Minnesota Football: 2017 Gophers Preview and Prediction (50th nationally, 5th BTW)

I get what you're saying, but I don't believe people are so blinded that it has to come in Year 1. He's not walking into a Michigan or OSU situation.

IF your scenario happened and they followed it up the next year with an 8 or 9 win season, are people nationally going to say "well, he didn't do it in Year 1 though, so he still talks big but didn't produce fast enough"? I don't think so. If there's struggles, they'll just disappear and won't talk about us (unless you're talking about Internet trolls). There won't be a segment on SportsCenter about why PJ Fleck couldn't be successful in Year 1.

Locally, we are the ones who get caught up in the year-to-year drama of what one season means for the program.

Yes he is, on a relative basis. Expecting 8 wins with what he is walking into is absolutely reasonable. Not asking him to win double digits and be ranked top 10. Get eight wins and maybe bump into the top 25 at season's end is not asking for a lot, given recent history.

Isn't that the definition of a fan?

First, I call total BS that you remember who did/did not agree with burning RS on players from years ago. 100% BS.

Next, why on earth would acknowledging a player played significant reps disqualify one from thinking they should have been red shirted? Seem to go more in line than contradict. Your point bolded above makes zero sense. ZERO.

In summary - your entire post is worthless and nothing more than an attempt to build support in this thread as your main take here has already been exposed (by many posters) as Wrong (with a capital W). Stop digging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point absolutely stands. DHG just agreed with me, so I'm not sure where you get off with me "being exposed." Maybe we should starts with defining "significant reps." I previously granted that all of the freshman DBs played on specials teams. I would view "significant reps" as someone that gets 10-15 reps on offense or defense for at least half the season when the game matters (not garbage time in 4th blowouts). If we use that as a criteria, there is no way anyone other than potentially Vereen qualifies as having played significantly.

I'm making this entire argument because at the time I fully supported Kill's approach of "burning redshirts" and letting guys play on special teams who the staff figured would be in the 2 deeps as sophomores. Many posters went off the deep end and thought we wasted a year of eligibility. IMO even the limited experience these guys got paid dividends for the team as these players were more prepared for live game action as sophomores. Furthermore, despite a number of these players either currently being in the NFL or being on a roster at one point in time (Murray, Thompson, Wells), they still weren't good enough as freshman to see "significant reps."

I hope Handy-Holly and Beck are so good they start at Buffalo and leave for the NFL after their junior seasons. Recent history from other players that we put in the league tells me even if they are good enough to eventually play in the NFL it's unlikely they will contribute in a meaningful way as true freshman.

If we use that as a criteria, there is no way anyone other than potentially Vereen qualifies as having played significantly.

This is simply not true. I don't know what you continue to not get about this.

I'm making this entire argument because at the time I fully supported Kill's approach of "burning redshirts" and letting guys play on special teams who the staff figured would be in the 2 deeps as sophomores. <b>Many posters went off the deep end and thought we wasted a year of eligibility. </b>IMO even the limited experience these guys got paid dividends for the team as these players were more prepared for live game action as sophomores. Furthermore, despite a number of these players either currently being in the NFL or being on a roster at one point in time (Murray, Thompson, Wells), they still weren't good enough as freshman to see "significant reps."

Maybe, but the bolded isn't what you said. You said the same posters now claiming significant playing time complained back then about burning RSs on these same players. We all know you don't recall what posters specifically complained about say Craig James burning his RS so to make that statement in an effort to promote your theory is disingenuous, at best.

FTR - I am for virtually every OL, DL, & QB RSing and would consider it a waste to not do so unless he was the type of rare athlete we don't seem to see at MN. On other positions, as long as it isn't for just a handful of plays I would agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom