise State head coaching gig.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Hunter:

Minnesota offensive coordinator Mike Sanford has been named as a potential candidate for the Boise State head coaching gig.

This comes courtesy of ESPN+, which includes his name in this article as Bryan Harsin left the Broncos to go be the head coach at Auburn.

In the article, when Adam Rittenberg mentions Sanford as a candidate, he said:

“He’s a long shot but has direct ties to Boise State as a former quarterback who served as offensive coordinator in 2014. Sanford, 38, hasn’t had a ton of success since leaving Boise, but boasts head-coaching experience at Western Kentucky and another year in the Mountain West at Utah State in 2019.”

Go Gophers!!

If he would go. Then this would be like the Adam Weber era where he had a new Offensive Coordinator every year.

...because Tanner Morgan had a breakout season...

I'm not rushing to judgment on Sanford until he has a full spring ball and full fall camp. In more ways than one, this year was a little f'd up. Hard to work on much of anything new with your offense when you have guys coming and going and don't know who's going to be suiting up this coming weekend.

I'm not rushing to judgment on Sanford until he has a full spring ball and full fall camp. In more ways than one, this year was a little f'd up. Hard to work on much of anything new with your offense when you have guys coming and going and don't know who's going to be suiting up this coming weekend.

I don't know, man. Morgan went from world beater QB who knew where his receivers were at every step and threw the ball before the route had developed under KC, to constantly confused, slow to make decisions, and inaccurate under MS.

He's 20. It's not like he peaked athletically. Something was very wrong with that offense even though it was still pretty potent with Mo.

You never want a revolving door at OC, but last year wasn't pretty.

I would endorse this move. I'm putting my money on Kellen Moore though.

If I were at Boise State, and I was going to go with one of the alums, II would prefer Andy Avalos. Avalos has been a strong recruiter (even at Boise) and he has really cut his teeth in the college game for 15 years.

Kellen Moore is actually brand new to coaching. He is only in his third year of coaching and maybe he is a savant. However, he has never had to worry about recruiting, coaching college kids, balancing scholarships and all of the things that go into essentially being the GM and the Coach of a college program. I get the name recognition for him and he is probably a good choice too but Avalos is a pretty ideal coach if they are going to give a coordinator a shot.

I don't know, man. Morgan went from world beater QB who knew where his receivers were at every step and threw the ball before the route had developed under KC, to constantly confused, slow to make decisions, and inaccurate under MS.

He's 20. It's not like he peaked athletically. Something was very wrong with that offense even though it was still pretty potent with Mo.

Losing the #1 WR in program history, half of the offensive line, Douglas who was clutch in a few games last season, and only having Bateman for part the season might also have something to do with it.

I think it is way too early to give up on Sanford as an OC. He didn't have a traditional off season to work with the O and get ready for the season so there is definitely a chance things will look very different in 2021 when he has had time to get his full system in.

That said, if he does land the Boise HC job I hope Fleck doesn't mess around and just promotes Simon to the OC position.

I think it is way too early to give up on Sanford as an OC. He didn't have a traditional off season to work with the O and get ready for the season so there is definitely a chance things will look very different in 2021 when he has had time to get his full system in.

That said, if he does land the Boise HC job I hope Fleck doesn't mess around and just promotes Simon to the OC position.
Bolded: Please, football gods, please, make this happen.

I'm not sure how comfortable I am with you talking about my coom but is it happening out of happiness for him to move on? Or happiness that Boise is interested? I need to know why I'm cooming.
He was talking about one of your testicles exploding.

It would've had continuity, with even better play calling, if Simon was OC.

We have a golden opportunity to correct that wrong. And without making it look like demotion/firing of any kind.

🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Can't see the article (same as the one reference in the OP), but Rittenberg clearly thinks it's a two horse race between Moore and whomever the second name on the list is.

Sadly, I'm doubting that name is Sanford.

But what I wonder/hope .... is there somehow a way/reason that Sanford could be woo'ed back to Boise, as a coordinator/assistant HC to Moore??

Probably not, even if Boise tries to put football in the AAC+ with BYU, Army, and perhaps Air Force.

Its going to really piss off some gopher fans when he leaves and Fleck hires outside of the current staff again

Simon might not even want an OC job

Let's not forget how much money he managed to cost Jordan Love with his atrocious coordinating at USU. There's a track record to draw from which is why BSU will pay him no mind.

Losing the #1 WR in program history, half of the offensive line, Douglas who was clutch in a few games last season, and only having Bateman for part the season might also have something to do with it.

If it were just one season then I might be more inclined to agree with you:

Tanner Morgan (Minnesota)
2019 (pre-Sanford): 178.7 RTG; 30:7 TD:INT
2020 (Sanford): 128.1 RTG; 7:5 TD:INT

Jordan Love (Utah State)
2018 (pre-Sanford): 158.3 RTG; 32:6 TD: INT
2019 (Sanford): 129.1 RTG; 20:17 TD:INT

Mike White (WKU)
2016 (pre-Sanford): 181.4 RTG; 37:7 TD:INT
2017 (Sanford): 140.8 RTG: 26:8 TD:INT
- Graduated -

2018 WKU Team QB Stats (they used 3 starters):
118.8 RTG; 15:10 TD:INT

He did okay with Kizer at Notre Dame (2014 - 2015) and has put together an awful track record since. I didn't understand this hire, and I think the results spoke for themselves.

Last edited:

Top Bottom