Michigan State picks up Branden Dawson

Matt Painter Must Be Stunned

But Izzo is a fabulous recruiter who gets little credit for that aspect of his coaching skills.

Big day for Izzo.
No kidding. Izzo is unbelievable...easily one of the top 2-3 coaches in all of college bball IMO.

Didn't he pick up Trice in less than a week?! Didn't the article say he just got an offer from them in the last few days? If so, that's flat out crazy Izzo managed to snarf him up.

No kidding. Izzo is unbelievable...easily one of the top 2-3 coaches in all of college bball IMO.

Didn't he pick up Trice in less than a week?! Didn't the article say he just got an offer from them in the last few days? If so, that's flat out crazy Izzo managed to snarf him up.

If you want to play in FF, Michigan State is the destination with the best chance (6 FF in last 12 years).

Classic package deal. I thought a coach like Izzo was above that but apprently not :(

Both are Big 10 caliber and (I think) Gophers offered both, too.

Not saying Trice isn't Big 10 caliber, but how in the world do you know? Sure seems like you like to make a lot of very confident and "factual" statements about things that you really know little to nothing about.

Not saying Trice isn't Big 10 caliber, but how in the world do you know? Sure seems like you like to make a lot of very confident and "factual" statements about things that you really know little to nothing about.

One way to tell is how many Big 10 teams offered him. They don't usually offer to players who aren't B10 caliber.

The 2010 recruiting class of Minnesota had no Big Ten offers. Explain to me what that means in fot talk.

Hollins had SEC offers. Walker had Big East offers. Eliason had Pac-10 offer. Osenieks had Big East and Big 12 offer. Each is certainly Div I caliber.

Ahanmisi is the 12th or 13th man on the roster. Good potential but mostly a late spring replacement for a late transfer (Cobbs).

I read a lot. I know a couple of assistant coaches (who are on the road recruiting) and I value their opinions. And I've followed recruiting quite avidly since 1965. You learn stuff by doing it for a long time.

Classic package deal. I thought a coach like Izzo was above that but apprently not :(

Not a package deal at all. There's been a lot of talk about Izzo wanting to add a PG to this class. He watched Trice play in 20 or so games this summer and decided that was the guy he wanted. People think it was a package deal because he played on the same team as Dawson but Trice's father talks about how Trice and Dawson aren't really close they just play on the same AAU team. Buddies, but not really close friends.

http://noise.typepad.com/hey_joe/2010/08/the-story-on-trice.html

Also Allen was a senior this year, his dismissal doesn't effect Trice being offered at all. We had 4 scholarships for 2011 all along. Allen's scholarship will likely be given to a walk on this year.

Jealous a bit?

Absolutely. Who wouldn't be? Dawson is a 5* top 20 player - from Indiana no less.

If this would've happened to the Gophers you would be up in arms too. Imagine if C. Joseph would've committed to Texas the same day one of his unknown AAU buddies got an offer out of the blue from Rick Barnes?

FWIW, there are some grumblings that Tubby tried to do the same thing by offering Trice recently. I don't buy that one bit because there was zero chance Dawson would've come to Minnesota in the first place.

I would be upset about not getting the player whatever the reason, but I wouldn't go whine about it on another team's board saying it's a classic package deal, especially when I don't know whether that's true or not. Trice isn't some scrub player anyway. Even if it were a package deal, so what?

Absolutely. Who wouldn't be? Dawson is a 5* top 20 player - from Indiana no less.

If this would've happened to the Gophers you would be up in arms too. Imagine if C. Joseph would've committed to Texas the same day one of his unknown AAU buddies got an offer out of the blue from Rick Barnes?

FWIW, there are some grumblings that Tubby tried to do the same thing by offering Trice recently. I don't buy that one bit because there was zero chance Dawson would've come to Minnesota in the first place.

Top Bottom