Minnesota Daily Writer Wants Badgers in Our Student Section

cclaufer

Reaction score
The Minnesota Daily continually writes opinion articles whose sheer stupidity boggles my mind. This one talks about how the writer is upset that he needed to find an ID and a student ticket to get his father, a badger fan, into the stadium. He goes on to write that its a shame that we don't open our doors more to opposing fans, leaving them with a sour impression of the University.

This is the kind of student/fan that I despise the most at this University. Take some pride in creating a new tradition of a real home field advantage. We shouldn't be an open door for Badger and Hawkeye fans.

http://www.mndaily.com/2009/10/08/identifying-fix-tcf-bank-stadium

The Minnesota Daily continually writes opinion articles whose sheer stupidity boggles my mind. This one talks about how the writer is upset that he needed to find an ID and a student ticket to get his father, a badger fan, into the stadium. He goes on to write that its a shame that we don't open our doors more to opposing fans, leaving them with a sour impression of the University.

This is the kind of student/fan that I despise the most at this University. Take some pride in creating a new tradition of a real home field advantage. We shouldn't be an open door for Badger and Hawkeye fans.

http://www.mndaily.com/2009/10/08/identifying-fix-tcf-bank-stadium

Reading the article does point-out that there is a major problem with the University's Student ticket policy. The dipstick's father DID get into the student section.:banghead:

Of course he is pissed, he is from WI. Lame. Should I write WI a letter saying they should block off a bunch of tickets in their student section for me and my friends??

He is a jackass. He is griping about the unfair policies involving a non-student, using a student ticket. There's 50,000 students at the U. If a student doesn't want to go, I'm sure another student would use the ticket.

If his father want tickets, try contacting the University of Wisconsin Athletic Department.

I'm glad someone brought this up here. I was rolling my eyes the entire time reading it. It's an atrocity that a 50 year old got into the student section to begin with.

are you kidding me?

NO wisconsin people should've been let in. Sell the tickets to only gopher fans, make it a state law or something.

this writer is a toolbox in the 9th degree!!

They should understand the subject matter before being allowed to write about it. This reflects poorly on the writer and on the MN Daily as a whole. Whoever allowed him to write about college athletics and stadium atmosphere in the first place should be removed from his or her position.

Does he not understand that the University subsidises this commodity (as he describes it) not for student's enjoyment or profit, they subsidise our tickets to create a home field advantage and create a sense of pride.

There are 40,000 other seats for non-students.

What a complete asshat. Your father shouldn't be in the student section to start with - he's not a student. If he wants to go to the game, he should pay for a ticket like the rest of the grown adults did. Furthermore, to waste ink and space in the UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA's paper to complain about how difficult it was for you to cheat the student ticket policy is plain idiotic.

Wow - lakesbison returns and I actually agree with what he's written. I feel... unclean.

Wow...that's one of the stupidest things I've ever read. I'm surprised I was the first person to say as much in the 'comments' section.

I'm glad someone brought this up here. I was rolling my eyes the entire time reading it. It's an atrocity that a 50 year old got into the student section to begin with.

+1

I read it too and had the same reaction

thanks PARKINGLOT! I missed ya at the Air Force game at stub & herbs!

Anyways, whats this guys email/phone # Ill go after him, that way if I get in trouble, I can just say "ahhh im from ndsu"

haha.

Sickening. Father is a UM alumnus but was there to watch his "beloved" Badgers. I hope he has two degrees.

I don't wish to start anything but there is no more entitled and self important group than university students.* He sold the ticket to buy food (and beer). Like he was going to go hungry- or thirsty! He was just a greedy kid who valued $60 more than attending a football game.

*I know there are some that are deperately poor and I have sympathy for them. The majority, however, are "poor" only in their mind. I only wish I was poor enough to eat out all the time, drink 3 times a week and buy subsidized tickets to Big Ten games.

I really don't understand why the U can't enforce a rule saying you must wear yellow to be in the student section.

Yeah, no one ever claimed the Daily isn't a terrible newspaper. The writers, especially the opinion columnists, are hacks.

Dude...they're college kids. Stay classy.
There was nothing classless about that post. A "hack" is a common term for a poor journalist. The writer may be a student, but when you're writing for major university's newspaper, you are open to criticism just like everyone else. centerofmn simply pointed out his opinion on the talent of the writer. I am not in disagreement with him either. There is a reason why only students are supposed to use student tickets. This writer basically came out in the newspaper and admitted he smuggled in a non student with a fake UCard into the student section. His student ticket should be revoked, and his duties at the Daily should be stripped or reduced. He's a "hack" and there is nothing classless about me or centerofmn stating that.

I truly am disgusted by reading this, guess what author, YOUR DAD SHOULDN'T BE IN THE STUDENT SECTION. I really hope this isn't a regular author for the Daily, if so he should be removed from his position for writing such a stupid piece of garbage.

Dude...they're college kids. Stay classy.

I'm a college kid, so what? When I'm working and getting paid the same is expected of me that is expected of anyone else. This is the second terrible opinion column I've read in the paper this week. They deserve to be criticized for writing terrible columns, just like they would be were they writing for any other newspaper.

I'm a college kid, so what? When I'm working and getting paid the same is expected of me that is expected of anyone else. This is the second terrible opinion column I've read in the paper this week. They deserve to be criticized for writing terrible columns, just like they would be were they writing for any other newspaper.
'

Agreed...so let him hear it. There's an email address and comments section there for exactly this reason.

There was nothing classless about that post. A "hack" is a common term for a poor journalist. The writer may be a student, but when you're writing for major university's newspaper, you are open to criticism just like everyone else. centerofmn simply pointed out his opinion on the talent of the writer. I am not in disagreement with him either. There is a reason why only students are supposed to use student tickets. This writer basically came out in the newspaper and admitted he smuggled in a non student with a fake UCard into the student section. His student ticket should be revoked, and his duties at the Daily should be stripped or reduced. He's a "hack" and there is nothing classless about me or centerofmn stating that.
Actually, he commented on the entirety of the paper, not just the article. It's a pretty baseless claim. For the standards that are generally set for college newspapers, the Daily is a damn good paper. I will admit that this piece sucks though, and the kids sounds like a jerk.

Also, yes, it is their job (although I'd love to find out how much opinion columnists actually make, I'm sure it's a ton). Dealing with assholes will likely be a big bulk of their future careers as journalists, but maybe we could at least agree to not make drastic overgeneralizations about the quality of everyone's work because you don't like this (admittedly) self-centered kid. That they are kids working for a largely non-profit paper should matter.

People could lighten up a bit on here sometimes.

This really shouldn't have been allowed into the paper by the editors, controversy is great in opinion columns, but this is stupid, its similar to someone writing that the breathalyzer policy for repeat drunkards is unconstitutional and should be eliminated allowing every puking, fighting, drunk as a skunk college 18 year old freshmen into the student section, "Last time I checked it's still America" would this opinion be allowed into the daily? I doubt it.

Actually, he commented on the entirety of the paper, not just the article. It's a pretty baseless claim. For the standards that are generally set for college newspapers, the Daily is a damn good paper. I will admit that this piece sucks though, and the kids sounds like a jerk.

Also, yes, it is their job (although I'd love to find out how much opinion columnists actually make, I'm sure it's a ton). Dealing with assholes will likely be a big bulk of their future careers as journalists, but maybe we could at least agree to not make drastic overgeneralizations about the quality of everyone's work because you don't like this (admittedly) self-centered kid. That they are kids working for a largely non-profit paper should matter.

People could lighten up a bit on here sometimes.
I'm not going to lighten up when he admits he broke a rule that the U drove home all week long leading up to the game. They got the Star Tribune involved to help spread this message. They want the tickets in the student section used for students. This writer intentionally violated this and wrote about it for all to see. He is a "hack" and should be held accountable. Lighten up? Please?

I just emailed him, I encourage the rest of us to do so....be respectful, but tell this guy how wrong he is.

5 bucks says his next editorial is on how much Gopherhole sucks, and why we can't all get along....

Of course there is issue of a U of M alumni being a fan of his "beloved" Badgers. Alma mater ought to mean something. If you want to be a fan of one school, don't go to that school's rival. It's a question of character. He of course is free to root for whatever team he wishes to, and I am free to criticize.

But the person writing this piece must never have heard of the concept of "licensing agreements", and seems utterly unaware that the policy of student tickets being just for students is pretty much universal.

I can't use a senior citizen's discount (yet). By his reasoning, I should be able to, if I bought a ticket to an event at a senior citizen's rate. Or I should be able to travel using a child's ticket.

He also claims that this makes the U "look bad". It would make the U a laughingstock to allow non-students to use the student section.

'

Agreed...so let him hear it. There's an email address and comments section there for exactly this reason.

EMAIL SENT! What a joke that article is...he should be emabarassed to call himself a U of M Student.

Should they kick him out of school too?? Imprison his father??

Not only should I get senior citizens discounts everywhere I go, I should also be allowed to go into women's locker rooms.

Seriously, this article is embarrassing.

Top Bottom