Michigan HC Jim Harbaugh reportedly interviewing with the Vikings

They're stuck with each other for a couple years now I guess.

Why wouldn't Harbaugh ask the Dolphins to hire him?

Is the Flores lawsuit preventing that?

Not sure what to make of this line in the Strib. It's the beat writer so he must have some contacts who know.

"The Vikings spent most of Wednesday interviewing Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh, but never made him a job offer, said a source with knowledge of the discussions."

Not sure what to make of this line in the Strib. It's the beat writer so he must have some contacts who know.

"The Vikings spent most of Wednesday interviewing Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh, but never made him a job offer, said a source with knowledge of the discussions."
Kind of the opposite of an online comment. Harbaugh supposedly withdrew from considerations.

Maybe the non-Wilf owner who hated Harbaugh knows where the bodies are buried.

Is the Flores lawsuit preventing thatWord is that

Is the Flores lawsuit preventing that?
Word is/was (even before the Flores lawsuit) that Dolphin's owner Stephen Ross, didn't want to piss off Michigan, where he has many relationships. One being the Taj Mahal "Stephen M. Ross School of Business" that he built and paid for.

Ross.JPG

Welcome to the youth movement Vikings fans.

It is interesting that Kevin Oconnell has connections to both KAM and Kirk Cousins.

It will be an interesting Spring and Summer.

Analyze this.

Last edited:

Welcome to the youth movement Vikings fans.

It is interesting that Kevin Oconnell has connections to both KAM and Kirk Cousins.

It will be an interesting Spring and Summer.

Analyze this.

Youth Movement! I agree and as a getting to be older dude, The youth movement is where the NFL has been going for a few years. The athleticism is off the charts compared to even five years ago. I think this has a lot to do with high school and college football becoming more of a year round sport. The training they do is so advanced the players become better athletes and players.

Folks might have been a bit premature thinking it was Harbaugh's job if he wanted it. Michigan might be "thrilled" to have him back, but he certainly shortened his leash. From "The Athletic"

"What happened with Harbaugh?

Graff: The Vikings made it clear with Harbaugh that he was coming to town for a true formal interview like any other candidate, not one arriving as a formality with an offer already on the table. By Wednesday evening, people on the Vikings’ search committee still had reservations about hiring Harbaugh, according to a source, and the team decided that O’Connell better aligns with their stated goal of seeking continuity and collaboration."

Folks might have been a bit premature thinking it was Harbaugh's job if he wanted it. Michigan might be "thrilled" to have him back, but he certainly shortened his leash. From "The Athletic"

Graff: The Vikings made it clear with Harbaugh that he was coming to town for a true formal interview like any other candidate, not one arriving as a formality with an offer already on the table. By Wednesday evening, people on the Vikings’ search committee still had reservations about hiring Harbaugh, according to a source, and the team decided that O’Connell better aligns with their stated goal of seeking continuity and collaboration."
Do you really think he shortened his leash in the last year?

he took a cut. (Covid)
took another cut (bad season)
Won the big ten, beat Ohio state, made playoff

Any AD who fired him would be out within a year of the first 7-5 or worse season (harbaugh’s worst non Covid season at Michigan is 8-4)

the team decided that O’Connell better aligns with their stated goal of seeking continuity and collaboration."

Collaboration is the greatest buzzword out there.

PUKE

Harbaugh was likely kicking the tires at some level and who can really blame him. He may have wanted a lot more control than what the Vikings were willing to offer. It would have been interesting to see what Harbaugh would have done if he was given more power over the on-field product than most current head coaches possess. Vikings are in a bit of a gray zone and Harbaugh may have gone the route of clearing the decks (which might happen anyway although I think the Wilfs would sign off on that with great reluctance) and that might have influenced the Vikings' decision.

My thoughts are that Harbaugh and Vikings were both serious but I think Harbaugh and the staff he would want to bring in would cost a fortune. My guess is that control and numbers played a big role in not moving forward. Plus, not sure if Harbaugh and GM would see eye to eye on what needs to happen with current talent on roster. Think Vikings are in clean house mode, while Harbaugh may be in win now mode.

My thoughts are that Harbaugh and Vikings were both serious but I think Harbaugh and the staff he would want to bring in would cost a fortune. My guess is that control and numbers played a big role in not moving forward. Plus, not sure if Harbaugh and GM would see eye to eye on what needs to happen with current talent on roster. Think Vikings are in clean house mode, while Harbaugh may be in win now mode.
KAM and KOC crossed path during their time with the Forty Niners.

KOC was the QB coach with Washington when KC was there.

There is something to be said about history and creating a true collaborative environment.

Analytics and Cost Benefit Analysis also come to bear. As mentioned, Harbaugh and his cadre of coaches may be a little costly. Harbaugh probably want more total control.

My hunch is that they will run KC’s contract out and start looking in a new direction with their QB future. I will expect a few veterans being traded.

It is going to be painful in the short term when they rebuild with younger talent. I MHO, they will fix the OL.

Interesting times lay ahead.

Last edited:

Harbaugh disrespected KAM. Made off the cuff joke about his hire as GM.

Vikings stuff aside I am really surprised this all ended with Harbaugh staying at Michigan. That can't sit well with some of their fans and if the team struggles at all next year I could see people using this NFL flirtation against him.

There is some similarity to when Mason made it very clear he wanted the Ohio State job. Things were different after that in terms of how he was at the U and how the fanbase viewed him. He still lasted multiple years but the upward trajectory from the first few years took a huge hit and his attitude towards the U changed as well.

The big difference between Harbaugh and Mason is of course that Mason was going after his dream job at Ohio State whereas Harbaugh is probably already at his dream college job with Michigan. The only question left with Harbaugh is just how strong the allure of the NFL is for him and how soon he will try to get an NFL job again.

Vikings stuff aside I am really surprised this all ended with Harbaugh staying at Michigan. That can't sit well with some of their fans and if the team struggles at all next year I could see people using this NFL flirtation against him.

There is some similarity to when Mason made it very clear he wanted the Ohio State job. Things were different after that in terms of how he was at the U and how the fanbase viewed him. He still lasted multiple years but the upward trajectory from the first few years took a huge hit and his attitude towards the U changed as well.

The big difference between Harbaugh and Mason is of course that Mason was going after his dream job at Ohio State whereas Harbaugh is probably already at his dream college job with Michigan. The only question left with Harbaugh is just how strong the allure of the NFL is for him and how soon he will try to get an NFL job again.
I'm not. I don't think he was high on the list of interviews and probably was added with the GM hire.

KAN and KOC crossed path during their time with the Forty Niners.

KOC was the QB coach with Washington when KC was there.

There is something to be said about history and creating a true collaborative environment.

Analytics and Cost Benefit Analysis also come to bear. As mentioned, Harbaugh and his cadre of coaches may be a little costly. Harbaugh probably want more total control.

My hunch is that they will run KC’s contract out and start looking in a new direction with their QB future. I will expect a few veterans being traded.

It is going to be painful in the short term when they rebuild with younger talent. I MHO, they will fix the OL.

Interesting times lay ahead.
I'm guessing this probably played a major role in the decision. For all the talk about younger coaches and analytics being the wave of the future, guys like Belichick, Arians, and Reid are still sticking around in their comparative golden years, so I don't think age was that big a difference. Harbaugh likely had a vision that didn't match that of the decision-makers and he would have demanded a lot of control over personnel matters. I still think watching a Harbaugh/Cousins relationship could have produced a lot hilarity similar to Ditka/Harbaugh.

Not really. If he wants to go to nfl it means he can’t get along with the admin? Pretty big leap. A lot of people want to coach in the nfl
Its really not but hey neither of us are part of the discussions so who knows.

Top Bottom