Memo to Mack Brown...WHAT THE F@#*?????

josh087

Sharing Common Sense & Reality
Reaction score
You almost let the clock run out with 30 seconds to play, a timeout in hand, and a NC game berth on the line. ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE. I keep posting these ranting messages each time somebody does something this stupid - but again, all of you out there complaining about Brewster's clock management, just realize that he has never done anything CLOSE to this stupid. So what if he uses a timeout with 13:00 left in the 3rd quarter. ARE YOU KIDDING ME GOPHER FANS????!!!! We have seen time after time this season that college football coaches are incapable of realizing what is going on. The fact that Brew has been in many tight games and hasn't done something like this is actually a positive sign for me. From Les Miles, to Chris Petersen, to Mack Brown, no title winning coach is immune. STUPIDLY MORONIC MACK BROWN. I only wish that field goal was missed.

My thoughts exactly. That's almost a firable offense for a coach whose team is seconds away from a national championship game berth. Can you imagine the reaction here and in the media if that were Brewster? Even with the win? Texas loses that game a few years ago with no replay -- and deservedly so.

That was unbelievable. McCoy said afterwards that he was going to simply try to center the ball, but a lane didn't present itself so he rolled out and threw it away. If you're just trying to center the ball why even risk letting it run out or a fumbled snap or anything else? Let it tick down to :04 seconds, call TO, get your kicking group onto the field.

That said, we're lucky Texas won. Had Nebby won that, we very well could have ended up in Detroit for the bowl game.

I think they. had two time-outs left, didn't they? No excuse either on the sideline or the field for the way it unfolded. That said, I'm glad Texas won.

I think both coaches made moves down the stretch that were very questionable. If Brewster would have made these moves, he would have been ripped and criticized endlessly.

Nebraska basically gave up on running down the clock and gaining yardage and settled for the 45 (give or take) yard field goal after they got that first down. I thought they should have at least tried to gain some yardage. One more first down and they could have run the clock down under one minute and had a shorter field goal. Although both teams have good kickers, depending on a college kid to hit a 40+ yd FG in that situation is asking a lot. Even without the kick out of bounds and the personal foul penalty, they left plenty of time on the clock for Texas to move into FG position.

Brew would have also been drilled for the kick out of bounds and the horsecollar tackle. I hate the horse collar penalty by the way. Soon any tackle above the waist is going to be a penalty.

And for Brown, I could not believe they even lined up for that last play before the FG. Looking at the Nebraska defense, I don't think they expected another play, either. Suh was a step away from sacking McCoy, and could have potentially batted the ball and created an interception. Their line was pretty much just standing around until just before the snap. Had they not put one second on the clock, this could have been a bonehead move on the lines of Leon Lett, Jim Marshall, Les Miles, etc. A fireable offense among many on this board.

"Brew would have also been drilled for the kick out of bounds"

was it Wisky or Illinois?

They could have run the last play to try to gain a few yards with a lot more time on the clock and then called the timeout at a few seconds left if they hadn't stood around for so long after their second to last one - no idea what they were doing.

Several columnists arguing based on the fact that it appears Nebraska got HOSED with the "1 second back on the clock" call (I didn't see the last 2 minutes of the game, but that's the consensus) and their overall horrible performance against a Nebraska team they should have steamrolled that Texas shouldn't get a NC spot. I'm inclined to agree. I'm also inclined to say that Cincy TCU and Boise are going to have some more to say this year about the system. Last year was one thing with Utah going undefeated, and it only being ONE team. This year, if all three win their bowl game? Can you imagine the insanity?

Another year, another good example of how fun an 8-team playoff would be right now.

Top Bottom