Minnesota Daily Writer Wants Badgers in Our Student Section

Beyond the stupidity of his opinion, his writing is an embarrassment to the University. Honestly, that is 9th grade level at best.

GoAUpher,

With 5 minutes of looking, I found the following statement:

While there are different classes of false identification, it is generally illegal to possess, manufacture, or sell any official or fraudulent forms of identification for the purposes of establishing a false identification. In order to establish a false identification one has to present themselves as either a different age or a different person altogether. Every state has some form of penalty for the use and sale of altered or false identification cards, and in some cases, these penalties can be very severe.

I found this at http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/laws-against-fake-ids.html under the heading, "Are Fake IDs Illegal?"

Again, I don't believe the legal end of this should be pursued, but the writer basically admitted in published print that he broke the law. Should he really get to keep his season tickets if he's going to use them for people other than students? Is that fair to the students who didn't get tickets? Also, how should his job at the Daily not be effected in some way when he admitted in print that he broke the law and violated university rules?

MNCH,

Do you have anything of substance to bring to the table, or are you just going to bring up meaningless and irrelevant suggestions for me? Until you do, the ignore method will be my friend. :rolleyes:

GoAUpher,

With 5 minutes of looking, I found the following statement:

While there are different classes of false identification, it is generally illegal to possess, manufacture, or sell any official or fraudulent forms of identification for the purposes of establishing a false identification. In order to establish a false identification one has to present themselves as either a different age or a different person altogether. Every state has some form of penalty for the use and sale of altered or false identification cards, and in some cases, these penalties can be very severe.

I found this at http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/laws-against-fake-ids.html under the heading, "Are Fake IDs Illegal?"

Its now lunchtime so I took a minute to Google the question. Here is what seems to be the pertinent section of MN Law regarding Drivers License use:
171.22 UNLAWFUL ACTS RELATING TO DRIVER'S LICENSE.
Subdivision 1.Violations.

With regard to any driver's license, including a commercial driver's license, it shall be unlawful for any person:

(1) to display, cause or permit to be displayed, or have in possession, any fictitious or fraudulently altered driver's license or Minnesota identification card;

(2) to lend the person's driver's license or Minnesota identification card to any other person or knowingly permit the use thereof by another;

(3) to display or represent as one's own any driver's license or Minnesota identification card not issued to that person;

I guess it depends whether a U Card counts as a Minnesota identification card under MN law (something tells me yes). So I would like my crow boiled. :)

A few of my thoughts:
3. He does raise one good point - what about students that have extra tickets? I think it would be a great idea to have a ticket exchange, or credit the ticket office could give out. You may not know someone in your circle that needs a ticket (chances are, you probably have tickets with most of your friends that are fans), but there are certainly students in the 50K student body that would purchase them. Maybe kids could hand in their tickets by 5pm on Thursday for a credit, and students could purchase them on Friday? Not sure how the logistics would work, but I'd think they could credit their U account, and just keep all the tickets in a pile, sell them until they're gone. Just an idea - it would help keep people out that shouldn't be there, and make sure it's still full every game.

Sounds like you just came up with a great group project idea for a class at Carlson, Nadine.

Gopher Student Ticket Exchange: Students can buy & sell their tickets to football, basketball & hockey games to other students. They get a good lesson on the purest form of the free market, which is sporting event ticket purchasing or selling. Learn a bit about supply & demand in that Wisconsin will gain more money selling & cost more for all 3 sports than Indiana football, Northwestern basketball, or Michigan Tech hockey. Additional $2 fee for each transaction goes to help additional funds.

Either a Carlson project, or I should get hammering on it myself!

Its now lunchtime so I took a minute to Google the question. Here is what seems to be the pertinent section of MN Law regarding Drivers License use:

I guess it depends whether a U Card counts as a Minnesota identification card under MN law (something tells me yes). So I would like my crow boiled. :)

I think that the Minnesota identification card referred-to is a state-issued Minnesota ID card for people who want an ID but don't qualify (or want) a driver's license.

http://www.co.anoka.mn.us/v1_depart...ept-license-bureau/services/state-id-card.asp

Just to make sure my point came across correctly, I'm not demanding the law get involved here. I pointed it out simply because this author of the article had the stones to say in print that he violated the law as well as school rules. I may be a little harsh, but I don't think he should keep his tickets and I do believe he should be punished by the Daily in some manner. I'm not calling for his job, but there should be reprecussions.

No need for crow consumption either. That wasn't my intent. I'm climbing down from my soap box now. There are more important things like Boilermakers we need to worry about.

are you kidding me?

NO wisconsin people should've been let in. Sell the tickets to only gopher fans, make it a state law or something.

this writer is a toolbox in the 9th degree!!

Can we implement this idea before NDSU visits TCF? :clap:

sent story to Maturi

Let the AD's office handle this. Others should do the same. If his office receives a handful of messages, there's no question that they will bring some heat on this kid.

It's pathetic that he felt the need to cheat the system and sneak his badger-loving father into the student section.

It's mind-boggling stupidity that had him write about it and admit it in the University newspaper.

I am not sure that a law was broken, but allowing someone else to use your UCard for benefit is against University policy and is punishable.

As far as ticket exchange program, the ticket office has been pushing hard to get a similar system to that of Penn State. Your tickets are on your UCard. If you cant make a game, you can transfer your "ticket" to another student. UCard would then be swipped. The department that runs the Ucards refuses to work with the Ticket Office so they are stuck with the current way. Dont blame the Ticket Office for not doing enough as they are handcuffed as to what they can do.

interesting. do you know why this is? i am sure many here would love to know why.

putting student tickets on the U-Card and making them transferable only to other U-Cards seems like a great idea and was a smary move by penn state.

Top Bottom