Midnight Madness Highlight Recap

HardwoodElite

Reaction score
Here is a new highlight video from the Gophers' All-Star Friday Night:

Those were some nasty dunks by Rodney. Nice highlights. Good beat too.

Anyone know if there's a way to watch a replay of the whole night?

This video does a very nice job of capturing the highlights. As said by many others, Wally and Charles looked very good in this event. Performing that well as freshman during your first event as a Gopher is very impressive.

Both those freshman have great looking strokes. Buggs dunk was insane for his height, dance... well not very good. Kinda has a Durant looking release.

Man, I have a feeling Buggs may be my favorite player by the end of the season.

Okay, that behind the back dunk by Buggs was quite nice.

Most athletic in the B1G? Very possible. We have a lot of guys who can run and jump quite nice. Now if they can put a basketball in the basket consistently, we're on to something good haha

Great highlight video. Far superior to the official Gopher highlight reel. Buggs looks as nasty as I remembered. There aren't many people in the nation, much less of his size, that can pull of a behind-the-back dunk like that. And his stroke looked smooth too. He looked much better than he did at Pulley, as did Ellenson, and I think that's encouraging. Austin Hollins' shot was COMPLETELY broken though. I wonder if he tried to tinker with it over the summer.

Hardwood Elite puts together some great videos. Love that site.

Joe's attack to the rim looked quite nice. If he has improved as a ball handler, that would eliminate a few TOs a game.

Concerning with the reports on Hollins' shot, he needs to be able to keep teams from sinking on us. Having 3 guys that can stroke it from the outside is very very very important to keeping the lane open for Mbakwe and Rodney

Joe's attack to the rim looked quite nice. If he has improved as a ball handler, that would eliminate a few TOs a game.

Concerning with the reports on Hollins' shot, he needs to be able to keep teams from sinking on us. Having 3 guys that can stroke it from the outside is very very very important to keeping the lane open for Mbakwe and Rodney

Hopefully it was just one bad night for Austin. He was laughing about it which makes me think it may have been a fluke. If he would have looked pissed off/frustrated I would be more inclined to think it was an ongoing thing.

I'm not worried about Austin at all. He's one of the few guys on the team that has had a smooth looking jumper since high school. He'll be fine.

Sometimes you'll have off nights, Austin's showed enough in his 2nd year to tell me he'll be a threat out there still.

I am a strong believer in a strong point guard, and I think Andre is going to remind us all of Flip Saunders this year.

I assume Don is joking, but I have a bet with some of my friends that at the end of Andre Hollin's career we'll be looking at him as our version of Mateen Cleaves. Maybe it's just the smile that made my make that drunken comparison, and I'm not sure that means we'll have a national championship under our belt by the time he's through, but I expect big things from him and his leadership.

I am a strong believer in a strong point guard, and I think Andre is going to remind us all of Flip Saunders this year.

I would assume most on gopherhole weren't born when flip was playing at the U. But then again we are "Blue Hair U"

Great highlight video. Far superior to the official Gopher highlight reel. Buggs looks as nasty as I remembered. There aren't many people in the nation, much less of his size, that can pull of a behind-the-back dunk like that. And his stroke looked smooth too. He looked much better than he did at Pulley, as did Ellenson, and I think that's encouraging. Austin Hollins' shot was COMPLETELY broken though. I wonder if he tried to tinker with it over the summer.

Wally was all over Austin. That's why I think he will be Tubby's favorite player before we know it. Austin did have 2 steals in one minute though. He will be fine. the older kids were there to have fun and the younger ones were there to fight for playing time. I watched Wally during the warmup. He must have had 10 3's in a row. Our wonderful GH experts kept saying how bad a shooter he was since he was not recruited by UW. I think Wally will be even better that Blake one day. I know it was only 10 minutes but I never got this feeling last year from anyone. I think this team is not as talented as the 2009 team but it a much more hard working team. There has been enough posts about Charles. Where are those who called the 2012 class a bust. Please come back and admit that you were wrong if you are a true Gopher fan. I know this was a short fun activity but really feel good about this team. Dre seemed careless with the ball again but once the smile went away, it was all business and he became the NIT Dre. He will be great also.

Go Gophers

Wally was all over Austin. That's why I think he will be Tubby's favorite player before we know it. Austin did have 2 steals in one minute though. He will be fine. the older kids were there to have fun and the younger ones were there to fight for playing time. I watched Wally during the warmup. He must have had 10 3's in a row. Our wonderful GH experts kept saying how bad a shooter he was since he was not recruited by UW. I think Wally will be even better that Blake one day. I know it was only 10 minutes but I never got this feeling last year from anyone. I think this team is not as talented as the 2009 team but it a much more hard working team. There has been enough posts about Charles. Where are those who called the 2012 class a bust. Please come back and admit that you were wrong if you are a true Gopher fan. I know this was a short fun activity but really feel good about this team. Dre seemed careless with the ball again but once the smile went away, it was all business and he became the NIT Dre. He will be great also.

Go Gophers

Wally may very well be a great shooter here. I just think people fail to realize how truly great Blake was at shooting the 3. I don't know that anyone will ever overtake him. He still was the best shooter in the gym on Friday.

Wally may very well be a great shooter here. I just think people fail to realize how truly great Blake was at shooting the 3. I don't know that anyone will ever overtake him. He still was the best shooter in the gym on Friday.

Agreed, but was he that good during his 1st three years here. Wally seems be ahead already with better defensive moves than Blake.

Go Gophers

Agreed, but was he that good during his 1st three years here. Wally seems be ahead already with better defensive moves than Blake.

Go Gophers

Tough to say that Wally is ahead of Blake already after one scrimmage. By the end of the year you may be able to make your argument if Wally is shooting the lights out from behind the arc but at this point your statement seems very premature.

I have witnessed Wally being streaky with his shooting. On occasion he has hit several jumpers in a row and on other occasions he has struggled to find a consistent shot. I witnessed the string of jump shots referenced above during Friday's warm-ups. If Wally has found a consistent jump shot, with his athleticism, he has a change to be a very special player at MN.

Agreed, but was he that good during his 1st three years here.

Hoffarber shot 38.9% freshman year and made an average of 2.5 of them per game. His sophomore year he shot an incredible 46.7% and averaged 2.4 made threes per game. So yes, he was that good his first three years here.

Wally seems be ahead already with better defensive moves than Blake.

I'm excited about Wally and hope he has a great career here, but are you really basing that off of 2 shot attempts in the scrimmage? Yes he made them both, but it was two shots. The sample size you are judging him from right now is hilariously small. Having said that, you don't need to be as good as Hoffarber to be considered a great shooter. If you set the bar that high then you're going to be disappointed by every player that comes here.

This video is excellent. Hardwood Elite, you do a great job with all your videos as your individual player HL packages on YouTube are also consistently better than the other packages put out for the same player. This particular video is much better than the U's own MM recap video.

This video is excellent. Hardwood Elite, you do a great job with all your videos as your individual player HL packages on YouTube are also consistently better than the other packages put out for the same player. This particular video is much better than the U's own MM recap video.

Thanks! Thanks to everyone else for the kind words as well. Always nice getting feedback.

It was fun to watch the scrimmage, wish it went a bit longer. I guess we will have to wait for the season to make more comparisons. The popcorn was average at best.

Top Bottom