Mike Max: ‘Auburn’s Speed Might Be A Little Bit Much’; biggest problem "self doubt about do we belong with the big boys"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per WCCO:

The 2019 season has been a dream for Gophers fans. The team started out 9-0, welcomed College GameDay to town for the first time and beat Penn State for the first time since 2013.

But, the shine came off a little bit down the stretch with a tough loss against Iowa and a blowout loss to Wisconsin in the battle for Paul Bunyan’s Axe. Still, P.J. Fleck’s group delivered the first 10-win season since 2003 and could possibly win 11 games for the first time since 1904. In order to do so, they would need to beat the Auburn Tigers when the teams meet in the Outback Bowl to kick off 2020.

In looking at the matchup, WCCO sports anchor Mike Max says that the Gophers health is a key factor.

“The Gophers come in pretty healthy. They didn’t have a lot of injuries during the year. So it’s not like they are worried about who is going to play, all those types of things. They are a healthy team and that matters a lot,” said Max.

But, Max, like many others this season, has questions about whether or not Fleck’s team is of the same quality as a team like Gus Malzahn’s Auburn Tigers.

“I think the biggest problem the Gophers might have going into this is the little bit of self doubt about do we belong with the big boys,” said Max.

Overall, Max thinks that Auburn’s talent will eventually overwhelm the Gophers, handing Fleck’s team its third loss of the season.

“Auburn’s speed might be a little bit much. I think it will be high-scoring because most college football games are. Not a lot of defenses that offenses can’t solve these days,” said Max. “I think it will be high-scoring, Minnesota will be able to match them (Auburn) for awhile and Minnesota will be able to control the ball up front because their offensive line is pretty good. But, in the end, you have to like Auburn to score about 40 and Minnesota to score about 28 points.”

Go Gophers!!

Seems like a lot of the time when the Gophers play a good non conference opponent we forget teams like Ohio St, Penn St, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa regularly show up on the schedule and have for over a century.
Well, Ohio State may have about as much talent as Auburn but not the other teams you mentioned, particularly Wisconsin. Auburn's recruiting classes are regularly ranked in the top 5 nationally, not quite as laden with 5 starers as Clemson or Alabama, but pretty close.

I think Max's prediction is not bad. I think defensively they will be the fastest team the Gophers have faced this year. Offensively, I think that we will overcome that. I don't know if our defense is fast enough and that might be the issue Max is eluding too. You can offset that with dominant line play and pass rush. Can Carter and crew do that? Guess we will see. On another note, how many of you think Mike Max has watched this year? He seems like a very casual fan and his takes are usually not good, sometimes even head scratchers.

per WCCO:

The 2019 season has been a dream for Gophers fans. The team started out 9-0, welcomed College GameDay to town for the first time and beat Penn State for the first time since 2013.

But, the shine came off a little bit down the stretch with a tough loss against Iowa and a blowout loss to Wisconsin in the battle for Paul Bunyan’s Axe. Still, P.J. Fleck’s group delivered the first 10-win season since 2003 and could possibly win 11 games for the first time since 1904. In order to do so, they would need to beat the Auburn Tigers when the teams meet in the Outback Bowl to kick off 2020.

In looking at the matchup, WCCO sports anchor Mike Max says that the Gophers health is a key factor.

“The Gophers come in pretty healthy. They didn’t have a lot of injuries during the year. So it’s not like they are worried about who is going to play, all those types of things. They are a healthy team and that matters a lot,” said Max.

But, Max, like many others this season, has questions about whether or not Fleck’s team is of the same quality as a team like Gus Malzahn’s Auburn Tigers.

“I think the biggest problem the Gophers might have going into this is the little bit of self doubt about do we belong with the big boys,” said Max.

Overall, Max thinks that Auburn’s talent will eventually overwhelm the Gophers, handing Fleck’s team its third loss of the season.

“Auburn’s speed might be a little bit much. I think it will be high-scoring because most college football games are. Not a lot of defenses that offenses can’t solve these days,” said Max. “I think it will be high-scoring, Minnesota will be able to match them (Auburn) for awhile and Minnesota will be able to control the ball up front because their offensive line is pretty good. But, in the end, you have to like Auburn to score about 40 and Minnesota to score about 28 points.”

Go Gophers!!
Mike punk is a total putz

The media in Minnesota are a bunch of clowns
The media? lol I'm still not sure why ya'll think this game won't be over before halftime when outside Poo U.., ya'll did nothing. It's not like you went toe to toe all season long with the LSU's, the Alabama's, the Florida's or the Georgia's of the world. Rutger's probably hardened ya'll though! :ROFLMAO::coffee:

The media? lol I'm still not sure why ya'll think this game won't be over before halftime when outside Poo U.., ya'll did nothing. It's not like you went toe to toe all season long with the LSU's, the Alabama's, the Florida's or the Georgia's of the world. Rutger's probably hardened ya'll though! :ROFLMAO::coffee:
Gotta love it when some clown comes to your website to troll you the week of a bowl. game. Play the game and lets check back Wed. night.

Hmmmm... I wonder if Mike might be projecting here...

"Psychological projection is a defence mechanism in which the human ego defends itself against unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.[1]"

Considering Auburn lost to three of the 4 teams you mentioned, I'm not sure what your point is.

Tell us: were the Tigers "hardened" (ahem!) in their big win against Arkansas?

Gotta love it when some clown comes to your website to troll you the week of a bowl. game. Play the game and lets check back Wed. night.
Troll? I posted nothing but facts. You thinking I was "trolling" speaks to how defensive you are over your tiny little season, but it's not tiny, your media is just f'ed up! lol

At least the Penn State trolls talked a little about the players and why they thought their team was better. In other words, it was an adult conversation (even though they were proven wrong). This one brings nothing to the table.

No tougher than you finally getting out of mom's basement to buy a new hot plate.

Mods, let's break a record and ban this guy right now, including his IP. Dog molesters should not be on this site.

No tougher than you finally getting out of mom's basement to buy a new hot plate.

Mods, let's break a record and ban this guy right now, including his IP. Dog molesters should not be on this site.
Are ya'll addressing me or your local media with this yankee hospitality? :ROFLMAO: Sure wish we were playing your neighbors to the east or south...they seem human compared to you snivelers!

Some of you are just too easy. :rolleyes:

TBF, this is the general SEC fan attitude in my experience. Why bother to show up? Every out of conference loss a fluke, gadget plays, or result of demotivation. Never mind Georgia...may be the most overrated top 5 team in history - struggled with a mediocre Notre Dame at home, lost to USC, struggled with several others - they and Florida have some issues.

Auburn is talented, above average in many respects but certainly beatable. I’m looking for an inspired effort from the boys next week. Anything can happen. Gotta love the dumb smack talk from SEC fans - soak it up.

TBF, this is the general SEC fan attitude in my experience. Why bother to show up? Every out of conference loss a fluke, gadget plays, or result of demotivation. Never mind Georgia...may be the most overrated top 5 team in history - struggled with a mediocre Notre Dame at home, lost to USC, struggled with several others - they and Florida have some issues.

Auburn is talented, above average in many respects but certainly beatable. I’m looking for an inspired effort from the boys next week. Anything can happen. Gotta love the dumb smack talk from SEC fans - soak it up.
Not by ya'll! You will end your season getting stomped in 3 of your last 4 games...helluva way to launch into 2020! No wonder yall's staff is disintegrating...they want no part of what's coming on Wednesday!

You need to see mike max at target field trying to keep up to GM after a game. Hilarious.

Steveable, I get it, you love your Auburn squad as you should if that's your team. But seriously, class it up a little bit...you sound like a Wisconsin fan who come to constantly gloat. (Although this year we had some surprisingly classy fans come to the board). You are right we only beat PSU. You are right Auburn has much higher recuiting classes and more talent on paper. Your only flaw potentially is that you assume that the BiG is inferior to the SEC. We really don't know that yet, let's see what the teams do in the bowl games. I personally think the conferences are comparable, but let's see some games! Also, if you want to have intelligent conversations regarding the strengths and weaknesses of your team and vice versa I think most fans here enjoy that and would love to discuss. So tell me about the defense...speedy as advertised? Big DTs are as dynamic as they say? Tell me about your team.

ya'll and bawl...your Alabama system education I presume.

Max is indeed a dink, but he is not wrong about his assessment. Doesn't mean we can't win, but we will need to play our best football of 2019.

Top Bottom