MICHIGAN ON NBC

Great tailgate news. There was only one 11:00 am game this past weekend in the B1G so perhaps we will see a lot less of them in the future. I hope so.

The Peacock games are getting more numerous though. Screw that.

Great tailgate news. There was only one 11:00 am game this past weekend in the B1G so perhaps we will see a lot less of them in the future. I hope so.

You like night college football? Ughh…. It is the opposite of everything on campus football should be.

They’ve got two weeks to figure out and un-f___ what has been exposed the last two weeks, if they want to avoid national embarrassment.

Much prefer 2:30, but the tailgate lots should be good with this.

Yes. I love night college football. The energy level is always higher and more festive. It is exactly everything what college football on campus should be.

This. Love night games, the energy is definitely higher and the national audience will be there to watch us upset Michigan.

Go Gophers!!

This week 6 slate is a clear demonstration that the Big Ten Network is going to take a backseat to all other rights holders when it comes to conference games in the mid-season.

Big Ten needs to be careful not to make BTN irrelevant. People won't complain the next time there's a rights/fees battle if all they are missing is their team's annual FCS game

I was going to come up for that game with my Michigan buddy, but after Saturday's debacle, and now a night game (we were going to do a same-day up and back), I called it off. I can't bring myself to spend $500 to watch us lose by 40.
Same happened for me and the NW game. The game time threw a wrench in our usual day trip to that game...

This week 6 slate is a clear demonstration that the Big Ten Network is going to take a backseat to all other rights holders when it comes to conference games in the mid-season.

Big Ten needs to be careful not to make BTN irrelevant. People won't complain the next time there's a rights/fees battle if all they are missing is their team's annual FCS game
With BTN's tie in to Fox, I think the rights/fees only becomes a battle when those networks (ie FS1, FoxNews etc) are involved (which also could happen).

With BTN's tie in to Fox, I think the rights/fees only becomes a battle when those networks (ie FS1, FoxNews etc) are involved (which also could happen).
I'm more talking about BTN's ability to charge subscription fees, which comprise the lion's share of the revenue. BTN currently charges quite a bit to cable subscribers, even those who don't like Big Ten Football because many people get upset if they miss their team's games.

If BTN doesn't have any meaningful live football games their leverage with cable companies plummets. If that goes past a certain tipping point the next time Charter or Comcast says no to a carriage cost hike, the fan brigade won't be there to protest. They will be happy to save money on that channel they watch one FCS game a year.

That would be terrible for the Big Ten's finances.

CBS doesn't even get a game week 6. The Big Ten needs the 4 new schools ASAP to fill out the TV schedule it agreed to. Once they are here there may be enough B1G games to make sure BTN gets a couple every weekend during the conference season.

Not saying it's at all likely, but how crazy would it be if we upset Michigan on NBC during primetime......
Sports are crazy. I love PJ but as of 9/25/23 I am ready for a break-up. If he upsets Michigan two weeks later I will be singing "Nothing's gonna stop us now!"

I'm more talking about BTN's ability to charge subscription fees, which comprise the lion's share of the revenue. BTN currently charges quite a bit to cable subscribers, even those who don't like Big Ten Football because many people get upset if they miss their team's games.

If BTN doesn't have any meaningful live football games their leverage with cable companies plummets. If that goes past a certain tipping point the next time Charter or Comcast says no to a carriage cost hike, the fan brigade won't be there to protest. They will be happy to save money on that channel they watch one FCS game a year.

CBS doesn't even get a game week 6. The Big Ten needs the 4 new schools ASAP to fill out the TV schedule it agreed to. Once they are here there may be enough B1G games to make sure BTN gets a couple every weekend during the conference season.
There's also going to be a ton of basketball games with 18 teams. Cable subscriber fees are a declining revenue source in any event. Hence they want the $$ from NBC/Fox/CBS.

I get all that, but BTN is also tied into Fox so I don't think their rights negotiating is completely autonomous. My Fox Sports App includes the BTN.

As for CBS, they basically are getting a half a package this year because they still have the SEC rights through the end of the season. They get more games next year going forward, but there will also be more inventory with additional schools being added.

You have probably seen this, but I didn't see it as I scanned the on the GopherHole board!

Party On Gophers

Michigan GOs DOWN!!!

Not saying it's at all likely, but how crazy would it be if we upset Michigan on NBC during primetime......
After watching the first few games this year, I think an upset would be us losing by less than 3 touchdowns...

I’m… surprised… NBC wants us anywhere near a primetime slot the way we’ve played, even a “rivalry” game against a media darling. This might be Iowa at Penn State 2.0.

The channel bundlers don’t have a choice. If they want FOX, FS1, FoxNews in their bundle, they have to also take BTN and put it on the same bundle. It’s all or nothing.

Part of the advantage of having FOX as a half-owner of BTN. It’s in their self-interest to do that.

Every cable system in a state that has a Big Ten team within its border, will get the treatment. Same for Sat and streaming customers in those markets.

Top Bottom