Media Predictions: Minnesota vs Maryland

Don Markus with the Baltimore Sun writes earlier this week:

A different start to the gantlet.

Locksley said he is not going to think past Saturday’s game against Minnesota, and why should he? The Gophers are 7-0 in P.J. Fleck’s third season coaching, and while they haven’t played anybody of note, they are starting to play like a team that can go from spoilers to dark horse to Big Ten West champion.

After that, the Terps take on the Wolverines and Ohio State, then get a bye week before playing Nebraska at home and finishing the season on the road at Michigan State. Locksley is learning, as Canada did last season and as DJ Durkin did his first two years, that winning in the Big Ten East on a regular basis is only something a few teams can do.

It didn’t seem out of the realm of possibility that Maryland could pull off an upset against Minnesota a few weeks ago when the Terps won their first two games and the Gophers squeaked by in their first four games, including three-point wins at Fresno State and over Georgia Southern.

While the competition has not exactly been stellar, Minnesota has won its past three games by a combined 113-31 over Illinois (which upset No. 6 Wisconsin, 24-23, Saturday in Champaign), Nebraska and Rutgers. Maryland’s best shot is if the Gophers look past the Terps to their own gantlet, starting with Penn State on Nov. 9.

Here's the link: https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports...0191020-w6hve6qoi5b3lmychmittsme3m-story.html

Hoping Coach's emphasis on each week being 0-0 will work again...plus just a better performance on the field than the last two games against the Turtles.

IMO this game is far bigger than Penn St. We should be able to beat Maryland at home. It will show that we’ve separated from the middle of the pack B1G teams. Penn St is a legitimate top 10 team and is probably better than we are right now. Take care of Maryland and NW, and one of Iowa or Wisky and the West is in play along with the best season of our lifetimes.

We get Penn State at home, that’s a huge advantage for us, as opposed to playing them in their stadium. They have one of the loudest stadiums in college football, look what they did to Michigan with their noise. I think we stand a chance with everyone left on the schedule at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I hear quotes about the Gophers season to date and how the team has “not played anyone of note” I can’t help but think of those delusional Nebraska fans and their blackshirts.

Nebraska is now not anyone of note.

Don Markus with the Baltimore Sun writes earlier this week:

A different start to the gantlet.

Locksley said he is not going to think past Saturday’s game against Minnesota, and why should he? The Gophers are 7-0 in P.J. Fleck’s third season coaching, and while they haven’t played anybody of note, they are starting to play like a team that can go from spoilers to dark horse to Big Ten West champion.

After that, the Terps take on the Wolverines and Ohio State, then get a bye week before playing Nebraska at home and finishing the season on the road at Michigan State. Locksley is learning, as Canada did last season and as DJ Durkin did his first two years, that winning in the Big Ten East on a regular basis is only something a few teams can do.

It didn’t seem out of the realm of possibility that Maryland could pull off an upset against Minnesota a few weeks ago when the Terps won their first two games and the Gophers squeaked by in their first four games, including three-point wins at Fresno State and over Georgia Southern.

While the competition has not exactly been stellar, Minnesota has won its past three games by a combined 113-31 over Illinois (which upset No. 6 Wisconsin, 24-23, Saturday in Champaign), Nebraska and Rutgers. Maryland’s best shot is if the Gophers look past the Terps to their own gantlet, starting with Penn State on Nov. 9.

Here's the link: https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports...0191020-w6hve6qoi5b3lmychmittsme3m-story.html

Hoping Coach's emphasis on each week being 0-0 will work again...plus just a better performance on the field than the last two games against the Turtles.

It’s “gauntlet” not “gantlet” Mr. Pulitzer prize winner.

Probably more a Pulitzer Putz winner. Nice catch. Where's the spellchecker...err...editor or copyboy...when you need one?

WTOP chimes in:

Maryland (3-4, 1-3 Big Ten) at No. 17 Minnesota (7-0), 3:30 p.m. (ESPN)

Before we even think about the November gauntlet of Michigan-Ohio State-Nebraska-Michigan State, the Terps have to deal with the unbeaten West Division leaders.

The Golden Gophers could easily have started 0-4, winning each of their September games by a touchdown or less. Given a reprieve, the October Gophers have blasted their foes this month by an average score of 39-10. They’re also led by the 1-2 punch of quarterback Tanner Morgan (66% completion rate with 16 touchdowns and 3 interceptions) and running back Rodney Smith (5.7 yards per carry).

Maryland starts a pair of true freshmen in their secondary and ranks last in the Big Ten at stopping the pass. Offensively, they’ll get quarterback Josh Jackson and running back Anthony McFarland back from ankle injuries. Both will be operating behind a banged up offensive line that’s started the same five just twice this fall.

Presto’s Pick: Terrapins tumble, 27-14

https://wtop.com/ncaa-football/2019...ball-picks-tricks-treats-trials-tribulations/

Go Gophers!!

WTOP chimes in:

Maryland (3-4, 1-3 Big Ten) at No. 17 Minnesota (7-0), 3:30 p.m. (ESPN)

Before we even think about the November gauntlet of Michigan-Ohio State-Nebraska-Michigan State, the Terps have to deal with the unbeaten West Division leaders.

The Golden Gophers could easily have started 0-4, winning each of their September games by a touchdown or less. Given a reprieve, the October Gophers have blasted their foes this month by an average score of 39-10. They’re also led by the 1-2 punch of quarterback Tanner Morgan (66% completion rate with 16 touchdowns and 3 interceptions) and running back Rodney Smith (5.7 yards per carry).

Maryland starts a pair of true freshmen in their secondary and ranks last in the Big Ten at stopping the pass. Offensively, they’ll get quarterback Josh Jackson and running back Anthony McFarland back from ankle injuries. Both will be operating behind a banged up offensive line that’s started the same five just twice this fall.

Presto’s Pick: Terrapins tumble, 27-14

https://wtop.com/ncaa-football/2019...ball-picks-tricks-treats-trials-tribulations/

Go Gophers!!

Any prediction that has us scoring less than 30 against Maryland's defense is suspect to me. We've score 34+ in all but one game so far, and are averaging 38.5 in Big Ten play.

It’s “gauntlet” not “gantlet” Mr. Pulitzer prize winner.

Probably more of an arrogant dink just trying to show he is smarter than the rest of us, so he uses an alternate spelling.

gantlet

<!--FL--> noun <!-- HW word syllables --> <!-- Note: only displaying if there are syllables --> gant·​let <!-- HW & AHW text prons -->

<!--VRs--> <!--Entry level ins (if def is present)--> <!--STATREF--> <!--Subheader--> <!-- DEF GLOBAL WIDGET: Trend watch: START --> <!--1a. entry title --> less common spelling of gauntlet

<!--2. Cognate x-ref fields, Example: bani --> <!--3. Entry level sls --> <!--4. Entry level def --> 1 : a glove worn with medieval armor to protect the hand

2 : any of various protective gloves used especially in industry

3 : an open challenge (as to combat) —used in phrases like throw down the gauntlet

4 : a dress glove extending above the wrist

This is a dangerous game against the Terps.

I don’t know if we win by a little or win by a lot, but I’m confident we score on the twerps.

Sam chimes in:

Maryland (3-4, 1-3) at No. 17 Minnesota (7-0, 4-0)

2:30 p.m., ESPN

Anyone else feeling a letdown by the Gophers after three straight blowout wins? I am. Maryland has the skill players to make it fun, too.

Line: Minnesota by 16½

My pick: Minnesota 35, Maryland 31

https://www.starherald.com/sports/b...cle_eb506190-74ed-5551-86c5-5e871c452157.html

Go Gophers!!

A let down is possible....but something tells me we are going to kick it into high gear and try to make a statement tomorrow. Just a feeling. I think this team feels like they have something to prove and going out and blowing out yet another Big Ten team would do that. Their defense should not be able to stop our offense on a beautiful fall afternoon in the Twin Cities.

Everyone remaining on the schedule are most likely circling their calendar and gunning to stop the Gophers BigMo machine.

Top Bottom