Memo to Tubby

Doc1001

Reaction score
Tubby--I know your routine before you retire for the evening. Read the gopher hole--say your prayers --and kiss your wife good night. So here is a memo to you:
Your players need to be more aggressive in rebounding. I have noticed all year long that your big men arent nearly intense enough in grabbing that rebound. When its a 50-50 chance at the rebound it seems the opposition usually gets it. Sampson and Iverson mainly to blame but others need to be less soft also. Here is what needs to be done if possible. Bring someone like Jim Brewer in as the twins do with with Tom Kelly and Paul Molitor. Do the rebounding drill the gophers did in the Mussleman era or something like that. They didnt just rebound. They ripped the ball. They snatched it. The rebound was THEIRS. Our big men are are way too passive. Why should the opposition get the rebound more often than not. No more pussyfooting around. They dont know what aggressive is. Wonder if anyone else is old enough to remember how Brewer and the boys tore into rebounds. It was like a man among boys. And they did it with flair.Someone needs to provide an intense in-service on what real rebounding is.

This is really odd timing for this post given how we crushed Wisconsin on the boards last night 41-28.

Last night

was an aberration. Been watching passive rebounding all year.

Earlier in the season I would have agreed with you, but they have out rebounded their opponents in conference play 471-468 including 5 out of the last 6 games they played.

I loved their work ethic last night! Needless to say....this is the type of effort that means more than just stats....it's contagious and builds confidence. And Doc....loved those Mussleman teams!

Do the rebounding drill the gophers did in the Mussleman era or something like that. They didnt just rebound. They ripped the ball. They snatched it. The rebound was THEIRS. Our big men are are way too passive. Why should the opposition get the rebound more often than not. No more pussyfooting around. They dont know what aggressive is. Wonder if anyone else is old enough to remember how Brewer and the boys tore into rebounds. It was like a man among boys. And they did it with flair.Someone needs to provide an intense in-service on what real rebounding is.

What was the drill? I just started coaching a middle school team for the first time ever and I can't get them to be very aggressive on the boards...

Back in the day when I played on the high school level, our coach put a rebar type lid on top of the rim. Coach would throw it up and the battles took place! Five on five. He used it to school us up on the fast break too....not sure what drill(s) Muss used. Doc?

Mussleman

I dont know what the drill was exactly as it was so long ago but I know the rebounding exercise was brutal. You didnt just rebound but you did it with flair. You ripped the ball. The closest thing to that I have seen in the big ten is Michigan State. Izzo wouldnt put up with the passive style we have had for the most part. They work very hard on it. It has been better lately but its a world apart from where it can be. Sampson and Iverson and others have alot to learn. They are young and I dont blame them. They need to know what rebounding really is. I am tired of them going after the ball that is up for grabs and the opposing team more often than not goes up and gets it. It needs to be as if YOU own the ball.

This is really odd timing for this post given how we crushed Wisconsin on the boards last night 41-28.

WHEN ARE PEOPLE FINALLY GOING TO UNDERSTAND.......

that turnovers and shooting percentages have as much to do with actual rebounding statistics as effort and aggressiveness?

When the opposing team commits only 5 turnovers and shoots 30% from the field, and you commit 11 turnovers and shoot 48% from the field you are going to outrebound your opponent 99% of the time.

There's a reason Michigan State ALWAYS leads the BT in rebounding. They play the best DEFENSE BEFORE a shot is taken. Thus, their opponents miss more shots, and hopefully as we all know it is easier to come up with a defensive rebound than an offensive rebound.

Very few rebounds come down to aggressiveness and hustle. Most of the time the rebound is determined by the defense played by the opposing team. Don't give up layups, force a tough outside shot, and you will come up with the rebound 80% of the time.

The Gophers got lucky last night because they didn't play good defense - it just happened that the Vadgers missed a ton of open 3 pointers.

Very few rebounds come down to aggressiveness and hustle.

I agree generally with what you are saying, but I disagree with this. Rebounding comes down to position and effort. Position has to do with what kind of defense you are playing (zone/man) and how well you are playing that (letting them penetrate, or forcing a shot). This is the point you were trying to make. I agree that correct positioning on defense and what you do before the shot has quite a bit to do with the rebound.

However, a lot of it comes down to the mentality and the effort of the player. How hard are you fighting? How hard are you boxing out? Are you positioning yourself on the far side of the basket? Are you willing to get a little dirty? This is the reason Charles Barkley and Dennis Rodman were consistently such amazing rebounders -- they had the correct rebounding attitude to the absolute max.

Mostly just semantics, I wanted to emphasize that rebounding does have a lot to do with effort/aggressiveness, but a lot of that effort/aggressiveness is found in how well the player positions himself for the rebound before the shot.

I say all of this because rebounding is how I made my living in highschool -- I just got after it.

I agree generally with what you are saying, but I disagree with this. Rebounding comes down to position and effort. Position has to do with what kind of defense you are playing (zone/man) and how well you are playing that (letting them penetrate, or forcing a shot). This is the point you were trying to make. I agree that correct positioning on defense and what you do before the shot has quite a bit to do with the rebound.

However, a lot of it comes down to the mentality and the effort of the player. How hard are you fighting? How hard are you boxing out? Are you positioning yourself on the far side of the basket? Are you willing to get a little dirty? This is the reason Charles Barkley and Dennis Rodman were consistently such amazing rebounders -- they had the correct rebounding attitude to the absolute max.

Mostly just semantics, I wanted to emphasize that rebounding does have a lot to do with effort/aggressiveness, but a lot of that effort/aggressiveness is found in how well the player positions himself for the rebound before the shot.

I say all of this because rebounding is how I made my living in highschool -- I just got after it.

Position, yes. And I think anticipation goes hand-&-glove with effort.

Top Bottom