Minnesota/Nebraska rivalry game

AhliBobwa

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been absent for awhile, but I had an idea and wanted some input.

The Minnesota/Nebraska game is a historic rivalry, but has never possessed a name or trophy. Now, since the Gophers already have 3 meaningful (and 1 meaningless) rivalry games, I was thinking the Minnesota/Nebraska rivalry should feature a theme instead of a trophy.

For example, the Georgia/Florida game is not played for a trophy, but is widely recognized as 'The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party'.

I think the Minnesota/Nebraska rivalry should henceforth be known as the 'Color of Blood' game.

Thoughts?

Although names and trophies are cool, there really needs to be some historical reason for them to make them meaningful. If every game has a name or trophy then each loses it's significance.

Rivalries are built on emotion. Iowa injury/death threats against Gopher players started Floyd. The Jug is based on Michigan fearing MN would tamper with their water. When MN tied the Michigan national powerhouse Michigan forgot the Jug. When they asked for it back they were told to win it back.

These are what give name games & trophy games their importance.

If someone can find something historical about this series then a name would mean something.

Otherwise, call it the Cereal Bowl (their corn & our mills) and it would be as meaningless as the Bell.

Pengy, Iowa's got nothing on Minnesota for corn. Don't you know that Olivia MN is the corn capital of the world? That's something you can hang your hat on!

olivia-corn-capital.jpg

Nebraska Minnesota links at bottom to get ideas

Don't like the idea of the 'Color of Blood' game.

Some play off the "Great Plains" against the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" -- 'Earth and water' game?

Some play off Nebraska being the 37 state and Minnesota being the 32 state-- '37 32' game?

Maybe a trophy game with a canoe made out of corn husks as the trophy?

A trophy game where one side is a Walleye and the other side is a Channel catfish -- this new fish is called a 'Corn trout' and that is the new trophy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota

I will agree to a new rivalry game if we burn the Governors' Victory Bell. And jump on it. And throw the ashes into the Great Lakes. Twice each.

Don't like the idea of the 'Color of Blood' game.

Some play off the "Great Plains" against the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" -- 'Earth and water' game?Some play off Nebraska being the 37 state and Minnesota being the 32 state-- '37 32' game?

Maybe a trophy game with a canoe made out of corn husks as the trophy?

A trophy game where one side is a Walleye and the other side is a Channel catfish -- this new fish is called a 'Corn trout' and that is the new trophy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota

Call it the Ten Grand Trophy. Have the trophy say "Land of 10,000 Lakes" on one side and "Land of 10,000 Corn-fed Hicks" on the other.

Gee, that picture is bigger than I expected. :| Hmm.

So - corn trout. I love it. When can we start?

Maybe the record loss game ... Minnesota' largest loss was to Nebraska (13 to 84 in 1983) and Nebraska's largest loss was to Minnesota (7 to 61 in 1945)

Maybe the record loss game ... Minnesota' largest loss was to Nebraska (13 to 84 in 1983) and Nebraska's largest loss was to Minnesota (7 to 61 in 1945)

The trophy could be a bra with a D cup on one side and an A cup on the other.

I like the "color of blood" game. And I would imagine Bleed would agree with me.

I think that as soon as we win back the victory bell, we should donate it to the university of nebraska so that nebraska and penn state can play for it annually.

I guarantee you the Nebraska Minnesota game means nothing to Husker fans.

I guarantee you the Nebraska Minnesota game means nothing to Husker fans.

One of the major demands from Nebraska was that they be in the same division as Minnesota, because of the history. Granted we haven't played them much since the years when our program was a cupcake, but that will change and the fans will get on board.

Have to agree with you both on Nebraska's take on getting to play us every year. I know a couple kids of the korn and they already have W's pencilled in. A trophy is a bit premature right now. Let's win one against them and then talk smart. I'm 57 and I don't remember the last time we beat them. Yes, history shows we're up on them overall but I'd like to beat them again, and soon, before we get too excited.

As far as I am concerned, We have two major trophy games and one minor trophy game. Nebraska is just another game.
Beat Becky! Beat Iowa!

Disagree. It means a lot to Nebraska. We have more history with Nebraska than any of the other Big Ten teams. As somebody recently pointed out in a post above, we have played more games against Nebraska than any other nonconference team. I did not check Eric Thrall's website before drafting this, but we probably have played Nebraska more than we have played OSU, MSU, and certainly PSU, all of which are Big Ten (Western) conference expansion teams. Nebraska's link to the Big Ten Conference essentially hinges on her history versus Minnesota. No doubt this is why we are in the same division as Nebraska, absolutely because of this history. I can remember when we were not a threat to Nebraska on 6 October 1973. Memorial Stadium (Minneapolis) was it seemed to me 1/3 red. Well, maybe it was only 1/4 red, but I was so furious that so many of these communists had invaded our stadium. They were all on the southwest side. I was in the student section on the northeast (University Avenue) side. I remember almost getting in a fight with another Minnesota student who lived in the same dorm (Middlebrook Hall) as I because he was from Nebraska, was wearing red, and was absolutely ecstatic that the Cornhuskers had just humiliated us (7-48) in our own house.
Winona Phantom we salute you!
Michigan – 0
Minnesota – 22
24 October 1953
SKI-U-MAH!
http://www.vva.org/testimony/2010/092910.html
http://www.dol.gov/ocia/congressionaltestimony/20090514_OFCCP.htm

Nebraska's link to the Big Ten Conference essentially hinges on her history versus Minnesota.

Not entirely. Nebraska also had a long (and forgotten) series with Indiana, and has had significant historical bad blood with Notre Dame (1920's) and Penn State (80's-90's). Some mild recent history via the bowls with Michigan. There's also the verbal battle with Northwestern over who is the real "NU". ;)

The execs and TV will try to play up Iowa as an artificial "rival", but there is almost no history there except for an instinctive hatred of black-and-gold uniforms in Lincoln.

I would love to see MN-NU play for a trophy, but agree it should first become a meaningful series again. We can hope...

Not entirely. Nebraska also had a long (and forgotten) series with Indiana, and has had significant historical bad blood with Notre Dame (1920's) and Penn State (80's-90's). Some mild recent history via the bowls with Michigan. There's also the verbal battle with Northwestern over who is the real "NU". ;)

The execs and TV will try to play up Iowa as an artificial "rival", but there is almost no history there except for an instinctive hatred of black-and-gold uniforms in Lincoln.

I would love to see MN-NU play for a trophy, but agree it should first become a meaningful series again. We can hope...

I think the trophy should be a case of red wine, in honor of Jarvis Redwine. Former Cornhusker and Viking.

You've got the Juice, we've got the Wine.;)

Top Bottom