Miami TE Cam McCormick granted ninth year of eligibility

Taji34

Reaction score
Miami tight end Cam McCormick confirmed Thursday that he'd be returning to play for the Hurricanes in 2024 -- his ninth season of college football.

McCormick, who began his career at Oregon in 2016, missed significant parts of four different seasons due to injury, which along with his redshirt year and the COVID year of 2020, allowed him to petition the NCAA for an unprecedented ninth season of eligibility.

McCormick announced his return on X, formerly Twitter, on Thursday with the tagline "the pursuit of excellence has no goal line," calling 2024 his "last ride."

His college career is longer than Andrew Luck's NFL career. Also started college the same year as Jalen Hurts, Dexter Lawrence, and Nick Bosa.

You'd hope he'd have a masters or PhD by this point . . . or have gotten a second (or even third) undergrad degree.....
Classes are always easier the 2nd or 3rd time. He must have talent being with Oregon now Miami.

Really, what's the point of any academic requirements for college athletes? With the waivers, transfers, NIL, and extensions, it doesn't feel to me as a fan as though a player is any different from a contract employee of the university. Drop all the requirements and term limits on them and let them play for the team whether they are students or not for as long as the player and coach agree.

Good for him. If you're not an NFL prospect, and you have a chance to continue your education and get a masters covered by scholarship (it's very hard to get master's for free in the USA) then go for it.

Good for him. If you're not an NFL prospect, and you have a chance to continue your education and get a masters covered by scholarship (it's very hard to get master's for free in the USA) then go for it.
his goal has been said to be to play in the NFL.

Congratulations, Dr. McCormick!
tommy-boy-pics-2.gif

Can someone explain to me how this works? Where am I going wrong?
1) You can have a redshirt year
2) You can have 4 years as to playing
3) You have the 1 year as to Covid
I take it you can have 3 years of medical issues? How often does that happen?

Depends on how many times a player gets injured, I guess.

Seriously, this keeps up and he'll just head straight in to collecting social security,

Did anyone else read this and think of the immortal words of future Senator Blutarsky?

”Seven years of college down the drain.”

In the article it explained that he broke his leg in 2018, and then complications from that caused him to miss 2019 and 2020 (and then he got the COVID year everyone got in 2020). Then he injured his foot 2 weeks into 2021 and missed the rest of the season.

Certainly an outlier for sure.

The gravy boat came in and ballooned to extended stay.

Really, what's the point of any academic requirements for college athletes? With the waivers, transfers, NIL, and extensions, it doesn't feel to me as a fan as though a player is any different from a contract employee of the university. Drop all the requirements and term limits on them and let them play for the team whether they are students or not for as long as the player and coach agree.
Have to go to school, but that and a standard minimum GPA is all that should be required. If someone is injured 4 times and can't play, they should be able to get to play if the team wants them. I would say being on scholarship should be a requirement as well.

Pretty nice. Go right from playing football to collecting social security.

You'd hope he'd have a masters or PhD by this point . . . or have gotten a second (or even third) undergrad degree.....
He does have his bachelors and masters degrees. He's always struck me as a good person, I believe he has a hearing problem that he's had to overcome as well. He's just had a ton of injuries, without those I think he'd be playing on Sundays.

Top Bottom