Minnesota Class of 2012 Recruiting Update

Thanks for the clarification Vames. I stand corrected. I appreciate your investigation rather than just refuting something without any proof.

Most of the time (not always), players who play sports for the service academies only do so because they have no other decent options.

So the Service Academies are not decent options? Wow!

dpodoll68 doesn't understand that there are athletes that value other things more than athletics.

(This is my first post - please be gentle.)

What advantages does a "preferred walk-on" enjoy over a player who is "just" a walk-on? Better access to team facilities? More reps in practice? Please enlighten me.

Prefered walk-ons start camp with everyone else they are on the 105 player roster. A regular walk-on has to wait until classes start.

There, maybe you'll see it now.

I saw it! Any Student/athlete that is offered to attend a Service Academy has plenty of OTHER options! They do not just pass out nominations like candy! Thankfully for the rest of us there are those who are called to serve.

(This is my first post - please be gentle.)

What advantages does a "preferred walk-on" enjoy over a player who is "just" a walk-on? Better access to team facilities? More reps in practice? Please enlighten me.

Prefered walk-ons start camp with everyone else they are on the 105 player roster. A regular walk-on has to wait until classes start.

A pretty good, short explaination of the difference:

what-is-the-difference-between-a-walk-on-and-a-preferred-walk-on

Any Student/athlete that is offered to attend a Service Academy has plenty of OTHER options!

Who said they didn't?

They do not just pass out nominations like candy!

Who said they do?

Thankfully for the rest of us there are those who are called to serve.

Yes, absolutely. In the general student populations at the service academies, there are many fine students who could've gone virtually anywhere (including the Ivies) for their education. Among the scholarship athletes, for a multitude of reasons, you will find very few (if any) students who had scholarship offers from BCS schools.

I saw it! Any Student/athlete that is offered to attend a Service Academy has plenty of OTHER options! They do not just pass out nominations like candy! Thankfully for the rest of us there are those who are called to serve.

I think you're looking too much into his comments. I believe he was making his comments solely based on the football side of things.

Yes, absolutely. In the general student populations at the service academies, there are many fine students who could've gone virtually anywhere (including the Ivies) for their education. Among the scholarship athletes, for a multitude of reasons, you will find very few (if any) students who had scholarship offers from BCS schools.
Actually you would find very few football players at non AQ schools that have BCS offers. A majority of the athletes at the service academies have other non AQ offers. Here's Air Forces commitment list if you want to check http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/football/recruiting/commitments/2012/airforce-87. I would say that by signing day there will be a couple of recruits with BCS offers that choose an academy. During the Army Navy game the announcers mentioned a Navy player whose brother was at Va Tech who chose Navy to do something different.

Actually you would find very few football players at non AQ schools that have BCS offers.

That depends on what your definition of "very few" is. You will find many commits to schools like TCU, UCF, Houston, Boise St., etc. who have BCS offers.

A majority of the athletes at the service academies have other non AQ offers.

Not true, especially not at Army. Most of the football players have no other listed offers, some have a handful of DI-AA offers, a few have non-AQ offers, and very few have BCS offers.

During the Army Navy game the announcers mentioned a Navy player whose brother was at Va Tech who chose Navy to do something different.

They referenced his brother, but did they mention whether he himself had a Va Tech offer? "Decided to do something different" is a nice way of couching something and saying "I had no better options". Frank Stallone didn't decide to not be a movie star because he wanted to "do something different", he didn't become one because he's not nearly as good of an actor as his brother.

They referenced his brother, but did they mention whether he himself had a Va Tech offer? "Decided to do something different" is a nice way of couching something and saying "I had no better options". Frank Stallone didn't decide to not be a movie star because he wanted to "do something different", he didn't become one because he's not nearly as good of an actor as his brother.
I will not sit idly by while you besmirch the good name of Frank Stallone.

198741.jpg

Top Bottom