Minnesota Head Coach P.J. Fleck on winning the Big Ten next season: "Why not us?"

BleedGopher

Reaction score

You forgot to mention that we’re behind nebraska.
To be clear the teams behind us forever and ever are Illinois and Northwestern (the latter of whom has actually been one of the best football programs the last few years) It does not matter that Northwestern had some good years they are also eternally horrible like Minnesota

Something bad always happens when expectations are high.

That's Gophers football.

Pick any season.

This season it was the turd they laid vs Illinois.

Exactly. Pretty dumb quote. You are the coach...you tell me...why not us? Nobody is more responsible to answering that question than the head coach.
JHC! That's what you got out of the interview? He's saying that it could certainly be us. It was a set up by a soft ball question tossed by the sports guy, but your reaction is a "Pretty dumb quote." Trust me, it's not the quote that is dumb.

Exactly. Pretty dumb quote. You are the coach...you tell me...why not us? Nobody is more responsible to answering that question than the head coach.
You didn't understand his point.

Mason said this one year, too. Don't remember which, but it must've been 2003.

To be clear the teams behind us forever and ever are Illinois and Northwestern (the latter of whom has actually been one of the best football programs the last few years) It does not matter that Northwestern had some good years they are also eternally horrible like Minnesota
Everyone knows nerds and football don't mix!

nerds-shouts.gif

You didn't understand his point.

Mason said this one year, too. Don't remember which, but it must've been 2003.
I know, I'm dumb. I don't understand.
My point is it's year 6. The comment fits year zero or year one when your team lacks belief or confidence in their ability or yours as a coach to be champions. You are trying to paint a picture, give them a vision that it's time for your team to compete, right now.
If you are just now in year 6 bringing this up, asking your team "why not us?" That's a bit late in the culture for me. I would hope we are well past that.
We have already established we are champions by the accomplishments in the first five years...one week at a time...win the New Mexico St championship. Then worry about the next one. Expect to win the West...not poor boy, woe is me, why not us because we have been down trodden for 50 years. Our culture needs to be past these types of thoughts, crutches, excuses. Know who you are!
We are champions!
That's the psychology message I received...coach doubts us...he's really not sure we are going to win the West. He's asking: Why not us? I already thought we were West champions in 2022. I believe...well, I did before the doubt that we only might win.

I know, I'm dumb. I don't understand.
My point is it's year 6. The comment fits year zero or year one when your team lacks belief or confidence in their ability or yours as a coach to be champions. You are trying to paint a picture, give them a vision that it's time for your team to compete, right now.
If you are just now in year 6 bringing this up, asking your team "why not us?" That's a bit late in the culture for me. I would hope we are well past that.
We have already established we are champions by the accomplishments in the first five years...one week at a time...win the New Mexico St championship. Then worry about the next one. Expect to win the West...not poor boy, woe is me, why not us because we have been down trodden for 50 years. Our culture needs to be past these types of thoughts, crutches, excuses. Know who you are!
We are champions!
That's the psychology message I received...coach doubts us...he's really not sure we are going to win the West. He's asking: Why not us? I already thought we were West champions in 2022. I believe...well, I did before the doubt that we only might win.
But this is what we've come to expect from Fleck. He's media savvy and likes to have his statements talked about... as we are here.

Unless we win the West this year, it looks like we may have plateaued.

Top Bottom