Minnesota now in Andre Hollins' top 5

UC Bearcats had a PG named Steve Logan about 10 years ago. Even shorter (5-10 maybe) than Ahanmisi. He learned how to get his shot off and is the 2nd leading all-time scorer at UC. Oscar Robertson is first. Logan made 1st team A-A too.

Try a few inches not 5-10.

UC Bearcats had a PG named Steve Logan about 10 years ago. Even shorter (5-10 maybe) than Ahanmisi. He learned how to get his shot off and is the 2nd leading all-time scorer at UC. Oscar Robertson is first. Logan made 1st team A-A too.

Your comparisons are pathetic.

To be like you I will just keep reposting the same comments-

Ahanmisi is going to have a hard time getting his shot off... he is short and shoots flat footed. He appeared to be a pretty good dribbler in traffic, I'm hoping he can handle and distribute the rock as a limited back up point guard.

Try a few inches not 5-10.

If i had to guess, i'd say he meant he was 5 feet and 10 inches tall. Not 5-10 inches shorter ... that'd be pretty incredible if her were that much shorter tho.

As for Ahnamasi, if all he is asked to do is dribble, pass, drive and dish, and hit the open 3 pointer that he gets from being doubled off of ... I would hope he would be capable of handling that, if not right away, within a year or two.

Ahanmisi is going to have a hard time getting his shot off... he is short and shoots flat footed. He appeared to be a pretty good dribbler in traffic, I'm hoping he can handle and distribute the rock as a limited back up point guard.

I'm just curious what you mean by that? I've never seen his jump shot, but do you mean he just doesnt jump at all when he shoots? or he jumps with his feet flat? I have just never seen (at least knowlingly) a flat-footed jump shot.

I'm just curious what you mean by that? I've never seen his jump shot, but do you mean he just doesnt jump at all when he shoots? or he jumps with his feet flat? I have just never seen (at least knowlingly) a flat-footed jump shot.

Flat-footed is typically used to define someone who is slower to jump when taking a shot. That is, they plant their feet flatly on the ground as opposed to staying on their toes slightly before going up for a shot. Because of this difference, the flat-footed player has to go back onto his toes to get into the air, while the other player doesn't. It's an actual medical condition, but most people use it in the way I just discussed...at least I'm pretty sure that's what 98 was getting at.

I saw him brick and air-ball several 3's with heals barley off the ground, toes touching the floor (like you see people shoot free-throw's). Not truly flat footed, but pretty close.

Mav's 9 point game was when teammate Lamar Moore (PG) was not there. His 14 point game was verses the June Miller high school team (without Chambers, Coleman, Zierdan and Singleton), both games Mavrick played several minutes at the point. Not just at SG next to Nolen as Friend Of Tubby keeps saying.

To follow up on scher215's comments below; his shot did look smooth, nice release and maybe he can hit an actual jump shot, I certainly never saw one. I'm not trying to rip the kid, he almost has to be a better player then he showed in HP... right?

Flat-footed is typically used to define someone who is slower to jump when taking a shot. That is, they plant their feet flatly on the ground as opposed to staying on their toes slightly before going up for a shot. Because of this difference, the flat-footed player has to go back onto his toes to get into the air, while the other player doesn't. It's an actual medical condition, but most people use it in the way I just discussed...at least I'm pretty sure that's what 98 was getting at.

Got it. So it is more of a longer to develop jump shot, than a form issue. If he doesn't have a medical issue, I'd assume it can be somewhat fixed. Jumpshots are workable barring any natural issues (i.e. Rondo's "big hands"), just need lots and lots of repitition doing it the correct way.

I saw him brick and air-ball several 3's with heals barley off the ground, toes touching the floor (like you see people shoot free-throw's). Not truly flat footed, but pretty close.

Mav's 9 point game was when teammate Lamar Moore (PG) was not there. His 14 point game was verses the June Miller high school team, both games Mavrick played several minutes at the point.

If that is his form, hopefully a coach can fix that (I guess he avoids the problem of tired legs affecting his shot :rolleyes:) Like I said above, he just needs to be taught the right way and do it over and over again until he feels natural doing it.

It is doable, as someone who is in work and school, I just went through a full jump-shot makeover for about the past 9 months and now is finally getting consistant.

I'd assume someone like Maverick, with coaches and teamates available would be able to fix his. But then, some horrible shooters never fix their jump shot, for some reason never known to me. (not saying Maverick is a horrible shooter, but if he's not shooting Reggie Miller numbers, a change to your form can usually be helpful)

I saw Logan do the same kinds of things in 1998 Deveroes games.

Deveroes is a Pulley comparable summer league in Cincy.

Logan LEARNED how to get his shot off. That's what coaches do.

If i had to guess, i'd say he meant he was 5 feet and 10 inches tall. Not 5-10 inches shorter ... that'd be pretty incredible if her were that much shorter tho.

As for Ahnamasi, if all he is asked to do is dribble, pass, drive and dish, and hit the open 3 pointer that he gets from being doubled off of ... I would hope he would be capable of handling that, if not right away, within a year or two.

Steve Logan is 5-10 yes. That's what I meant.

Mav's 9 point game was when teammate Lamar Moore (PG) was not there. His 14 point game was verses the June Miller high school team (without Chambers, Coleman, Zierdan and Singleton), both games Mavrick played several minutes at the point. Not just at SG next to Nolen as Friend Of Tubby keeps saying.

To follow up on scher215's comments below; his shot did look smooth, nice release and maybe he can hit an actual jump shot, I certainly never saw one. I'm not trying to rip the kid, he almost has to be a better player then he showed in HP... right?

Several minutes at PG but MOST minutes at SG next to Nolen.

The fact is Friend of Tubby makes stuff up and has no credibility. As for all his random comparisons of successful players there are hundreds of failures.

Several minutes at PG but MOST minutes at SG next to Nolen.
From those two games... still false.

UC Bearcats had a PG named Steve Logan about 10 years ago. Even shorter (5-10 maybe) than Ahanmisi. He learned how to get his shot off and is the 2nd leading all-time scorer at UC.

Ahanmisi has 3 years of So Calif HS play and 1 year of high level Prep school play. He's been successful at both levels. His credentials extend beyond a single 15 point game.

His 3.5 GPA is another impressive number (that Jacob Thomas lacked). Minnesota got Austin Hollins instead of Thomas. Gophers got the better player of those 2, I think.

First, I'm not providing an opinion on Ahanmisi... rather addressing some of your strange commentary.

- On Steve Logan - What does he have to do with Ahanmisi?? You're inferring Logan needed to learn how to 'get his shot off' coming into Cinci,... Logan was the D1 POY in Ohio as a high school senior. He was a stud. He also was listed anywhere from 5'10" to 6'1".. was a little under 6'.. nothing unusual there.

- Maverick had 4 years of high school play and 1 year of prep. He just didn't play varsity as a freshman in high school. The 'single 15 point game' you keep bringing up never happened - Stoneridge didn't play Findlay in a game. They had a scrimmage, one in which C. Joseph didn't participate.

- You can talk up Gottlieb's report of a 3.5 GPA, but tell me more about him not getting cleared by the NCAA and changing plans from attending Boise State to going to prep school for a year. Tell me about the plan for Mississippi Elite Christian Academy... and that changing to Stoneridge.

I'm just impressed that he has offers from Stanford and Harvard. This kid must have some smarts.

Jacob Thomas is great and all, but whether he scores 1 point or 100 points if his grades don't get him into the U, it is irrelevant.

I have no idea how Maverick will do here, but he put in, not only the basketball work, but the school work to get to the U. I think posters here are way to critical of Maverick, but having said that, I've never seen him play. I just don't believe ANY college prospect is as bad as they make Maverick out to be. Heck, I could go stand out there with Al Nolen and put in a better game than people make it sound like Maverick has. Again, I have no first hand knowledge about him, but I just can't believe he is as bad as people say and will wait til game one to make any assesment.

Believe it. I've hear other Gopher players talk bad about him. But that's beside the point. I was actually making a comparison on two soon-to-be freshman guards and there perfomance in the Pulley League. One (Jacob Thomas) is going to a Mid-Major and consistantly put up 20 a game including a 50 point game. The other is a High-Major player (Maverick Ahamnisi) who consistantly looks overwhelmed and rarely scores in double-figures or makes any type of difference in the Pulley League.

First, I'm not providing an opinion on Ahanmisi... rather addressing some of your strange commentary.

- On Steve Logan - What does he have to do with Ahanmisi?? You're inferring Logan needed to learn how to 'get his shot off' coming into Cinci,... Logan was the D1 POY in Ohio as a high school senior. He was a stud. He also was listed anywhere from 5'10" to 6'1".. was a little under 6'.. nothing unusual there.

- Maverick had 4 years of high school play and 1 year of prep. He just didn't play varsity as a freshman in high school. The 'single 15 point game' you keep bringing up never happened - Stoneridge didn't play Findlay in a game. They had a scrimmage, one in which C. Joseph didn't participate.

- You can talk up Gottlieb's report of a 3.5 GPA, but tell me more about him not getting cleared by the NCAA and changing plans from attending Boise State to going to prep school for a year. Tell me about the plan for Mississippi Elite Christian Academy... and that changing to Stoneridge.

Logan was 5-10. I'm 6-2 and I've stood next to him. He was HS "stud" but struggled with adjustment to college basketball until he learned to get his shot off (better). I saw him in Deveroes AND at UC. I know his UC coaches.

The NCAA clearinghouse issue came down to his Dad being unable or unwilling to pay extra $ to expedite the NCAA decision process.

Stoneridge was a MUCH better choice. They produce lots of Div I players. Which would you rather, So Calif or Mississippi?

Logan was 5-10. I'm 6-2 and I've stood next to him. He was HS "stud" but struggled with adjustment to college basketball until he learned to get his shot off (better). I saw him in Deveroes AND at UC. I know his UC coaches.

The NCAA clearinghouse issue came down to his Dad being unable or unwilling to pay extra $ to expedite the NCAA decision process.

Stoneridge was a MUCH better choice. They produce lots of Div I players. Which would you rather, So Calif or Mississippi?

Logan - What's your point with the height? How does Steve Logan's height have anything to do with Ahanmisi? Logan averaged 9 points in 21 minutes as a freshman and made the C-USA All-Frosh team - it's absurd to include these two in the same conversation. I think* deep down the point you want to make is that a guys shot can improve from the beginning to the end of their collegiate career. That's fine and good - you don't need to provide an 'example' on that claim.

The NCAA clearinghouse issue came down to money not being paid 'to expedite' the process? So, the NCAA says, 'hey guys... we'll get to you .. but, you need to pay up a little something extra if you want to jump to the front of the line'? You're making things up - the question remains - what exactly was the issue with him not being cleared? That's what you need to look into and understand before you start praising the GPA posted on a website.

I didn't ask you to tell me about which school do you think is a better choice - I'm asking why was he going to go to one school, then wound up at another (meaning Miss Elite Christian Academy, then to Stoneridge.. not the Boise State issue).

Logan - What's your point with the height? How does Steve Logan's height have anything to do with Ahanmisi? Logan averaged 9 points in 21 minutes as a freshman and made the C-USA All-Frosh team - it's absurd to include these two in the same conversation. I think* deep down the point you want to make is that a guys shot can improve from the beginning to the end of their collegiate career. That's fine and good - you don't need to provide an 'example' on that claim.

The NCAA clearinghouse issue came down to money not being paid 'to expedite' the process? So, the NCAA says, 'hey guys... we'll get to you .. but, you need to pay up a little something extra if you want to jump to the front of the line'? You're making things up - the question remains - what exactly was the issue with him not being cleared? That's what you need to look into and understand before you start praising the GPA posted on a website.

I didn't ask you to tell me about which school do you think is a better choice - I'm asking why was he going to go to one school, then wound up at another (meaning Miss Elite Christian Academy, then to Stoneridge.. not the Boise State issue).

Logan excelled as SG (junior and senior years) but struggled as PG (frosh and soph years). I think Ahanmisi is SG in PG body (like Logan was). Yes, Logan's ability to get his shot off improved DRAMATICALLY over 4 years at UC.

I'm making nothing up. The clearinghouse issue was in a written article that I read. Google it if you like.

... Ahanmisi did not have academic issues at Golden Valley and committed to Boise State but didn't send his academic information to the NCAA Clearinghouse in time to qualify last season. He said he doesn't know why schools overlooked him in prep school but was glad the Gophers still had a scholarship to offer...

The Gopher LOI signing announcement also mentioned 3.5 GPA (I think).

Yep http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=204944221 it says 3.5 GPA too. I guess your criticism can be redirected to the Gophers, too.

I think Stoneridge over the Mississippi school is an obvious choice.

Logan excelled as SG (junior and senior years) but struggled as PG (frosh and soph years). I think Ahanmisi is SG in PG body (like Logan was). Yes, Logan's ability to get his shot off improved DRAMATICALLY over 4 years at UC.

I'm making nothing up. The clearinghouse issue was in a written article that I read. Google it if you like.

... Ahanmisi did not have academic issues at Golden Valley and committed to Boise State but didn't send his academic information to the NCAA Clearinghouse in time to qualify last season. He said he doesn't know why schools overlooked him in prep school but was glad the Gophers still had a scholarship to offer...

The Gopher LOI signing announcement also mentioned 3.5 GPA (I think).

Yep http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=204944221 it says 3.5 GPA too. I guess your criticism can be redirected to the Gophers, too.

I think Stoneridge over the Mississippi school is an obvious choice.

Hopeless. If I'm ever at a grain facility and a fire breaks out, I may need to hear from you... otherwise...

Hopeless. If I'm ever at a grain facility and a fire breaks out, I may need to hear from you... otherwise...

Well, I saw Logan play all 4 years at UC.

I showed you in the Gopher LOI signing announcement about the 3.5 GPA in HS.

I showed you why he didn't get the NCAA clearinghouse approval.

And (to me) the choice of Stoneridge Prep over a Mississippi school to develop your basketball skills is a no brainer.

Asked and answered.

comparing steve logan to maverick is almost as absurd as david kahn comparing darko and chris webber.

comparing steve logan to maverick is almost as absurd as david kahn comparing darko and chris webber.

I'm not comparing the two to one another.

Logan showed dramatic improvement (8 ppg - 9 ppg - 17 ppg - 22 ppg) over 4 years.

He was a short SG trying to play PG.

Ahanmisi can also show improvement over his Gopher career.

He is also SG trying to play PG.

Ahanmisi has some learning to do. Coaches will help him learn. But he can shoot very well.

You gotta admit, you kind of compared them. Maybe likened them to one another?

You gotta admit, you kind of compared them. Maybe likened them to one another?

Two similarities. First, both are short SG trying to play PG. Second, both needed to improve their ability to get their shot off.

Logan turned out great. He wasn't great coming out of HS. He was promising and he could shoot FT. That's why Huggins offered him.

Top Bottom