Mike Edwards

tjgesquire

Team Ginger
Reaction score
verballed to Tennessee yesterday.
Another casualty of Big Ten admission standards? (i.e. Anthony Leon (Arkansas), Taikwon Paige (Auburn or UAB), Craig Drummond (Ole Miss))

Well he was turned down early by OSU, UW in the summer and Ill only flirted with him. He was just going down the line hoping someone would offer him.

What are some of the majors at SEC schools? I know Auburn offers spot-welding. LOL.

I am hopeful that someday the admissions will be equal for all ncaa schools. Too bad is its not aas of today.

I am hopeful that someday the admissions will be equal for all ncaa schools. Too bad is its not aas of today.

I just don't see the academic elite schools like Stanford, Northwestern, etc.. lowering their standards for athletics and in truth do not believe they should. These schools identities are not tied to their athletics but rather their quality of education and opportunities that exist from this which is a choice that every university has the option and free will to make.

Stanford finds a way to get the academically marginal in if they truly want to. There is no wholesale bending of the rules or lowering of standards, but if they truly want someone who is on the cusp, they find a way. Duke is the same way.

I put Northwestern pretty much in a class by itself when it comes to academic integrity.

I just don't see the academic elite schools like Stanford, Northwestern, etc.. lowering their standards for athletics and in truth do not believe they should. These schools identities are not tied to their athletics but rather their quality of education and opportunities that exist from this which is a choice that every university has the option and free will to make.

All true.

Buts lets not get too upset or be surprised when recruits are not allowed into the U, and our athletes are not quite as fast or athletic as those in some other conferences.

All true.

Buts lets not get too upset or be surprised when recruits are not allowed into the U, and our athletes are not quite as fast or athletic as those in some other conferences.

Let's not kid ourselves however and use admissions as a excuse if we don't get good recruits. The U is a good school but the admission requirements aren't exactly harvard. Plus, Notre Dame puts together a top 5 class nearly every year and their admissions are a lot more stringent that the U's, as are Stanford's which is putting together a very good class this year.

If we only had that sports management program that they have at Michigan. You know, the one Sid keeps talking about. LOL.

Notre Dame?

If Rudy could get into college I am sure the Fighting Irish could get anyone into school they really wanted. I would rather Edwards go to Tennessee than see him commit to being a Gopher just to be told by admissions that he is not able to play. It would just give a black eye that is not needed to Brewster and his staff.

Let's not kid ourselves however and use admissions as a excuse if we don't get good recruits. The U is a good school but the admission requirements aren't exactly harvard. Plus, Notre Dame puts together a top 5 class nearly every year and their admissions are a lot more stringent that the U's, as are Stanford's which is putting together a very good class this year.

Notre Dame and to a lesser degree Stanford, get first shot at any students that go through the Catholic school system. Many Catholic school students dream of going to Notre Dame since early childhood. Others hear that pounded into them as they go through the system.

I point that out because recruits from that pool are more likely to qualify academically than at many public schools due to more personal attention, etc., etc....

Notre Dame and to a lesser degree Stanford, get first shot at any students that go through the Catholic school system. Many Catholic school students dream of going to Notre Dame since early childhood. Others hear that pounded into them as they go through the system.

I point that out because recruits from that pool are more likely to qualify academically than at many public schools due to more personal attention, etc., etc....

Either way these schools find a way to get good recruiting classes regardless of their admission requirements, which is why I stated that the University of Minnesota cannot use that as an excuse as we have significantly lower requirements than either of these schools. Notre Dame definitely has more than its fair share of kids who are not Catholic as well.

Northwestern integrity???

Stanford finds a way to get the academically marginal in if they truly want to. There is no wholesale bending of the rules or lowering of standards, but if they truly want someone who is on the cusp, they find a way. Duke is the same way.

I put Northwestern pretty much in a class by itself when it comes to academic integrity.

Sorry, but you're a nutjob and probably a Northwestern grad if you think their academic integrity is any better than Duke OR Stanford. How did they get to the Rose Bowl while the Gophers have languished for nearly 50 years?

It is called cherry picking and you have to be a cherry picker university to have a shot at the best cherries. We are not, therefore, we have a Catch -22 of recruiting marginal students and/or marginal college football talent.

There are some solutions but they are all a tad difficult or iffy.

For example, hire Tubby Smith in BB, get more cherries.

Cheat is favored by some (not me). Unlike some schools, the U is publicly against that option.

Develop a superior fan base. (Iowa.)

And many other combinations of facilities, weather, location, scenery, coaches, reputation, media support, pro sports competitions, etc., etc., etc. In any case, we have yet to put together such a combination here such that we can win a BT title since 1967.

Sorry, but you're a nutjob and probably a Northwestern grad if you think their academic integrity is any better than Duke OR Stanford. How did they get to the Rose Bowl while the Gophers have languished for nearly 50 years?

\
Luck, injuries, location, reputation, magic coaching moment, luck, odds, and don't forget brains.

Brains are considered very un cool these last twenty years, but you can flat out watch NU win a game from time to time because they are overall smarter than say, we are.

And luck. No matter how many times you flip a coin in the air the odds of "heads" being the outcome is always EXACTLY 50%. Never changes. Sorry. But that does not mean it can not go heads 11 times in a row.

50PoundHead, please Stanford and Duke do not bend the rules to get the players in to the best of my knowledge but please show me some proof if you know different. I guess that would explain why Duke has been terrible in football for so long because they bent the rules to get in dumb and untalented players. These schools are not going to degrade the value of their name and the prestige that comes with a degree from their schools to get a unintelligent player on the team.

Northwestern integrity???

:rolleyes:
50PoundHead, please Stanford and Duke do not bend the rules to get the players in to the best of my knowledge but please show me some proof if you know different. I guess that would explain why Duke has been terrible in football for so long because they bent the rules to get in dumb and untalented players. These schools are not going to degrade the value of their name and the prestige that comes with a degree from their schools to get a unintelligent player on the team.

Thanks, GG - you said it better than I.

Are you serious?

Notre Dame will put together a top 25 class every year because they are Notre Dame. Same with Texas, Alabama, Tennesse.

Also, when you are a private institution, you can let anyone into school that you'd like, as long as minimum NCAA requirements are met. If you want to compare, do it with public universities.

It's pretty obvious that admissions are a problem when 3 different prospects we wanted couldn't get in, but will be playing in the fall for SEC teams. (5 if you include McGee and Hill from last season who qualified elsewhere)

Notre Dame will put together a top 25 class every year because they are Notre Dame. Same with Texas, Alabama, Tennesse.

Also, when you are a private institution, you can let anyone into school that you'd like, as long as minimum NCAA requirements are met. If you want to compare, do it with public universities.

It's pretty obvious that admissions are a problem when 3 different prospects we wanted couldn't get in, but will be playing in the fall for SEC teams. (5 if you include McGee and Hill from last season who qualified elsewhere)

Notre Dame is a private institution and could let in anyone they wanted but they do not lower their standards to do this as has been documented in numerous publications over the years. They are still able to put together these top classes as did Stanford this year and still maintain their high academic standards which is why I stated that if they can put together top level classes with the added requirements that we cannot use that as an excuse. I love the U and went here but you need to be realistic, the U is not Harvard, Northwestern, or even Michigan for that matter as far as admission requirements go.

It is called cherry picking and you have to be a cherry picker university to have a shot at the best cherries. We are not, therefore, we have a Catch -22 of recruiting marginal students and/or marginal college football talent.

There are some solutions but they are all a tad difficult or iffy.

For example, hire Tubby Smith in BB, get more cherries.

Cheat is favored by some (not me). Unlike some schools, the U is publicly against that option.

Develop a superior fan base. (Iowa.)

And many other combinations of facilities, weather, location, scenery, coaches, reputation, media support, pro sports competitions, etc., etc., etc. In any case, we have yet to put together such a combination here such that we can win a BT title since 1967.

Loon,

Do you really think that Iowa is capable of cherry picking athletes due to their superior fan base? I won't be one to rip their recruiting until we beat them but I struggle to find a single player from outside of Iowa that could be considered a cherry in this year's class. What they have generally done well is find players that fit Ferentz system and he has done an excellent job of developing them.

In fact, it looks like Iowa has been cherry picked by MSU. This lineman (6.0 RR All-American) who lives in Des Moines decided to go to Michigan State.

Not to start this argument again, but I think this shows you don't have to get every guy in your state to be considered successful. A lot of guys want to experience life in a different place - a new situation. Now, I certainly would not have chosen East Lansing to be that place, but...oh well. When we lose guys like McNeal, Floyd and Mobley - it isn't the end of the world. It's not a slap in the face to the U of M that they don't want to play here - it could simply be a decision in their self interest. What that self interest may be is debateable, but I hope we stop crying about losing these guys in the future.

Give me a Maresh, a Campion, a Hageman, a Salamon any day over trying to coax a McNeal or a Floyd to "grace us" with his presence.

One Name - William Avery

God, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

God, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Do you know what his academic background was and how much Duke lowered their standards for him. I don't think anyone thinks that a school holds an athlete to the exact same entrance requirements as a regular student, but these top flight academic institutions still maintain a higher bar on entrance requirements than we do. The U may have higher entrance requirements than the SEC schools(with the exception of Vanderbilt) but to use our entrace requirements as a excuse if you cannot get the talent you need is not acceptable because there are schools out there with more stringent requirements for athletes than we do that are still bringing in better classes.

Top Bottom