Miami picks up K-State transfer, kid gets $800K over 2 years plus a car.

Go Gophers!!
Good grief. I wonder how this affects the potential Hunter transfer. Wasn't Pack rumored to Purdue? They must have gotten outbid.

Take a look at Life Wallet's web site...they are a Miami tech company (health care ap) that is all in on helping Miami U get players via NIL. Crazy.

Last edited:

I’m guessing not having to take classes is close to the new reality. I mean boosters pay a kid big money he isn’t going to ever have to worry about eligibility. But maybe it’s always been a little like that .

At least payola can be done in the open.
I’m guessing not having to take classes is close to the new reality. I mean boosters pay a kid big money he isn’t going to ever have to worry about eligibility. But maybe it’s always been a little like that .
At least payola can be done in the open now.

Does this mean he has to stay there 2 years or can he still up and leave whenever he feels like it?
I think it is a contract no matter the school. It his name, imahe, and likeness. But there is a also a quid pro quo requirement. Maybe they structure that so it is locally based. Tgus, making the Miami metro the only practical place he could play.

Go Gophers!!
Its just a matter of 2 years before colleges an high schools tell athletes to take a hike . They will drop all sports an let someone else deal with the BS. If they want to use the fields an arenas, so be it, the price will step, very or build your own.

Its just a matter of 2 years before colleges an high schools tell athletes to take a hike . They will drop all sports an let someone else deal with the BS. If they want to use the fields an arenas, so be it, the price will step, very or build your own.
Yes, these poor universities with their altruistic aim towards amateur athletics will just shut it down and turn away from the TV deals brought about by March Madness, the BCS playoffs, conference networks, and on and on and on. This makes even more sense when NIL has allowed all the focus away from the universities having to pay student-athletes and rather have the funding come from outside sources. You really thought this one through.

If you ever needed more evidence we could tax companies more; this is it:

400k per year to have an above average basketball player no one’s ever heard of go to a second or third tier basketball school
The two subjects have zero connection. Unbelievable.

I’m not sure. On one hand, now I know (after a few Twitter clicks) that the guy who tweeted this is in the medical business but also co owns a luxury boat racing team with his sons called something like Cigarette racing, so effective advertising by reaching a new audience. On the other hand, tax the ultra wealthy.

This is a tax deductible “business” expense
They should at least remove the ability to deduct pay for play for college athletes. (Which would be a tax hike)

They should at least remove the ability to deduct pay for play for college athletes. (Which would be a tax hike)
That I can agree with. If they can deduct pay for play, I should be able to deduct the cost of my tickets at least as much as the required “donation.”

Exactly. If ticket "donations" are no longer deductible, this shouldn't be either. There's no functional difference.

In the Football board, there is a thread based on an article on Sports Illustrated.com. The Notre Dame AD is predicting that the present conference structure will not last. He is predicting that by the mid 2030's (which is when a lot of the current media rights deals come up for renegotiation), there will be a split in D1 sports. the AD claims that a lot of schools would like to get out of their current conference agreements, but they don't want to forfeit the media dollars.

under his theory, some D1 schools will continue the traditional student-athlete model, with athletes enrolled as students and subject to academic requirements.

But, other schools will create a new model where the athletes are essentially employees of the school and will not be required to be enrolled as students.

the Notre Dame AD also talks about NIL. basically says it has taken the old "under the table" payments and brought them out in the open.

In the Football board, there is a thread based on an article on Sports Illustrated.com. The Notre Dame AD is predicting that the present conference structure will not last. He is predicting that by the mid 2030's (which is when a lot of the current media rights deals come up for renegotiation), there will be a split in D1 sports. the AD claims that a lot of schools would like to get out of their current conference agreements, but they don't want to forfeit the media dollars.

under his theory, some D1 schools will continue the traditional student-athlete model, with athletes enrolled as students and subject to academic requirements.

But, other schools will create a new model where the athletes are essentially employees of the school and will not be required to be enrolled as students.

the Notre Dame AD also talks about NIL. basically says it has taken the old "under the table" payments and brought them out in the open.
Even if that’s all true, the lower level that they are “student athletes” will not be allowed to limit NIL short of either:
A) an act of Congress
Or
B) all state legislatures involved passing the same rules

Good luck

No you can’t. They are considered license fees and are no longer deductible. That went away a few years ago when standard deduction went up substantially and a lot of miscellaneous deductions went away. For what it’s worth, I’m okay with that but don’t think the current legalized pay for play expenses should be deductible either.

So who is going to watch the minor development league teams that happen to be run by a colleges instead of some sports franchise? There is a whole level of story lines and fan loyalties that come with college sports. How do they expect that to carry over to a league of teams that only use the names of the schools and is filled with free agents?

The NHL and MLB shows that the minor leagues are built on minimum paid players with minimal fan bases. Without the actual school connections, you lose the devoted fan base. No fan base, no TV revenue

Afraid NIL is here to stay...need to return to old transfer rule...ineligible for 1 year.

No you can’t. They are considered license fees and are no longer deductible. That went away a few years ago when standard deduction went up substantially and a lot of miscellaneous deductions went away. For what it’s worth, I’m okay with that but don’t think the current legalized pay for play expenses should be deductible either.
News to me. Good to know. Can deduct your brick purchase though.

Yup, the schools and AD's have nothing to do with NIL......

Yup, the schools and AD's have nothing to do with NIL......

as they say, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. The idea behind NIL was fine - allow players to market their own t-shirts and posters to make a few bucks, or go shake hands and pose for photos at Fred's Used Car Lot for a couple of hours.

But then, people quickly figured out that they could use NIL as a way to turn the old 'under-the-table' payment system into a legal 'above-the-table' system by forming these "collectives" and using them to pay players through NIL deals. and the schools really can't do anything about it - OR they don't want to do anything about it, depending on your point of view.

the only way to stop this would be through a bill in Congress. the NCAA has made it pretty clear they are not going to try and regulate this.

So, until Congress steps in (don't hold your breath), schools have to decide if they - and their boosters - are going to play the NIL game or not.

Hey, if I had a few million $ sitting around, I would be willing to contribute to a Gopher NIL Collective.

I just have to find a few million $ somewhere.

Maybe the government will screw up my next Social Security check and put the decimal in the wrong place..........

So who is going to watch the minor development league teams that happen to be run by a colleges instead of some sports franchise? There is a whole level of story lines and fan loyalties that come with college sports. How do they expect that to carry over to a league of teams that only use the names of the schools and is filled with free agents?

The NHL and MLB shows that the minor leagues are built on minimum paid players with minimal fan bases. Without the actual school connections, you lose the devoted fan base. No fan base, no TV revenue
It will do as well as the XFL, World League, etc. have done. Not well at all. There might be a minor league for SEC football that makes it. That's about it.

Yes, these poor universities with their altruistic aim towards amateur athletics will just shut it down and turn away from the TV deals brought about by March Madness, the BCS playoffs, conference networks, and on and on and on. This makes even more sense when NIL has allowed all the focus away from the universities having to pay student-athletes and rather have the funding come from outside sources. You really thought this one through.
Granted he grooved it but you didn't miss. Good swing. Upper deck.

Top Bottom