Michigan @ Minnesota Betting Line

So Vegas predicting about 30-14. They've got more faith in the defense than I do right now. Spread seems about right, but I might get on that over.

Hopefully defense figured out some stuff in 2nd half vs UL.

Mich had a huge win over Neb, and overlooking us, think they have it made in the shade.

All I want is a competitive game. Let's go boys!

Wow, I was expecting more like Gophers +21. I would hate to do this because I never bet against the Gophs, but if I had no emotional interest, I would jump on that line with a Michigan bet. I really, really hope I am wrong. But the Wolverines are impressive.

After Fleck’s first few years, I never would have thought Fleck would be an almost 20 point underdog at home in year 7. Listening to him in the off season you would have never thought that either.

Stat to know: Michigan has scored at least 30 points and allowed seven or fewer in all five of its games this year. The only other teams in the past 50 years to do that are Florida State in 1993 and Alabama in 1979 -- both won the national title.

Hopefully we know how to use the last 18 seconds of the game if it comes to that...:p

Talk about thrill of victory followed immediately by despair of defeat.

Michigan is really really good but we will probably be the best team they've played yet. Catch a couple breaks and maybe we can make a game of it.

I watched a chunk of the NEB game yesterday and the same Husker Def we struggled with the MICH Off was like a hot knife through butter and I think most NEB fans would say that was a fair assessment. I watched a bit at the end, and MICH pulled back a bit. I think they could have tacked on another score of two if they had interest. I am not too optimistic that the Def doesn't get their pants pulled down in front of a national prime-time audience next Sat.

Quickly moved to 18.5
yeah 19.5-20.5 is about where i would've thought. Think if it gets over 21 may side with the gophers. We seem to be a little better straight stopping the run, though I worry about McCarthy scrambling/extending plays. Really hope we don't just sit back in zone and try do this one or we definitely are giving up over 40.

The gophers have lost by 20+ just one time since Nov 14 2020
And that game was 17-10 at halftime

They have lost by 20+ 4 times since Nov 4, 2018.
Two of those were Covid year.
One of those was a 17-10 game at half. (2022 penn state)
One of those was 10-7 at half (2019 wisconsin)

Minnesota in 2021 was involved in a game in which the betting line had the spread at -31, yet the underdog not only beat the spread—it went on to win the game outright! So, it can happen. Theoretically.

I think either we get totally destroyed or it’s a surprisingly close game that comes down to the last series or two. I don’t see a two touchdown result in this one. It’s great to have marquee games like this in our stadium!

Betting lines are weird.

I'm sure it's just math and a little inside info but I don't know how you account for the fact that the top teams in the B1G will sometimes take the lead and RUTM to just grind it out vs another B1G team. They end up with 2 score wins or something where it's also pretty clear they could have made it 3 or 4 if they wanted to.

Just depends on the coach's whim / what they want that day.

But I'm guessing the guys who know, know ...

maxresdefault.jpg

Next to the term "odd duck" in the Urban Dictionary is a picture of Jim Harbaugh. His teams usually cruise, but I can't think of a lot of times (and granted I don't watch that much Michigan football) that he just goes out to run up the score. I'm not a bettor, but this is one of those really tough games for me to figure. I can see Michigan covering the spread even at 20.5 and still being under the O/U. If Harbaugh gets up 31-0 in the 3rd quarter and the Gophers aren't even sniffing an extended drive, does he take his foot off the gas?

I'm not seeing a win for our guys, but Fleck may be turning to Mattel Talking Football (look it up youngsters) for his play-calling.

I will say this much. With all the hoopla about all the other QBs in the country, I think McCarthy is right up there in terms of talent. He can make some boneheaded throws, but he does play within Harbaugh's system (which doesn't call for a lot of all-out slinging) and I have to wonder if that makes him a bit underrated.

Michigan hasn’t played anybody of note yet, hard to get a true gauge. That said we know they are going to be pretty damn good in all phases. The wild card in my mind is whether the MN players start making plays, whether the rapid learning under fire by the new defensive players bears fruit, and then maybe some finesse and well-timed (or lucky) calls from the coordinators. If Fleck tries to outshine his mentor Schiano with classic Fleckball, who is a better details guy, probably going to get steamrolled like they did. Special teams…geez make some changes? Kesich is a weapon, use him. Then, make sacrifices to the football gods. Go against tendencies say, on first down. Trust Athan, let him grow. And they saw that it was good.

Last edited:

Is PJ's goal this week to beat Michigan?

Or is it to get into Iowa week in the best condition possible?

Betting lines might tell you what people are thinking.

Michigan hasn’t played anybody of note yet, hard to get a true gauge. That said we know they are going to be pretty damn good in all phases. The wild card in my mind is whether the MN players start making plays, whether the rapid learning under fire by the new defensive players bears fruit, and then maybe some finesse and well-timed (or lucky) calls from the coordinators. If Fleck tries to outshine his mentor Schiano with classic Fleckball, who is a better details guy, probably going to get steamrolled like they did. Special teams…geez make some changes? Kesich is a weapon, use him. Then, make sacrifices to the football gods. Go against tendencies say, on first down. Trust Athan, let him grow. And they saw that it was good.

To the extent comparisons matter, we have had a common opponent: Nebraska. The respective games and results bode poorly for the Gophers. But hope springs eternal. Love to see a game where special teams adds to our offensive potential and helps us gain some field position advantage, etc. Could be the difference in a game against a powerhouse like Michigan.

To the extent comparisons matter, we have had a common opponent: Nebraska. The respective games and results bode poorly for the Gophers. But hope springs eternal. Love to see a game where special teams adds to our offensive potential and helps us gain some field position advantage, etc. Could be the difference in a game against a powerhouse like Michigan.

Yeah, this would be a near-miraculous win and a field-stormer. Their defense looks to be great and their offense is super-efficient. McCarthy can make plays. Nobody outside of homers will pick the Gophers in an upset bid. The spread might be generous, honestly, and maybe reflects Michigan tending not to run up the score like some teams. Then again, CFB is crazy in a good way and anything can happen if the stars align and players get hot or cold.

Nebraska, yes common opponent. When Nebraska played Michigan looks like they had a QB making his third start, had lost their bruising RB that gave Baranowski such problems. Our passing game has shown flickers of life since week 1. The run game has found a couple gamers. Lots of learning and growing on defense.

As per Vegasinsider.com at 11:00 am PDT (don't know why MINN is listed as MINNST):
Screenshot_20231002-111359_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20231002-112246_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20231002-112302_Samsung Internet.jpg

Top Bottom