Minnesota’s experienced personnel on offense is the primary reason why I believe Ohio State’s opener will be its most dangerous game.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Land Grant Holy Land:

The OSU defense was a problem in 2020… then they went and lost about 50 years of starting experience. The defensive line is an obvious strength, but every other position group has question marks. Each and every linebacker will be playing a pivotal role for the first time in their career(s). There will be fewer of them on the field, as the coaching staff plans to deploy the “Bullet” position. The secondary, which was borderline awful last season, will be replacing Shaun Wade and trying to figure out its rotation. I could go on and on, but the strengths of Minnesota need to be brought up. You get it: The Ohio State defense has real question marks, and the Golden Gophers have experienced personnel they will use to try and exploit perceived weaknesses.

While the Buckeyes have a clear talent advantage, their experience level is nowhere near that of the Golden Gophers. Minnesota’s experienced personnel on offense is the primary reason why I believe Ohio State’s opener will be its most dangerous game. Minnesota’s projected starting offense currently has nine redshirt seniors in the lineup… nine! A few of their top offensive linemen are even back for a sixth year, after taking advantage of the additional time provided as a result of the pandemic. Tanner Morgan is a former All-Big Ten QB, and Mohamed Ibrahim was an absolute stud last year, on his way Third-Team All-American recognition. If Morgan can return to his 2019 form, Minnesota may have an argument for the best QB/RB duo in the conference. The team’s best players are on offense, they bring a ton of experience to the field, and they will be going up against a very inexperienced unit on the other side.

I would not be surprised if the September 2nd opener turns into a shootout. In a shootout, especially one with inexperienced players, anything is possible. Add in the location and timing of the game, and I think there should be at least a low level of concern for this game. The Buckeyes play Oregon in Week 2, and while not the team of a few years ago, they are no pushover. Penn State is looking to rebound, and on paper, they have the second-most talented roster in the Big Ten. Indiana gave Ohio State a scare last year, and there is always the late-November walkthrough which occasionally turns competitive. As the season progresses, the Buckeyes will settle in, adapt, and improve. The sky is the limit for this team… which is why Minnesota catching them early, at home, with all of their experience, could make for a very intriguing game. Dangerous? Maybe a little bit. At the very least, it will likely be Ohio State’s most challenging and unique week (eh, few days) of preparation.

Go Gophers!!

Not a dink.

Gophers upset Ohio State. Ohio State starts 0-2. Apparently I should charge 24/7 writers a subscription to read my amateur forum prognostications

“most dangerous game” “low level of concern” This guy is a genius. He ends with "Dangerous? Maybe a little bit."

Last edited:

Top Bottom