Minnesota lands commitment from 2021 DL - Deven Eastern

Thats awesome. But this far out, i always assume they are soft commits.

Thats awesome. But this far out, i always assume they are soft commits.
This kid seems pretty solid as long as we don't process him for any reason. Seems like he wants to play close to his mom so she can get to games easily.

Our "can / can probabbly play basketball too" system is working pretty well ;)

247 profile for people. Has a Nebraska offer
He got the Nebraska offer last Friday, and we offered him Sunday where he committed immediately. I expect he had more offers coming as well if he hadn't committed.

STrib: Gophers add in-state defensive end Deven Eastern of Shakopee to 2021 class

The Gophers just signed the majority of their 2020 class Wednesday, but the focus is already turning to 2021.

Shakopee defensive end Deven Eastern shared his committment on Twitter on Thursday. 247Sports.com does not yet have him ranked, but he is 6-5, 260 pounds and also had an offer from Nebraska.

He is the third commit in the 2021 class alongside brothers Athan Kaliakmanis, a quarterback, and Dino Kaliakmanis, a receiver. Illinois athlete Sam Jackson is also a soft commit in that class.

Go Gophers!!

per Megan:

Deven Eastern sat in P.J. Fleck's office, his mother and his mentor by his side.

"Where have you been in your life up to this point," the Gophers coach asked the 17-year-old, "and what do you need in your life right now?"

The Shakopee defensive end could have given a surface-level answer, anything to preserve a recruiting relationship for the unranked player 12 months before Wednesday's early signing day. Telling the true story, all of its uncomfortable and vulnerable parts, was a risk.

But Eastern opened his mouth, and his heart came spilling out.

"He teared up and started talking to the coach about his life and what means the most to him," said his mentor, Mike Morris. "And it was very, very, very real."

Eastern spoke about his struggle with emotional behavioral disorders, his mom, his devotion to football, his dream to play in the NFL but more important, to be a good man. By the end of his deliverance, everyone was crying.

"He gave me a chance," Eastern said of Fleck. "He knew everything about my past. And he knew I had the potential to grow and become a better person. And that I've been working so hard.

"And he was the first guy to tell me that 'We'll get through it, and I'll help you through this. And we're more than just football here. We're family.'"

Go Gophers!!

Please read the whole story - very moving.

He had two other males who assisted him besides Mike Morris for him to reach his new life and not possibly end up another statistic.

I bet he does amazing things on an off the field for us!!

Is he really Nojel Eastern's 1/2 brother?

Really cool article. Think Willie Howard wants his son to follow in Deven's footsteps?

Is he really Nojel Eastern's 1/2 brother?

Really cool article. Think Willie Howard wants his son to follow in Deven's footsteps?

Yeah. Eastern is one of those freaky athletes, so I'm pumped about this kid.

His frame reminds me a lot of Hageman.

So did we ever figure out who was taller? Eastern or Morris?
The debate ended long before we had a final conclusion.

Great story. Awesome tribute for coming out being upfront about his issues. Most men would not do that at all. I'm sure Fleck will assign him the right living situation that will be positive for him without creating an issue of favoritism. He'll do Gold here.

So did we ever figure out who was taller? Eastern or Morris?
The debate ended long before we had a final conclusion.

I think I still have some data on my hard-drive about this.

Yeah. Eastern is one of those freaky athletes, so I'm pumped about this kid.

His frame reminds me a lot of Hageman.

He is a monster. Big fan of Eastern and what he has done to be here. Not to mention how committed he has been. Never wavered, much like Ortiz.

I'm excited about this guy. The Eastern wind blows cold in TCF.

Fleck says Cameron James makes Eastern look small.

Fleck says Cameron James makes Eastern look small.

I was looking at his highlight reel and he is going to be a huge OL in a few years. He is 280 lbs now and he legit looks like he could add 50 lbs and still be agile and flexible enough for the position. He'll be fun to watch.

Top Bottom