Minnesota Closing Argument: It’s Time.

This article was a team analysis. I am very excitd about the xperience we have back all over the field. I will be very nervous everytime Tanner keeps on an RPO with no experience behind him; last year I was screaming for him to run, now he has to be careful. The fact other teams know this is a slight disadvantage for us. That said, I expect our offense to average 30 plus per game. The defense will determine how far we can go this year; I'm nervous about Nebraska/Maryland/Illinois offenses with running QBs. If we can fix that achilles heel, A Bowl in Pasedena is not a far fetched notion!

This article was a team analysis. I am very excitd about the xperience we have back all over the field. I will be very nervous everytime Tanner keeps on an RPO with no experience behind him; last year I was screaming for him to run, now he has to be careful. The fact other teams know this is a slight disadvantage for us. That said, I expect our offense to average 30 plus per game. The defense will determine how far we can go this year; I'm nervous about Nebraska/Maryland/Illinois offenses with running QBs. If we can fix that achilles heel, A Bowl in Pasedena is not a far fetched notion!

Despite appearances, our offense does not call for the QB to run the ball very often. Our RPO plays are for either the running back to take the handoff and run, or for the QB pull the ball back and pass....

Last edited:

A QB virtually never has a planned run in an RPO offense (you're thinking of a read option), so you should be happy.

The first two games will tell us a lot. 2-0, we will be a contender; 1-1, it will be a struggle; 0-2, we will have a losing season. The schedule is actually very tough: Maryland, Nebraska and Illinois, though having losing seasons, blew us out last year. They will all be better this year. Fresno State lost only two games, one to us in a miracle play near the end of the game. Wisconsin, Penn State and Iowa are what they are - really tough most years; ditto Northwestern. Purdue has a great coaching staff and some good young talent. The Gophers are an obvious favorite in only two games, Georgia Southern and Rutgers. Anything could happen this year, from best to worst.

Common Man joined the “QB is the big question mark” bandwagon today, but Rosen came on later and talked about how well he played last season, and that he can “make plays.” Like a lot of these people, I don’t think Common follows the team very closely. He probably just reads or hears someone else’s opinion and runs with it. He also talked about being told repeatedly over the years that the team was ready to take the next step, but it never materializes. A segment like that one isn’t going to get listeners excited about the team. They only way to change attitudes in this town is to win the Big West, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Common Man joined the “QB is the big question mark” bandwagon today, but Rosen came on later and talked about how well he played last season, and that he can “make plays.” Like a lot of these people, I don’t think Common follows the team very closely. He probably just reads or hears someone else’s opinion and runs with it. He also talked about being told repeatedly over the years that the team was ready to take the next step, but it never materializes. A segment like that one isn’t going to get listeners excited about the team. They only way to change attitudes in this town is to win the Big West, IMO.

One correction - Common doesn't follow the team at all.

Top Bottom