"Minnesota consistently has a really good player, that is surrounded by a mediocre to below-average roster."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Parker:

12. Minnesota Golden Gophers​

Minnesota consistently has a really good player, that is surrounded by a mediocre to below-average roster. That is true once again this year with stud Jamison Battle. Battle averaged 18 and 6 last year for the Gophers, and will be the starting small forward again this year. In the backcourt, the Gophers bring in Moorehead State point guard Tae'lon Cooper and freshman Braeden Carrington. For the frontcourt, the Gophers bring in talented UNC transfer Dawson Garcia, and have 7 foot sophomore Treyton Thompson at the five spot. Minnesota's bench is almost entirely freshmen, consisting of Pharrel Payne, Joshua Ola-Joseph, Jaden Henley, and Kadyn Betts. To pair with the freshmen, coach Ben Johnson also brought in Dartmouth transfer Taurus Samuels. Minnesota has a few quality pieces, but they simply are not talented enough to win many Big Ten games this season.

Go Gophers!!

That's a weird comment. Payton Willis was not mediocre last year. I'll give him the year before with Marcus Carr. In 19-20 it was Oturu and Carr. The year before was Coffey and Murphy. Year before that was Murphy, Mason and Coffey.

Maybe most years it's been two good players surrounded by mediocre to below-average roster. But that's the case for a lot of teams.

This guy is a poor excuse for a writer and evaluator. Garcia is going to be a stud!

Starting lineup:
Cooper - avg to above avg for what he will be asked to do.
Samuels/Henley/Carrington - biggest question mark on team. How could he possibly know what we have here?
Battle - stud
Garcia - stud
Payne/Thompson - I think Payne is going to start and if he stays out of foul trouble will be a beast. Trenton can do enough to give him a blow.

Bench - well, don’t expect ten guys to see the floor in games any time soon but there is good potential. What do you expect with two major contributors needing surgery again.

per Parker:

12. Minnesota Golden Gophers​

Minnesota consistently has a really good player, that is surrounded by a mediocre to below-average roster. That is true once again this year with stud Jamison Battle. Battle averaged 18 and 6 last year for the Gophers, and will be the starting small forward again this year. In the backcourt, the Gophers bring in Moorehead State point guard Tae'lon Cooper and freshman Braeden Carrington. For the frontcourt, the Gophers bring in talented UNC transfer Dawson Garcia, and have 7 foot sophomore Treyton Thompson at the five spot. Minnesota's bench is almost entirely freshmen, consisting of Pharrel Payne, Joshua Ola-Joseph, Jaden Henley, and Kadyn Betts. To pair with the freshmen, coach Ben Johnson also brought in Dartmouth transfer Taurus Samuels. Minnesota has a few quality pieces, but they simply are not talented enough to win many Big Ten games this season.

Go Gophers!!
Morehead State.

Interesting, this is the first I've seen us not picked 14th. Also, he's speaking as if he "knows" the starting lineup already.

Can’t be true.
When I argued a bad roster was why pifino
Failed I was told it was a great roster he failed to coach up.

Yet the guy who took over for him got 13th and only two guys ever sniffed the nba

If Willis had another year with this front court we could sniff the NCAA's.

This team really has some underwhelming guards. I hope they prove me wrong;. Guards win basketball games, while a bad front court can just lose them.

Random reddit users update: Indiana fan says Minnesota or Penn State will make the Tourney. UNC fan says Minnesota will finish in the top half of the B1G.

Just for context Gophers:
Ken Pom-109
EvanMiya-141
Haslam-95
SI (just ranking not analytics)--84

A lot of metrics don't like us, by many advanced stats we took a lot of terrible shots last year and happened to make them so in theory losing Willis/Stephens/Loewe means we fall back to the mean. Again just observations not saying I agree/disagree but the stats back up the headline of 1-2 good players and everyone else is meh.

Interesting, this is the first I've seen us not picked 14th. Also, he's speaking as if he "knows" the starting lineup already.

These guys spend 20 minutes max reviewing the roster and then write the piece.

He’s probably less interested the farther he goes down the list - naturally.

How many conferences does he cover?

It’s akin to to Smith and Steele - must read as a youth - waste of 7.95 once I got out of HS

Last edited:

This guy is a poor excuse for a writer and evaluator. Garcia is going to be a stud!

Starting lineup:
Samuels/Henley/Carrington - biggest question mark on team. How could he possibly know what we have here?
Battle - stud
Garcia - stud
Payne/Thompson - I think Payne is going to start and if he stays out of foul trouble will be a beast. Trenton can do enough to give him a blow.

Bench - well, don’t expect ten guys to see the floor in games any time soon but there is good potential. What do you expect with two major contributors needing surgery again.
So NCAA or bust then?

Starting lineup:
Battle - stud
Garcia - stud

Potential !!!
Everybody's got it
Very few develop it
That includes Garcia !!!

Just for context Gophers:
Ken Pom-109
EvanMiya-141
Haslam-95
SI (just ranking not analytics)--84

A lot of metrics don't like us, by many advanced stats we took a lot of terrible shots last year and happened to make them so in theory losing Willis/Stephens/Loewe means we fall back to the mean. Again just observations not saying I agree/disagree but the stats back up the headline of 1-2 good players and everyone else is meh.
EvanMiya is pretty wack. Had South Dakota State's Noah Fridel as the top transfer available.... ends up at James Madison.

Speaking of Noah Fridel, he leads JMU with 17 points at halftime as his team is up 61 points on a DIII school.
Just made that comment and went to read the other thread, pretty funny timing. The guy can score at a quick rate for sure, wishing him success. I see former Summit League freshman of the year and Prior Lake grad is listed as injured on James Madison.

Speaking of Noah Freidel, he leads JMU with 17 points (shooting 5-5, 4-4 3PT) at halftime as his team is up 61 points on a DIII school.

Freidel is a very good player, but has other non-basketball related issues and that's why he ended up at JMU and not somewhere better. It's also why he was permanently benched at SDSU.

Starting lineup:
Battle - stud
Garcia - stud

Garcia - Potential Stud

In his 2 years of college ball he hasn't proven a thing. Don't get me wrong I was hoping he was a Gopher out of HS, so yes I do like him but I would not call him a stud quite yet.

Garcia - Potential Stud

In his 2 years of college ball he hasn't proven a thing. Don't get me wrong I was hoping he was a Gopher out of HS, so yes I do like him but I would not call him a stud quite yet.
He had a strong freshman season. Potential stud is a fair comment, but he has proven he can play though.

Top Bottom