Media Predictions for Gophers - Boilermakers Game

I really hope the point spread is a little wider than that.. yikes.

How have we done against the spread this year? Anyone keeping track?

How have we done against the spread this year? Anyone keeping track?

Vegas Insider says 4-2 against the spread.

The Gophers definitely covered it in the two Big Ten games as they were underdogs going into the Michigan game and I believe a 3 point favorite against Northwestern.

Obviously, they didn't cover it against TCU. I believe they failed to cover it against MTSU (an 11 point win) as well. So that must mean that they covered it against Eastern IL and San Jose St.

How many homecoming games have the Gophers won?

We will ball control the game and it will be similar to the Northwestern game.

i am seeing about 27-14 game

I watched the little BTN in 60 today with Purdue vs MSU. I was actually pretty impressed with Purdue' offense. I don't think their defense will pose enough of a threat to beat us, but I'm thinking it will be a close game. Something along the lines of 34-27...

5 of the 6 reporters from ESPN pick the Gophers, with Dan Murphy picking Purdue.

Why Minnesota will win: Purdue is rapidly improving and growing into the kind of physical team Darrell Hazell wants. But Minnesota already has that kind of team. The Gophers are surging thanks to strong defensive work, solid special teams and a shorten-the-game approach on offense. The Boilermakers' young defense will have trouble containing David Cobb and the Gophers will move to 6-1. ... Minnesota 27, Purdue 16 -- Brian Bennett

Why Purdue will win: It's time to sell high on the Gophers. Minnesota has pounded its way to a 5-1 record despite ranking 124th in passing offense. Purdue's offense under sophomore quarterback Austin Appleby has shown a new propensity for big plays. The Boilermakers hung 31 on Michigan State's stingy defense a week ago with the help of a much-improved offensive line. If Appleby can get going early, he might be able to force Minnesota out of its David Cobb comfort zone and sneak away with the Big Ten upset of the week. ... Purdue 31, Minnesota 27 -- Dan Murphy

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/109176/big-ten-predictions-week-8-4

Go Gophers!!

5 of the 6 reporters from ESPN pick the Gophers, with Dan Murphy picking Purdue.

Why Minnesota will win: Purdue is rapidly improving and growing into the kind of physical team Darrell Hazell wants. But Minnesota already has that kind of team. The Gophers are surging thanks to strong defensive work, solid special teams and a shorten-the-game approach on offense. The Boilermakers' young defense will have trouble containing David Cobb and the Gophers will move to 6-1. ... Minnesota 27, Purdue 16 -- Brian Bennett

Why Purdue will win: It's time to sell high on the Gophers. Minnesota has pounded its way to a 5-1 record despite ranking 124th in passing offense. Purdue's offense under sophomore quarterback Austin Appleby has shown a new propensity for big plays. The Boilermakers hung 31 on Michigan State's stingy defense a week ago with the help of a much-improved offensive line. If Appleby can get going early, he might be able to force Minnesota out of its David Cobb comfort zone and sneak away with the Big Ten upset of the week. ... Purdue 31, Minnesota 27 -- Dan Murphy

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/109176/big-ten-predictions-week-8-4

Go Gophers!!

We've been very balanced in big ten play with 320 passing yards and 327 rushing yards. It's the SJSU game and the non-conference in general that is still making our passing statistics look bad. The "Minnesota can't throw" argument isn't actually true the past two games and the passing game's efficiency has helped Minnesota get to 5-1 recently.

Everyone say it with me ... Dan Murphy is a dink.

Everyone say it with me ... Dan Murphy is a dink.

I'll start by saying I think the Gophers will win, but he made some fair points. 31 points vs. MSU is an impressive offensive performance. Purdue is the first team to score 30+ vs MSU since Georgia put up 30 in the Outback bowl at the end of the 2011 season (and Georgia needed 3OT to do so).

I'll start by saying I think the Gophers will win, but he made some fair points. 31 points vs. MSU is an impressive offensive performance. Purdue is the first team to score 30+ vs MSU since Georgia put up 30 in the Outback bowl at the end of the 2011 season (and Georgia needed 3OT to do so).

I watched the game. Purdue scored 14 late, when MSU relaxed as they've been prone to do. Sparty dominated the game and won it early, then coasted. We've been guilty of that in our non-conference games. Seems to be human nature.

Oregon tossed 46 on them earlier this year, 28 of which came in the 2nd half.

MSU's offense has gone to a different level than previous years, but I wouldn't be confusing their defense with that of years past...

Still, I agree. Purdue hung with Notre Dame, and although I'd argue that MSU let them back in the game, fact is they still had the ball down 7 late in the 4th quarter. Just show up, and the Gophers will lose.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1469789.html

Purdue (3-4) at Minnesota (5-1) Oct. 18, 12:00, BTN

Here's The Deal: All of a sudden, Minnesota has to be paid attention to.

The Gophers are on a three game winning streak, and while there aren’t any killer wins on the slate, beating up Michigan on the road always looks good for a program that’s been a tradition punching bag for the Maize and Blue, and beating Northwestern the week after it beat Wisconsin now means it’s time to start thinking about the possibilities. With Illinois up next, and a home game at Iowa to follow, if the Gophers play up to their capabilities, they could and should be 8-1 when Ohio State comes to town. Going to Nebraska and Wisconsin might end the dream, but still, being relevant deep into November is a big deal.

Purdue is improving. A nightmare last year, all of a sudden, with a stunning win over Illinois, a win over a Western Michigan team that’s making noise in the MAC, and a strong fight against Michigan State, coming up with a push with the 45-31 final score not quite indicative of how tight the game was, this is starting to turn into a better and better team. With Nebraska and Wisconsin up next, it could be a rough run, but the goal is to keep moving forward and showing signs that the Boilermakers might become more of a player soon.

Can this be a good game? The last six meetings between the two have been double-digit decisions, but this should be a fight.

Why Purdue Might Win: When the Boilermakers have been able to load up and stop the run, it’s worked. Last week, the back seven held back a bit of the line and had to watch out for the high-octane Spartan passing game, and it showed as there were way too many big runs into the second level. Purdue isn’t going to stop what Minnesota wants to do on the ground, but this hasn’t been as consistent a Minnesota rushing attack as it appears. Stopped by Northwestern, Minnesota has gone past the 200-yard mark three times with no passing to go along with it. Purdue should be able to sell out and not get burned.

Why Minnesota Might Win: The Gopher run defense has been outstanding, allowing just 733 yards on the year and just 3.6 yards per carry. TCU was the only team to crank out over four yards a pop, and while Purdue has a few home run hitters, and it can tear off a few big runs from time to time, it’s going to have to come down to the passing game to keep the chains moving. Minnesota doesn’t allow much of anything down the field, and while it might give up dinks and dunks, it won’t get torched.

Who To Watch Out For: Purdue sophomore QB Austin Appleby is starting to come into his own. With four 200-yard games on the year, and a 198er against Southern Illinois, he’s giving the offense a passing attack that’s been missing for a while. While he’s inconsistent, he’s accurate lately hitting 75% of his throws against Illinois and 65% against Michigan State. Purdue is 3-0 when he doesn’t throw an interception, and 0-4 when he does – he has to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

What’s Going To Happen: It’s going to be a typical Minnesota game. The running attack will control the tempo and the clock, and the defense and special teams will take care of the rest. Purdue will provide a bit of a fight, but it won’t be able to score enough against a D that’s allowed 38 points in the last three games.

Prediction: Minnesota 30 … Purdue 17
Line: Minnesota -14 o/u: 48.5
Must Watch Factor: 5: Birdman – 1: The Voice (now that the blind auditions are over) … 2.5

College Football News - Gophers Will Win

Duplicate post.

Minnesota Football Game Predictions: Purdue Boilermakers

By Matt Humbert

It's October 17th and the Minnesota Golden Gophers are undefeated in the Big Ten. Predictions for the upcoming battle against the Boilermakers, and a declaration we will not write about what we're all thinking.

Just another Friday of football prognostication and beer recs. I'll make every attempt to ensure this is a #TAKES free zone, though Chaos Theory applies in the comment section.

To read Matt’s latest prognostication click on the link below.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2014/...football-game-predictions-purdue-boilermakers

[/QUOTE]Who To Watch Out For: Purdue sophomore QB Austin Appleby is starting to come into his own. With four 200-yard games on the year, and a 198er against Southern Illinois, he’s giving the offense a passing attack that’s been missing for a while. While he’s inconsistent, he’s accurate lately hitting 75% of his throws against Illinois and 65% against Michigan State. Purdue is 3-0 when he doesn’t throw an interception, and 0-4 when he does – he has to keep the mistakes to a minimum. [/QUOTE]

LOL! Gotta love CFN's lack of research. Appleby was just named the starter 2 games ago vs. Illinois.

Purdue is terrible. Enjoy another W.

Purdue Blawg: http://www.hammerandrails.com/2014/10/17/6994763/purdue-at-minnesota-h-r-staff-picks

Purdue 14, Minnesota 38
Purdue 35, Minnesota 17
Minnesota 30, Purdue 27
Purdue 34, Minnesota 31
Minnesota 31, Purdue 20

Yeah I read that. Just like jNWU bloggers and really everyone they are leaning on the MN can't pass angle as the reason MN will lose.

Except Leidner has averaged 8.64 YPA in Big Ten play, which people seem to discount because well I don't know why I guess they want us to deviate from a winning formula just because that would be neat? They also kind of over-rate our rushing attack on the same false premise, that total yards is an important number. They also underrate our D on the "total yards" fallacy ignoring offensive efficiency for and vs our defense. It's like were back in the era where baseball hitters weren't credited with drawing walks because HITTING.

Purdue Blawg: http://www.hammerandrails.com/2014/10/17/6994763/purdue-at-minnesota-h-r-staff-picks

Purdue 14, Minnesota 38
Purdue 35, Minnesota 17
Minnesota 30, Purdue 27
Purdue 34, Minnesota 31
Minnesota 31, Purdue 20

One guy there says we are 115th in the nation in yards allowed. We're 35th. Nice research, dolt. Still, at 35th, we can't rely on stopping the Boilermarker offense led by the second coming of Johnny Unitas, Austin Appleby.

Playing relatively tough against a good opponent does not make you a good team. Washington State played Oregon tough (much tougher than Purdue played MSU, in fact). Washington State stinks. Purdue's improving. They still stink.

One guy there says we are 115th in the nation in yards allowed. We're 35th. Nice research, dolt. Still, at 35th, we can't rely on stopping the Boilermarker offense led by the second coming of Johnny Unitas, Austin Appleby.

Playing relatively tough against a good opponent does not make you a good team. Washington State played Oregon tough (much tougher than Purdue played MSU, in fact). Washington State stinks. Purdue's improving. They still stink.

That would be the 2nd coming of Bob Griese, Unitas went to Louisville ;)

It's probably been mentioned her but the massaged ratings (F+, Football Outsiders) has MN ranked higher than MSU on defense after their, uh, troubles thus far. I believe 26th vs 40th.

Top Bottom