Mike Sanford Fired

He also called a lot of NFL type of defenses that only even make sense in theory if you have NFL caliber players. Sanford did a bit of this with his route trees too.
too many times, IMO, we only had 2 WR's running routes and/or no hot route for when pressure game

Morgan got grief for few sacks when there was no one open, too many slow developing plays with no quick outlet

Kind of surprised by this. Most everyone seems high on Simon, any particular reasons? I honestly have 0 info about him (I don't follow asst coaches much). Just the Auburn game? Not saying good or bad, just interesting that many want him promoted. I always find it a bit weird when a guy gets fired and his assistant moves up.

Overall I cant say I hate it, our rushing attack was pretty salty but that passing game needs work.
I think it's pretty clear he was the OC for the last 3 games which looked markedly better.

Kind of surprised by this. Most everyone seems high on Simon, any particular reasons? I honestly have 0 info about him (I don't follow asst coaches much). Just the Auburn game? Not saying good or bad, just interesting that many want him promoted. I always find it a bit weird when a guy gets fired and his assistant moves up.

Overall I cant say I hate it, our rushing attack was pretty salty but that passing game needs work.
He's been a pretty successful WR coach going back to Western Michigan

can't remember where I heard this, but someone was speculating that this was part of a quid pro quo with Morgan coming back.

i.e. - Fleck saying to Morgan, "if you come back, I'll get rid of Sanford." Of course, it could be the other way, with Morgan saying "I won't come back if Sanford is the OC," but that seems out of character for Morgan.

but I don't think it's a huge stretch to believe that the two are connected.

Simon seems to be the mind behind creativity on offense. Fleck has just seemed to be hooked on his OC being the QB coach.

Overall I cant say I hate it, our rushing attack was pretty salty but that passing game needs work

too many times, IMO, we only had 2 WR's running routes and/or no hot route for when pressure game

Morgan got grief for few sacks when there was no one open, too many slow developing plays with no quick outlet
Yep, it freaked me out when we replaced the slant with the deep in. You just added a wrinkle to an offense that requires a bigger arm.

If you're a run dominant team, you should be running a ton of slants and fades. They are easy reads and keep everyone honest. We ran significantly fewer in 2021 than in 2019.

I think we just have a better chance with Simon.
I personally don’t really have a good read on him as OC.

can't remember where I heard this, but someone was speculating that this was part of a quid pro quo with Morgan coming back.

i.e. - Fleck saying to Morgan, "if you come back, I'll get rid of Sanford." Of course, it could be the other way, with Morgan saying "I won't come back if Sanford is the OC," but that seems out of character for Morgan.

That could be, but it would be kind of like letting the inmates run the asylum. You see that in the pros, but I can't remember it ever happening at the college level.

You are blaming Simon for the Iowa loss?

Play calling wasn't the problem against Iowa. Defense made some big mistakes during that game. And Morgan played a bad game too. Missed open receivers. One specific third down early in the third quarter when CAB was WIDE OPEN in the second half....leading to a punt and a subsequent long TD for the Hawks. Very well could have put us up a couple of possessions.

That could be, but it would be kind of like letting the inmates run the asylum. You see that in the pros, but I can't remember it ever happening at the college level.
We've discussed it recently. It's how Guety replaced Holtz, and it was a disasterous move.

Either bring back Kirk or promote Simon/Patterson.
Patterson is very creative, I think. His team, albeit lower level, was an offensive production demon. We might look outside, but I think a Simon + Patterson combo would move bring us a very good offense. And both have several years experience now dealing with B1G defenses.

I've already submitted my resume

I've had some of highest scoring offenses on old EA sports NCAA football

I mostly ran the pistol offense, but I could adapt
Those old EA NCAA football games are still too new fangled for our offense. My 1990 Tecmo Bowl skills are perfect though. :cool:

Klint Kubiak will likely be available. He's been working on getting plays in faster and everything...

Remember....Morgan went 5/13 against Bowling Green earlier this year. Five of those passes came in the fourth quarter when we were down. A couple of which were prayers.

A teenage Madden player could have called a better offensive game. Sanford single handedly lost us a game in which we were favored by over 30 because our game plan revolved around running directly into a blitz every play.

It will be interesting as who the new OC is. No doubt that Fleck has been wrestling this move for some time. While doing that, he's thinking, "who would I hire to replace him?" I would think the incoming recruits want to know who the new OC is. In addition, when talking to recruits, he needs to explain the direction of the offense. I have a hunch will know more very soon.

Patterson is very creative, I think. His team, albeit lower level, was an offensive production demon. We might look outside, but I think a Simon + Patterson combo would move bring us a very good offense. And both have several years experience now dealing with B1G defenses.
I think Fleck is way too conservative for a Patterson style and paced offense. His teams put up insane numbers.

So we started recruiting more dual-threath QBs under Sanford.

If Simon is the new OC, do we go back to Cioracco Pro style QBs (Tanner/Clark/Zac types)

So we started recruiting more dual-threath QBs under Sanford.

If Simon is the new OC, do we go back to Cioracco Pro style QBs (Tanner/Clark/Zac types)
Not based on who we've recruited. A good coach adapts his system to his talent. A bad coach does the opposite (see Brewster, Tim).

What about if Morgan said something like "I'll come back, but I don't want to learn a new offensive system"?

Top Bottom